Should You Pass Gas in front of Your Husband?

Sure, your guy loves you no matter what, but should you hide your gross habits? Our staff weighs in.

Woman covering mouth with hand, looking away

I have a confession.

When I have to use the bathroom, I often leave my house and go to the restaurant next door. Why? I don't want my guy to know I do number two. I admit I'm neurotic--In fact, I once endured a weeklong Mexican vacation without going once. Sure, I ended up with an awful case of constipation--but for me, it was worth it. And it doesn't stop there. I won't remove tampons, fart, or pick my nose in front of my guy.

Friends say I'm nuts--after all, I know my guy loves me no matter what. And it's a safe assumption many men don't share my feelings. From farting jokes to raunchy shows like Family Guy, guys usually have no filter when it comes to their bodily functions--and some find the topic downright hilarious.

But I wonder: Is my behavior a sign I'm not comfortable in my relationship, or am I just plain uptight?

Here's what some momlogic staffers said:

• "I don't do number two with the door open, and I won't pick my zits in front of my husband--and he appreciates this. After all, he doesn't want to see my used tampons or pads lying around. There are some things your guy should never see. It kills the romance!"

• "There is nothing off-limits in my family. However, I won't remove tampons in front of my husband. But putting them in is fair game!"

• "I'll do anything in front of my husband--even number two. Just the other day I had diarrhea while in the bathroom with my hubby and three kids. One of my kids even told me I smelled funny!"

• "Earlier in my relationship, I was horrified if my husband ever heard or smelled a fart escape, but aftermore than a decade of marriage, pretty much anything goes. That said, certain habits of his, like leaving his shaving stubble in the sink or skidmarks in his underwear grosses me out. I have a double standard!"

• "I refuse to floss in front of my husband. What's sexy about having bits of old, smelly food flinging out of your mouth? Plus the faces people make while flossingare downright scary."

• "I don't fart, use the bathroom, or pick my nose in front of my guy. It can dampen the sexual spark. This may change down the road but for now it's better to be a lady."

Says one male staffer:

• "I don't want to see my wife going to the bathroom or picking her nose because there should be a certain level of privacy between two people. Of course I know my wife does these things, but seeing itis far from romantic. I try to keep all my bad habits hidden from her, too. I wouldn't want to gross her out."

Tell us--are there any things you won't do in front of your husband or does anything go?

next: Daytime Talk Show Premieres
Kelley September 9, 2008, 9:22 AM

Since we had kids, I have yet to do anything alone in the bathroom (with the exception of my period). The fact that we don’t hide anything makes us a really tight family. Everything in our lives is open for discussion. (With our kids, it’s within reason, of course.)

Eden September 9, 2008, 9:45 AM

Do you think he doesn’t know you poop? Or that you pass gas? Every living creature poops and passes gas. Geez.

babyontheway!!! September 9, 2008, 9:47 AM

ANYTHING GOES!!!!!!! i’m 32 weeks pregnant. before the pregnancy i’d never fart in front of my husband let alone let him know if i have to poop but since the pregnancy i have been soo gassy and constipated. the constipation cleared up in the second trimester and i wasn’t shy to let my husband know i had to poop. but thruout the pregancy i let out gas anytime i have to. heck it’s not me but just my body changing. no need to keep it in. plus he had part in getting me pregnant and doesn’t share the pain of pregnancy so what’s a little smell in bed? lol i let out the worst farts too. i swear i’m like an air balloon. they are worst farts than him sometimes. REALLY LOUD TOO but i really could care less i’m carrying his unborn baby he should and does appreciate every bit of me including the gas. after the pregnancy i dont’ think i would be so comfortable letting out these farts though. lol they should calm down after the baby comes (hoepfully) :)

M September 9, 2008, 10:13 AM

Married 14 yrs and have never kept the bathroom door open!! In fact, if he is in the kitchen, I’ll go upstairs rather than use the nearby powder room which has a loud ventilation fan. He teases me unmercifully when I pass gas when I’m asleep.
Just the way I was raised, all that should be kept private. And Really?!, it is a reflection of how intimate we can be if he never sees me pee?

A Mama's Rant September 9, 2008, 10:21 AM

I’ve never been able to go #2 in front of anyone - my sister, my husband, or my kids. However, my husband has no qualms. In fact, my kids like hanging out in the bathroom with him when he goes. Then they come out screaming, “Daddy smells!” Also, burping and farting are fair game around here. I just can’t figure out why everyone has so much gas. When I’m that gassy, it’s usually because I’m sick to my stomach. Oh well, just another day in paradise. Get out the room freshener.

e September 9, 2008, 10:21 AM

My husband has a big problem with gas. Farts abound in my house and I just wish he’d try to walk away from us or leave the room, but NO he lets fly wherever he is. Ick.
He has no problem pooping with the door open either, I on the other hand need my privacy or my colon gets shy.
I jus wish he had a little more consideration…other than that we’re pretty open within our family as to what we do. They are natural body processes and well with 4 kids they’re going to happen

YES I pass gas in front of my husband…in fact we have wars.

