Inspired by Mom's Tragic Story

Momlogic's Julie: Mom blogger Stephanie Nielson's story touched mothers everywhere, including me.

I had never heard of Stephanie Nielson or her blog the Nie Nie Dialogues before last week -- which was when I read the New York Times piece about her tragic plane crash and horrific injuries. Intrigued, I went to her blog and began to obsessively read. I was awestruck by how absolutely wonderful and magical this 27-year-old mom of four made motherhood.

She flies kites on a whim. Makes bread by hand. Takes walks in the rain. Hosts living room back-to-school fashion shows. For her, motherhood is not a chore.

In three years of blog posts that I devoured over the span of two days, not once did she bitch or moan about how taxing or stressful being a mom was. And this was a mom of four kids under the age of 6! Instead, she celebrated the little moments and simply embraced the joys of being a mother.

inspired by nie nie photo collage of 2 kids

Obviously, for Stephanie, motherhood is a calling. I guess it is for me, too -- but it's a call I too often let go to call-waiting. Who can be bothered to put tablecloths and china on the table for an everyday meal, or to draw life-size portraits with the kids, or take an afternoon family bike ride? This is the kind of stuff I normally would have rolled my eyes at or quickly dismissed before. My go-to excuse? I just don't have the time.

But now, with Stephanie fighting for her life in a hospital bed one state away with burns on over 80% of her body, my normal cynicism is out the window. I realize I need to make the time, because no one truly knows how much time any of us have.

Last night, after dinner, Stephanie's blog inspired me to make fireplace s'mores with the kids. They picked out sticks from the backyard, and were practically jumping for joy as they roasted their marshmallows. As I looked at their messy faces, I silently thanked Stephanie for this "Nie Nie moment." She has inspired me -- a too-busy, harried mom of two -- to make memories, and for that I am grateful.

Check out her blog yourself. Share a "Nie Nie moment" with your own kids, then send us a picture. Pay it forward ... for Nie Nie. Read about one mom who did here.

For updates on Stephanie's progress, click here. To donate, send contributions to the Christian & Stephanie Nielson Rehab Fund, P.O. Box 8850, Mesa, AZ 85214.

next: Eva Desperately Needs Make-Up
Anonymous September 12, 2008, 3:18 PM

I think that is really cute. I am so sorry about Stephanie. She inspires me too. I didn’t know of her before this accident either. She’s an incredibly inspirational mother.

jackie September 12, 2008, 3:32 PM

Awe. that is sooooo cute! your kids are adorable.

what can i do with MY kids?

Another mom September 12, 2008, 4:26 PM

What a great article! I heard about Stephanie and her blog here on Momlogic and I have to say I love your take on this. Maybe this will inspire others as it has me, to seek out and create simple moments to enjoy our children.

Inspired mom September 12, 2008, 4:37 PM

“Obviously, for Stephanie, motherhood is a calling. I guess it is for me, too — but it’s a call I too often let go to call-waiting.”

So true.

brissiemum2 September 13, 2008, 1:54 AM

I think that you are speaking for a lot of us. I came across Stephanie’s blog just after her accident and was addicted to reading it. Her simple, positive approach and her wonderful ideas are delightful to read. Her photographed life, via her blog, is fascinating and the love that she has for her children and husband is infectious. I too, sat and read her blog for hours and then looked at my own life and relationships and felt inspired to improve.

Every day since I think of Stephanie and pray that she and her husband will pull through this dreadful accident and continue to live the full and wonderful life that they were previously. I have never met her and don’t even live on the same continent but her story has touched my life forever.

Sarah at Ohana Mama September 13, 2008, 2:50 AM

I didn’t know about Stephanie until her tragic accident either. She is such an inspiration. I was in awe reading her blog. She and her entire family are amazing. My thoughts are with them often.

Cheryl September 16, 2008, 9:19 AM

I first came across this awe inspiring story last week and cannot get it out of my head. Wouldn’t she love to have my problems right now? Bills to pay, errands to run, business to run, child to tote all over town…Wow, what seems like a stressful situation sometimes is truly a blessing and something that would make her jump for joy. Great article and inspiration.

Anonymous September 17, 2008, 3:08 PM

The kids were pissing me off last week and making me crazy, and I thought about how much she would give anything to be me right now, healthy with my children. It’s so true that we really should not sweat the small stuff. My thoughts are really constantly with her right now.