Should You Pass Gas in front of Your Husband?

Sure, your guy loves you no matter what, but should you hide your gross habits? Our staff weighs in.

Woman covering mouth with hand, looking away

I have a confession.

When I have to use the bathroom, I often leave my house and go to the restaurant next door. Why? I don't want my guy to know I do number two. I admit I'm neurotic--In fact, I once endured a weeklong Mexican vacation without going once. Sure, I ended up with an awful case of constipation--but for me, it was worth it. And it doesn't stop there. I won't remove tampons, fart, or pick my nose in front of my guy.

Friends say I'm nuts--after all, I know my guy loves me no matter what. And it's a safe assumption many men don't share my feelings. From farting jokes to raunchy shows like Family Guy, guys usually have no filter when it comes to their bodily functions--and some find the topic downright hilarious.

But I wonder: Is my behavior a sign I'm not comfortable in my relationship, or am I just plain uptight?

Here's what some momlogic staffers said:

• "I don't do number two with the door open, and I won't pick my zits in front of my husband--and he appreciates this. After all, he doesn't want to see my used tampons or pads lying around. There are some things your guy should never see. It kills the romance!"

• "There is nothing off-limits in my family. However, I won't remove tampons in front of my husband. But putting them in is fair game!"

• "I'll do anything in front of my husband--even number two. Just the other day I had diarrhea while in the bathroom with my hubby and three kids. One of my kids even told me I smelled funny!"

• "Earlier in my relationship, I was horrified if my husband ever heard or smelled a fart escape, but aftermore than a decade of marriage, pretty much anything goes. That said, certain habits of his, like leaving his shaving stubble in the sink or skidmarks in his underwear grosses me out. I have a double standard!"

• "I refuse to floss in front of my husband. What's sexy about having bits of old, smelly food flinging out of your mouth? Plus the faces people make while flossingare downright scary."

• "I don't fart, use the bathroom, or pick my nose in front of my guy. It can dampen the sexual spark. This may change down the road but for now it's better to be a lady."

Says one male staffer:

• "I don't want to see my wife going to the bathroom or picking her nose because there should be a certain level of privacy between two people. Of course I know my wife does these things, but seeing itis far from romantic. I try to keep all my bad habits hidden from her, too. I wouldn't want to gross her out."

Tell us--are there any things you won't do in front of your husband or does anything go?

next: Daytime Talk Show Premieres
Yuck September 8, 2008, 11:10 AM

I so wish my hubby would not scratch himself 24/7, it seems like everytime I’m looking at him he is rearranging his junk or downright digging, I certainly would not do that in front of him!! To make things worse we have 3 boys and they are following in his foot steps. He says all men do it. I’m sure of that, but do they need adjusting every 5 seconds?!?!?!

Linney5680 September 8, 2008, 11:34 AM

FART. i know it is something little, and i wouldn’t mind it if it once in a while, but he does it all the time (obviously not in public places) but at home he’ll let loose….doesn’t even try to do it in another room.

Patti D September 8, 2008, 2:12 PM

The notorious Coke burp! He downs a coke, then rattles the windows with the burp…ugh!

Bonnie September 8, 2008, 2:47 PM

I will not do No.2 in front of my live-in boyfriend of 5 years; in fact, I have not even peed in front of him (except by accident). I prefer to keep the bathroom door closed when I am doing “bathroom” things. My boyfriend, however, leaves the open for everything except wiping himself. He evn comes in while I am in the shower to use the toilet. We are in our 50’s, if it matters.

foxymama September 8, 2008, 3:34 PM

This is funny…bathroom farts, burps and nuimbers 2s totally lessen the sex appeal. But, that’s marriage, right?

Anonymous September 8, 2008, 3:55 PM

Well, wats the point of being in a marriage and relationship when two people can’t be comfortable around each other? I do whatever I need to do in front of my husband. I really don’t find it necessary to excuse myself if I need to pick my nose or something. I am pretty sure my husband has never thought to go somewhere else so he can frat real quick. I mean, everyone’s relationship is different. It is just how comfortable you guys are with each other. We’re only human right?

NWCguy September 8, 2008, 4:30 PM

My wife and I (just over 1 year) do not hide when doing #1, #2, picking, scratching, poping zits, etc. We all do it so who cares…I actually love her more for not being ashamed of it.