M, too September 9, 2008, 10:22 AM

I agree with M. My husband and I have been married for 14 years as well and we each respect the others right to “bathroom privacy.” I think it’s funny that other commenters are saying you can’t be close to your spouse without sharing used tampons and poop with him … seriously?! My husband is my best friend, but there are certain bodily functions I don’t share with anybody. Fortunately, he returns the favor! :-)

CC September 9, 2008, 10:23 AM

This discussion is actually pretty funny! I have to tell you I have been married twice. In my first marriage I was the “perfect” little lady. Never burped or farted. Never cussed, either! Nothing! The bathroom door was dead bolted and the shower was running! HaHa! My second husband is an RN. He has seen everything. Nothing shocks him. He burps, farts, whatever, whenever. As far as he’s concerned, it is completely nature and your suppose to do it whenever needed. He is the Director of a hospital floor and when his employees call to update him he burps continuously on the phone. Now, that drives me crazy. He doesn’t care. So I really don’t have to hide anything. If I need to burp or fart I do it and laugh. As far as the bathroom goes, I shut the door. I like privacy when going, that’s just me. He does the same thing. Frankly, I don’t want to smell what is going on there and he doesn’t either. He smells enough of that at work. HaHa!!

Gross September 9, 2008, 10:26 AM

Gross! I’ve never heard of anyone even thinking of removing or inserting a tampon in front of ANYONE. Are you serious? Just because any of these things are normal or because everyone as ugly habits doesn’t mean your husband or wife wants to see you do them.

Wanda September 9, 2008, 10:59 AM

As the wife of an outdoor guide who has “sports” in camp that are 98% men and myself going to guide school with all men and being an huntress and flyfishing woman,I found if they can all do it,so can I but with a bit more silence and respect! As far as #2 goes,hubby always walks in and as long as he doesn’t stand there and watch me wipe,if he enjoys the stink,oh well! LOL.Funny thing is,(He wouldn’t even change our kids diapers unless he HAD too or he would gag!)I don’t need tampons anymore but when I did,I always did that in private,no need to make him gag there but he was in the room at the birth of our twin daughters and loved it:-).

BG September 9, 2008, 11:15 AM

No one should pick their nose in front of folks. Handwashing should immediately follow cleaning the nose. Now farting, it took me a minute, but afterwards, I felt like I could really relax in front of my hubby. We keep the door closed to #2, but would go in or open it if for some reason I had/needed to.

married for 26 yrs September 9, 2008, 11:24 AM

Ever heard of something called “Respect for Others” or even moreso, “Self Respect”?

You can certainly have “open discussions” within a family without having “open bathroom doors”!!

I can’t say that in 26 yrs. we haven’t “walked in” on each other, but then the “RESPECT” come in to play!!

Cindy  September 9, 2008, 11:46 AM

I’ve done EVERYTHING possible in front of my boufriend of 10 years living together! I DO Hate it when he comes in the bathroom with me still though. He has alot of icky habits I don’t like also besides that.

Lindy September 9, 2008, 11:57 AM

I will fart and burp in front of DH. As far as #1, #2, and changing maxi pads/tampons; the door is always closed. He knows I do that stuff but doesn’t need to see it.

Victoria September 9, 2008, 12:30 PM

I feel that in a relationship or marriage, it does not or should not affect sexual spark to be human, and being open about your bodily functions might actually create an opening to help your relationship.
It seems that people are scared of not being loved if they fart, and it is lady like not to do it in front of strangers, yes. But your loved one is different.
You are only going to stress yourself out by worrying every time you have to pee, fart, poop or burp.
Let it out and you may actually be grateful you did.
(And holding it in can actually be bad for your health).

Been there September 9, 2008, 12:46 PM

We’ve been married for 20 years and I fart, burp, poop, and barf if my husband is there or not. It is part of nature, so as as far as I’ m concerned I am still a lady and when I want to be a woman I am.

queen L September 9, 2008, 12:51 PM

I do everything in front of my husband exept change my tampons. why should i hide or hold in when i have to go to the bathroom or fart, he does it in front of me. Besides it’s not healthy to hold stuff in the cleanses your body of toxic waste….

eye September 9, 2008, 2:11 PM

this is sooooo wierd, what if your man wants you to use the potti in front of him.Or what if he offers to get the pads out of the cabinet for you.Mine even tried to go to the local store to buy them for me….

Susan September 9, 2008, 2:45 PM

OK, I’m all for discretion, but having to go next door to use the bathroom or feeling the need to shower every time you go #2 is just absurd!
Holding it for a week on vacation is borderline insane and extremely UNHEALTHY and TOXIC to your body! These are normal bodily functions, people!
I’m not saying you need to leave the door open and announce it, but come on…use your own bathroom and a cleansing wipe is more than sufficient “cleansing” after #2. How paranoid can you be? Seriously, it saddens me to read some of these comments and to see how self-conscious some of you are. It isn’t healthy for you OR your relationship.

J September 9, 2008, 2:52 PM

My husband and I have been together for 9 1/2 years, we do pee in front of each other, but #2 comes with the door close and a courtesy scented spray and the fan running! I don’t mind flossing or brushing my teeth in front of my husband, or blowing my nose. Tampon/pad removal though is a big no-no!!! He has seen me replace a pad but not taking the other one off and tampon watching either way isn’t going to happen!!!