Should You Pass Gas in front of Your Husband?

Sure, your guy loves you no matter what, but should you hide your gross habits? Our staff weighs in.

Woman covering mouth with hand, looking away

I have a confession.

When I have to use the bathroom, I often leave my house and go to the restaurant next door. Why? I don't want my guy to know I do number two. I admit I'm neurotic--In fact, I once endured a weeklong Mexican vacation without going once. Sure, I ended up with an awful case of constipation--but for me, it was worth it. And it doesn't stop there. I won't remove tampons, fart, or pick my nose in front of my guy.

Friends say I'm nuts--after all, I know my guy loves me no matter what. And it's a safe assumption many men don't share my feelings. From farting jokes to raunchy shows like Family Guy, guys usually have no filter when it comes to their bodily functions--and some find the topic downright hilarious.

But I wonder: Is my behavior a sign I'm not comfortable in my relationship, or am I just plain uptight?

Here's what some momlogic staffers said:

• "I don't do number two with the door open, and I won't pick my zits in front of my husband--and he appreciates this. After all, he doesn't want to see my used tampons or pads lying around. There are some things your guy should never see. It kills the romance!"

• "There is nothing off-limits in my family. However, I won't remove tampons in front of my husband. But putting them in is fair game!"

• "I'll do anything in front of my husband--even number two. Just the other day I had diarrhea while in the bathroom with my hubby and three kids. One of my kids even told me I smelled funny!"

• "Earlier in my relationship, I was horrified if my husband ever heard or smelled a fart escape, but aftermore than a decade of marriage, pretty much anything goes. That said, certain habits of his, like leaving his shaving stubble in the sink or skidmarks in his underwear grosses me out. I have a double standard!"

• "I refuse to floss in front of my husband. What's sexy about having bits of old, smelly food flinging out of your mouth? Plus the faces people make while flossingare downright scary."

• "I don't fart, use the bathroom, or pick my nose in front of my guy. It can dampen the sexual spark. This may change down the road but for now it's better to be a lady."

Says one male staffer:

• "I don't want to see my wife going to the bathroom or picking her nose because there should be a certain level of privacy between two people. Of course I know my wife does these things, but seeing itis far from romantic. I try to keep all my bad habits hidden from her, too. I wouldn't want to gross her out."

Tell us--are there any things you won't do in front of your husband or does anything go?

next: Daytime Talk Show Premieres
Allison September 9, 2008, 2:54 PM

After nearly ten years together, my husband and I do all our gross things in front of each other. He is my best friend andthe only person I would do this stuff in front of!

jennifer September 9, 2008, 3:14 PM

I go to my back bathroom cause i dont want no one to know when i go to the bathroom but i dont mind farting or burping. the guys do it so can the ladies…

Delores  September 9, 2008, 4:34 PM

(Fart) Once you let it go infront of each other it kinda brings you closer together lol, I don’t know why but it does.

Amanda September 9, 2008, 5:53 PM

OMG I must be like the most open girl in the world. I will gas, poop, tampon whatever if I have to in front of my husband. It has pretty much always been that way..well at first you know you’re little miss perfect but I can assure you it wasn’t long before he got to know that I have no shame when it comes to bodily function maybe it’s because I’m a nurse and it is part of everyday questions and life for me..but hey my friends think it’s hysterical and my sweetie loves me just the way I am

Miya September 9, 2008, 6:02 PM

You know what.. I pee, and fart in front of my husband, but that is as far as it goes.. everything else should be kept private.. Guys like to imagine us as being perfect.. so give it to them!! My guy does hate when I fart in front of him.. he hates it big time he says women shouldn’t do that but I am not going to hold it in, besides they don’t stink anyway.. they just sound funny!! Zits, poo and period stuff is really gross.. who wants to see that??

missbee September 10, 2008, 8:50 AM

Hey:

We actually compete sometimes with who can rattle the windows. Sorry, but in the end does it really matter? We all got each other’s back. I can hang with the boyz all the way and get in the trenches with the crudeness - that is in the privacy and clutches of our own tight little family circle. BUT out in public we all have to mind our manners and behave!

irma September 10, 2008, 10:48 AM

Hello,
and we wonder why people have such a hard time accepting us for who we are. We don’t even accept our selfs. I don’t mean grossly let loose but if the you can’t be yourself with the one you love then help me out here.!!!!!!! Its always nice to come home and relax and be yourself.

Mrs.Rhone September 10, 2008, 11:07 PM

When me and my husband got together I wouldn’t fart or put tampons in, in front of him. I do put tampons in now and take them out. I don’t do #2 in front of him though but I do it in our house. I try not to fart in front of him but why should I have to get up and go to another room when he doesn’t care to do the same? lol

ivy September 11, 2008, 5:59 PM

I myself dont do the following things because its unlady like. I barely try not to eat gassy foods.On the other hand, my husband is another story. He burps and farts.But they echoo. Same goes with sneezing. Many people without knowing he’s there, realize who it is. He is always saying why don’t I hear you fart? I tell him….For the bathroom, we enter if the other has to go for whatever reason.It sounds silly but everyone is different.

