Good Thing Sarah Palin is White

When it comes to the Republican vice presidential candidate, it really is all a matter of black and white.

Sarah Palin

Guest blogger Tim Wise came up with the following reasons he feels the Palin family is benefiting from "white privilege":

• When a white girl like Bristol Palin gets pregnant, everyone is quick to insist that her life and that of her family is a personal matter. But if you're a black and Latino teen who gets pregnant, you're considered irresponsible, pathological and an arbiter of social decay.

• When a white guy like Levi Johnston calls himself a "f*ckin' redneck" who likes to "kick ass" if people mess with him, and who likes to "shoot sh*t" for fun, he can still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be). If a black teen did that, he'd be labeled a thug.

• When a white woman attends four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did, no one questions her intelligence or commitment to achievement. If a person of color did this, she'd be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

• White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

To read Tim Wise's entire article, click here.

Do you agree with him?

next: The Best of Nie Nie
MariaG September 19, 2008, 10:42 AM

As long as people continue to make race a negative issue it will NEVER get better. Let me explain: If minorities, that includes me, continue to say “poor me” then we hold ourselves back. We need to move forward. We cannot do that living in the past and being angry. That will only hurt us. So, please don’t listen to Tim, he works against us. Trying to make people angry will only turn back time. If you want something, work hard and go out and get it. Everybody struggles and everybody has to work hard to succeed. Complaining never gets you anywhere. Be Proactive. People need to start supporting each other and stop judging others. You are no better than that which you judge, if you do the same. In my community, there are many opportunities for minorities. I live in a mostly hispanic and black community. There are an abundance of scholarships available for both at our city college. There is no excuse for not getting educated in my city. Honestly. We have just as many opportunities or more than others here. There is a great need for people in the medical field right now. I encourage ALL people to get educated and become a CNA, LVN, RN or a Doctor. The medical field DOES NOT discriminate. WE NEED EVERYONE TO HELP!

Kip September 19, 2008, 1:56 PM

I think if Joe Biden had a teenage daughter who had a baby out of wedlock, it would become a huge issue. Republicans only follow their belief system when it applies to the other guy.

I do believe that race is a factor though; McCain wouldn’t have picked a black man or woman as his VP, because it would have upset his conservative base, which he was trying so desperately to pony up to.

In a few years it won’t matter. The hispanic population is growing at a fast enough rate that white people will become a minority in this country. I’m white, but I long for this day, because I am tired of white people complaining about affirmative action. I’m tired of hearing unintelligent, ignorant white men and women complain about losing their jobs to smart, educated minorities because of affirmative action.

Jami September 19, 2008, 2:18 PM

Thank you MariaG. If we would all spend our time trying to make this a better country instead of complaining about everything we will be much farther ahead. As far as if it was Obama’s daughter that was pregnant I would hope that Obama would be just as supportive of her as Sarah is to Bristol. As a parent you do not have to agree with all of your childrens decisions but I think it is important to be supportive of them. Bristol has been drug through the mud for her decision to have her baby, and she has definely had people call her irresponsible and many other horrible things. The sad thing is their is a lot of hate in this world and not all of it is aimed at the minority. You are just proving this by the hateful words that you have just blogged.
I am not going to vote for Obama but it has nothing to do with his race. I agree with more of McCain’s policies, and this is why I will be voting for him. People should be voting because of the issues and what policies will help the country the most.
Discrimination does exist but hating whites just because they are white. That is discrimination as well. The only way to make discrimination better is to stop flinging hate. This goes for both sides.

MariaG September 19, 2008, 5:03 PM

Well said! I AGREE! There is enough hatred in OTHER countries, why make America the land of HATE rather than the land of the FREE. America is suppose to set the example for other countries. We are the HEART of the world. If we can’t love each other and support each other then what are we saying to others? I pray that people learn to love thy neighbor and to NOT JUDGE. Just because someone does not have the same view as Someone else does not necessarily mean they are wrong. This is America and people must learn “to agree to disagree” rather than HATE. And to conclude this, in my opinion, the biggest problem with politics is there should only be ONE PARTY that works for the people. Rather than divide America with two parties, let anyone who wants to run for President be classified as just a Presidential candidate. Put those people up in front of America and let them state how they will work for the people, what they believe, and what they want for America. NO CAMPAIGNING WHICH WASTES MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. Just a one time, one chance to state their views and what they will do for us and then we head to the polls and vote. More choices, no parties, no reason to get ugly, right? Only if life could be that simple…

MARMAR007 September 23, 2008, 7:43 AM

For “Get a Clue”…I mean really, don’t mince your words you should GET A CLUE and realize that it High Time to not only elect someone COMPITENT for our Country but if that person happens to be of COLOR….SO WHAT????