Anonymous September 8, 2008, 4:47 PM

I have no problem with bodily functions its nature. I can never imagine having to leave my own house to go to the bathroom!!! Thats absurd. Use discretion, yes, but it all depends on your comfort level with your signifcant other. I know my husband loves me, whether I fart or not, and if I’m pooping in the bathroom, he’ll be so kind as to pass me the “air freshener” if he feels the need..
Lightgen up people! Really!!

Gimme a break September 8, 2008, 6:19 PM

Are you kidding me? How can you live with someone and not be totally relaxed and comfortable around them? Sure, I prefer to do #2 in privacy but with kids about sometimes privacy gets interupted…and I’m certainly not going to the restaurant next door to do it! Absurd definately! After sharing labour and childbirth isn’t everything fair game!

only if your mad at him... September 8, 2008, 6:31 PM

LOL…as a child i was always taught never to burp, fart, pick your nose or scratch in the presence of your loved one…however.. after being married twice I would say if you are mad at him than anything goes…

Karen September 8, 2008, 8:30 PM

I don’t pick my nose or leave the door to the bathroom open when going # 2, Peeing and farting,I don’t care, The tampon thingy though, I actually have a very funny memory of my wedding night (wearing one) and HE had to remove it after our “jacuzzi” experience. Don’t go in a jacuzzi with one in,ladies

MELISSA POTTER September 8, 2008, 11:09 PM

I do not fart, and if I have to go number 2 I have found and a pretty good way to cover, I take a shower right after and the shaampoo and the lotion cover any scent. Another thing I will NOT do is burp, I guess it is the little girl in me but it is just not lady like!

Morning September 8, 2008, 11:48 PM

I can’t imagine how uptight or insecure you have to be in a relationship to have to hide normal bodily functions. I mean I understand at first, but eventually you have to just be yourself and if you can’t that’s really sad!

tempted2 September 9, 2008, 6:18 AM

I don’t do anything that was mentioned in front of my husband. If one of the little wing backings from a pad accidentally falls to the floor (unnoticed by me), he goes insane. Says I’m leaving my “period trash” everywhere, and it disgusts him. This, from the same man whose mom had the huge red douche/enema bag hanging from the back of the door in the bathroom. We’ve been married 17 years. He’s watched the birth of our 3 children and I still close and lock the bathroom doors.

Fran September 9, 2008, 6:23 AM

This is stupid, I farted in front of my husband, wont in public if I can help it. My husband passed last summer at the age of 58, had a paralizing stroke at 50. I did things for him that needed to be done. But he finally convinced me to fart in front of him,lol, we all do. The love of my life, made me realize to fart or not to fart, is dumb. To much more to worry about. Love your partner as is, and be grateful you have them to fart around

Angie The Avereage September 9, 2008, 6:24 AM

I passed a couple of kids, why not gas?

Marie E. Ayuso September 9, 2008, 6:58 AM

Why not? farting is a natural thing…my hubby farts outside the home, but sometimes, anywhere.

ashley September 9, 2008, 7:15 AM

My husband is the grossest man ever created. He used to fart in his hand and then put it in my face. The “Cupper”. EEEWWWWW!!!! Made me gag every time. He thinks its funny when he farts and he waves it towards us. As for me, I try not to fart in front of him, if it happens oh well. I have a tendency to leave tampons in the shower, it totally grosses him out but that is what he gets for all the nasty farts and the fact that I have to wash his stinky skidmarked shorts. The thing he hated the most was when I would squirt breast milk at him. He would freak out.

Frogger September 9, 2008, 7:54 AM

I’ve been with my husband for 8 yrs. After having our oldest son who is 6 and the twins who are 2, anything goes. We don’t have TIME to go hide in the bathroom to pass a little gas every time. When the kids aren’t around to hear it, we make a “contest” out of it…LOL!

CM September 9, 2008, 8:53 AM

Passing gas,not a big deal.Using number 2,no.My husband and I both shut the door and lock it.We both also put on the fan.I will not take care of feminine hygenic things in front of him.Nor my child.I don’t mind peeing in front of her,because she needs to learn to use the potty,but I will raise her to be personal about certain things.Knowing too much about someone takes away the allure.