Kick-Butt Snacks for the Busy Soccer Mom

Do you cringe when you hear "Mom, don't forget it's your turn to bring snacks"?  Don't panic. We're here to help.

kids playing soccer

A fast-food stop might be the easiest route -- but it's obviously not the healthiest option. Registered dietitian Diane Henderiks has tips for when it's your turn to bring snacks.

Here are some quick and easy snack ideas for game time nourishment:

1. Fruit: Sliced oranges, grapes and apple slices hold up the best.

2. PB&J on whole wheat, cut into quarters

3. Yogurt: The small 4-6 ounce containers work great.

4. Whole grain crackers with cheese sticks or squares, like Cabot Cheese 50% Reduced Fat individual squares.

5. Trail mix: Combine raisins, almonds, peanuts and semi-sweet chocolate chips for a kid-friendly trail mix. Bring in individual ziptop bags for each kid.

Don't forget water ... hydration is very important for your mini-Beckhams. And if you're in need of more help, check out our team mom's top tips for keeping track of all the details.

Read more food and entertaining stories.

next: Trans fats linked to miscarriage
Dee September 19, 2008, 8:55 AM

Due to the large number of children with nut allergies, you should never take anything with nuts as a snack for a large group of children that are not close personal friends.

Leigh September 19, 2008, 9:41 AM

Or, bag the whole “snack” thing altogether, kids do not need them at all after what amounts to an hour of activity.I find it hard to believe that children, after an hour of playing soccer on a shortened field, are so famished that they need desparately to eat before going home. Where they can eat, or just wait for lunch like we all did when we were young!

Crystal September 22, 2008, 5:46 PM

I don’t know what kind of lazy child you’re talking about, but my son plays on the six and over league, and runs continuously for forty five minutes with two three minute breaks in 95 degree weather, with shin guards and heavy socks. My son has visible sweat running down his bright red face. It doesn’t take long for his 39 pound body to dehydrate. Adequate snacks such as watermelon orange slices and plenty of water are essential.

lalena September 2, 2009, 7:57 AM

It is so hard to organize parents to bring healthy snacks. I use a tool I found online www.signupgenius.com/backtoschool that helps me suggest snacks and organize all the parent volunteers that sign up for snacks, fundraisers, and anything else my team needs

mike April 1, 2011, 6:47 AM

great article! mike. I’ll recommend it to all my friends!

Linda May 21, 2011, 4:31 PM

That’s way the bestest asnewr so far!

Turk May 22, 2011, 11:02 AM

Thakns for sharing. Always good to find a real expert.