GET A CLUE YOURSELF!!

Me! September 24, 2008, 9:49 AM

this is so true forget what everyone here says their keeping our heads in the sand. I’m a minority and yes I do feel that all of the above it true. The 4 colleges in 6 years would be a huge factor if Obama or anyone else had done that and especially a young black man would be labeled a thug if he wrote the same stuff on his myspace. If you think I am being a reveresed racist you don’t know how it feels to have someone scared of you (dirty looks, etc.)because of the color of your skin while your minding your own business. Let Obama start talking about loving guns and the cover of time would have tried to make him a caricature of 50 Cent with bullet wounds.

Me! September 24, 2008, 9:58 AM

Get a Clue better get a clue him/herself if you think just because Barack maybe in office soon means we are soo much closer to racial equality. Please, this only happened because most white men would rather play the gender card than elect Hilary in office as a woman. I’m all for Barack just speaking on how some white men helpped him get there, but doesn’t mean they don’t like his color. Remember get a clue some white men just tried to kill Barack. You don’t happen to have a clue that if they would’ve killed him that there is no other black man able to jump in too take his place only a white man. So before you try to make it seen like all of us minorities posting on here are being unreasonable get a clue yourself about what’s going on. VOTE OBAMA!!!!

MariaG September 24, 2008, 2:29 PM

Me! “Some white men just tried to kill Barack” What are you talking about? “No other black man to take his place, only a white man.” Excuse me, but this election is not about whether a black man or a white man becomes the next President. It is about WHO IS MORE QUALIFIED to be the next President. You seem to be confused or perhaps just a racist. I am not accusing you of either but maybe you should think about what you just said. To those of you who are just voting for a candidate because of their race, think again. You should educate yourself about each candidate. Get the facts, the issues, and their core values. You decide who you think best fits your own beliefs and then vote. Don’t vote just because you want a black man or a white man in office. That is ridiculous!

Anonymous October 6, 2008, 11:06 AM

This is completely illogical and wishful thinking. If you a black, you will get in college with lower SAT.

Allissa October 9, 2008, 9:07 AM

No offense, but it would be kind of great if she were black, because she would automatically get the black woman vote. You know it’s true, don’t even lie ladies.

Cynthia Salyer October 9, 2008, 9:43 AM

Tim, get a life! I am so sick of hearing the same crap over and over! I am white, the only white woman on my hubbies side of the family and they don’t blame “whitey”, they agree that if you want something bad enough you will get it, but no one owes anyone anything!
P.S. They are all Republicans….like the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr was, and they are voting for Sen. McCain!

cj October 9, 2008, 10:25 PM

For those of you stuck in the 90s, there is no more affirmative action. And yes, if empty headed Palin and her trashy daughter were African-American, white people would be shaking their heads in disgust and saying look at “That One.” We never needed special help to get ahead.All we need is an acceptance letter from thee university of our choice and a shot at a successful future.GGet ready all you haters. President Obama will change tis country for all of us. We do not consider him our peronl president, and I reseent joke about The Blaack House. You all try to act superior when you are just scared because you havee been exposed as frauds. You are not the best aand the brightest…all races have the best and the brightest. Get ready for thee new world order without racism and stereotypes. Isn’t it time we have a diverse workforce, as long as all candidates meet the standards for the job. And another thing, we African Americans never needed favors from white people or special treatment to get ahead. Just a fair chance. Like Sen. Obama.

scope October 14, 2008, 10:29 AM

cj, you are proof that obama is getting all the votes from the black community, not because he is capable, but because he is black and he will take revenge on the white people. for what i don’t know! in this country everyone makes their own beds!stop blaming others for your own mistakes. did you ever hear of affirmative action. that was to give special treatment to black and hispanic people. people who were more qualified were looked over for someone less qualified because of their color. you know that if obama gets in you will get that privlidge again! that’s your version of a new world order. my version is that america will become another third world country. stop wining! everyone has a fair chance in this country. what the black community needs to do, is have respect for themselves. keep families together (including daddies) and stop using drugs and get the education that is at their disposal, like the rest of us!