Ha Ha September 13, 2008, 9:04 PM

I have been married for almost 10 years. I will not fart in front of my husband except if I took alot of meds, and cannot control myself. I will not #2 infront of my husband. we have 2 bathrooms and he seems to ALWAYS need something out of the one I just went in!!! But I do not htink it is lady like to do all that in front of your husband. I have 2 kids and not much privacy at all,,,, but I draw the line at farting and going #2!!!!!!!!!

Jill September 15, 2008, 3:20 PM

Lighten up ladies. We all would scratching our junk if we had what they have. It’s not like guys think we don’t fart, burp, and if I dare say it poop. I fart and burp in front of everyone, in fact I farted in front of my father in law and it ended up a bounding moment. It’s not like I have my hubby hold my hand while I have period diarrhea. But I’m close enough to tell hubby about my food babies. For goodness sakes read “Every body poop’s”.

Verdell September 15, 2008, 5:18 PM

My ex-husband and I were married for 27 years and we BOTH never intentionally farted in front of the other. We also closed and locked the bathroom door for #2, turned on the fan and raised the window. My ex also closed the door after he was done and laid a towel on the foor so the odor would not come through the bottom crack. Nose picking and popping zits were also not done. It’s hard enough keeping romance in a marriage without grossing out your partner. If I ever remarried, this would first have to be agreed upon. By the way, before anyone suggests that uptight behavior may have caused the marriage to end, it did not. It probably helped to keep it going as long as it did.

susan September 19, 2008, 2:28 PM

me and my fiance do everything in front of each other. if there was something that we don’t want to see we let each other know. but as far as using the bathroom in front of each other we do it (even with the door open most of the time). we burp in front of each other (we have a couple of belching contests every once in awhile). we fart, pick our noses, to us everyone does it and we love each other and it’s just not a big deal.

Maria September 23, 2008, 5:59 PM

I’ve lived with my fiance for a year now, and at first I couldn’t bear the thought of passing gas in front of him, even though I tend to get very gassy and sometimes do it unintentionally in my sleep. However, he is so understanding and tolerant of everything my body needs to do that I feel more comfortable with him now. I feel as though I don’t have to hide things that I truly can’t help. I’ll still leave the room out of courtesy, but if one puff of gas slips out, it’s not terrible as long as I excuse myself. We can pee in front of each other with no problem, though I do always ask for privacy with #2 because of the embarrassing smell. If I must change tampons or pads in front of him (for example, if I’m very ill and must do it in bed with him there), I at least cover them or fold them over so that he doesn’t have to see the blood.

Dr Doss September 24, 2008, 1:23 AM

I am a man and passing gas should be done in private if possible— however if it doesn’t happen like that it’s not the end of the world.

If you love your wife, you should also love her when she doing #1 or #2 or almost anything else. When I marry I don’t think I’ll change my opinion about that!

Women should not be to self conscious, especially in not leaving their apt. Other than the smell it can be pleasurable for both.

Michele September 26, 2008, 2:51 AM

I can do anything in front of my husband. We have been married for almost 11 years and I am not really sure WHEN I became so comfortable around him. He can’t even pee in front of me…..which cracks me up. I do live by that double standard….because he is NOT allowed to fart in our bedroom and stink it up. :)

My hubby loves me very much September 26, 2008, 11:07 AM

This is insane. I have never ever heard of trying to cover up your period trash???? My hubby takes the trash out of all the bathrooms and the kitchen in our house. He says this is a man’s job. He even takes it out the week Aunt Flow comes to visit. He says it does not bother him it is part of life and I can’t stop it. Now as far as pooping in front of him that’s a no no. My 4 year old daughter is even like that. She wants the door shut and no one around when she goes poopy. But that ok because who wants to smell some one else poop. My 4 year old said she don’t want no one to here her.

Amanda September 26, 2008, 4:38 PM

We’ve been together for almost 6 years and for the first 4 I wouldn’t so much as pass gas when he was in the same room. We all pass gas, I don’t have issues with doing it while he’s in the room, but any of the really gross personal things I do behind closed doors!

JACQUI December 16, 2008, 12:15 AM

When my husband and I were dating, we didnt fart, burp, or show that we had any bodily functions! As for now, anythings game! We are so open in our house! Its just the two of us, so why not? I didnt eat in front of him in the beginning either, I couldnt keep that up for long either! LOL

Anonymous October 10, 2009, 3:54 AM