Mary October 15, 2008, 1:49 PM

As a special education specialist, I am amazed that Sarah Palin is spending no time helping her disabled child during these important months necessary for developmental progression. She is harming her new born and hindering the baby’s chances of developing. Also, as the mother of a 16 year old daughter, I don’t understand why a “good” mother would not better supervise her teen initially to avoid pregnancy and then allow the father of the baby, who was having sex with an underage child, to avoid the law, drop out of high school, and celebrate their forced marriage. I certainly agree that it would be a disadvantage for any other candidate black, white, or latino, but Sarah Palin and her entire family are such odd people and near comic book figures, it’s nearly pathetic, if it weren’t so frightening. This woman has a one in five chance of becoming the president given the age of McCain. Haven’t we had enough stupidity in the White House? Look at the debt we are passing on to our children. She’s a terrible mother and only uses her kids for bragging rights to get votes. Notice the baby hardly moves its arms or head, a sign that no developmental work is being done. Sad that this is what we call American motherhood.

Kurt October 16, 2008, 10:28 AM

I am beginning to agree with Rush. When y’all win/steal this election - you deserve what you get! If the Supreme Court was up for grabs I’d say let the vermin have the country for 4-8yrs. I am selling my business for whatever I can get and moving to Alaska so I dont have to be under the thumb of reverse-racist retards

A 21 year old dude October 16, 2008, 11:57 AM

hahaha…AMERICANS in general are racists:black,white,latino,etc..There has been NO significant change in this country, only the illusion of equality of rights…Voting on their policies and issues??? LOL You guys are silly. You mean to tell me, NEVER BEFORE has it been MORE CLEAR who would do a better job after the last 8 YEARS, and STILL people are undecided, and it’s not an easy/clear CHOICE??? Dont be NAIVE, racism is LIVE AND WELL…You guys DO NOT deserve Obama OR CHANGE, cant wait to see what yall be saying after 4 years of McCain

Angela October 16, 2008, 5:44 PM

Dear Anonomous, thats why you didn’t get the job, because you don’t understand what Affirmative Action is. You did’t get the job, because someone else darker and more qualified got the job, to make you feel better about being beat out by a Black man, you whine and b*tch that it was unfair because you assumed he got the job because of Affirmative Action. If you thought you were qualifed for the job, why didn’t you use your own name.

Angela October 16, 2008, 5:55 PM

Get a Clue, you haven’t a clue. Just because a Black man is about to be President doesn’t mean that racism doesn’t exist. Get a Clue, dumb-dumb!!! Racism still exist, in our judicial system, when it comes to job opportunities, even when running for president. There has never in my lifetime of voting did a campaign go so far as to srutinze a candidate’s pastor. That’s Racism. Racism is when a white girl is pregnant and her mothers is the presidential nominee. Racism is when they scream Obama a Harvad Graduate is not qualifed to run for president, but a white woman who has no degrees with a pregnant daughter gets nominated to be vice president, who would be president if old A$$ McCain dies. Its possible because he has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Angela October 16, 2008, 6:15 PM

First to Bob-the bobble head. You whine because its obvious that you didn’t pass you sociology class,history class or poli-science class, because then you will know that Affirmative Action does not place unqualified persons in position because they are black. They are usually over qualified and because they had been discriminated against so often there had to be laws put in place for people to be protected from racism that still exist today. You didn’t get the scholarship because you didn’t qualify. so to feel better about be rejected and beat out you blame Affirmative Action. There have been comments about Black people saying that they are the victim, well it appears the same white people who claim that Black people are always whinning about being a victim had taken up that task, now they are complaining. I worked in the legal department of a company and racism existed in the warehouse. Less qualified laborers-white men were being paid 10.00 per hour, where as Black men with more experience years more of experience were being paid 8.00 per hour for the same job, and the poor Latino workers were being paid 7.00 per hour. Because I worked in legal I was able to see that. I have a friend-white friend who works for a staffing agency, told me that when job orders come in paying the most, they call white people for those jobs even if someone Latino or Black were more qualified. So stop whinning about your perception of AA. If you studied more and whined less you will see that white women benefit more from AA than Black people. Mr. Obama gave you an example of the need for AA last night during the debate. The woman did the same job and got paid less.

Angela October 16, 2008, 6:22 PM

MariaG-eveybody is not gifted to work in the medical industry, besides everybody can’t work in the medical industry thats not the answer to fix all situations everybody work in the medical industry. You claim that there are so many scholarships in your community-well once again everybody doesn’t qualify for those scholarships, and racism exist in the medical industry. My sister and mother works in that industry and have been overlooked and under paid for those position as well. Alissa-The Airhead. There you go sterotyping a race of people. I wouldn’t vote for Sarah Palin if she was my mother. Racism exist because you don’t know me, and you assume stuff about Black people based on misrepresent media hype. Girl, don’t believe the hype.