Kate is Great, It's Jon I Hate

Message for those critics of Kate from "Jon and Kate Plus Eight:" You're sexist.

jonandkateplus8-hate.jpg

I just finished reading the posts Why I Hate Jon & Kate and Reality TV Mom: Abusive?. I am appalled by the amount of backlash being handed down about "Jon and Kate Plus Eight," the reality show following the chaotic lives of Jon and Kate Gosselin, parents of twins and sextuplets. I am particularly shocked by the anger spewed toward Kate. Kate, competent and organized, is portrayed on the show as a callous, irrational bully. Which is exactly how sexist American viewers like it: capable women are shrews beating down good-hearted men.

She's got eight kids for God's sake! That's the limit that some of us will allow our kids to invite to their birthday parties. And, heck, she has more to deal with than just kids. She's also got her bumbling husband. (One wonders how the two ever got together ... but that's another story.)

In one interview Jon tells the story of when he first met Kate:

"I was doing nothing myself. No career -- I didn't have any goals, didn't want to get married didn't want to have kids just bumming around. I was living with my mother."

Seriously, with his Mommy? TLC should change the name of "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" to "Kate Plus Nine" -- the ninth kid is Jon.

Often, the parenting choices this man-child makes are so misguided, I would defy any mom to keep their cool under the circumstances. Case in point: In a past episode, John is going on a bike ride with five of the eight kids. They're in their helmets and ready to leave from the driveway --- then suddenly Jon takes off WITHOUT THEM. Cut to Kate, who -- concerned for her toddlers' safety -- screams after Jon to wait for the kids. Gee, what a b*tch.

Come on moms, do you think if the cameras were rolling at your house, you wouldn't react the same? Or would you just smile and walk back into the house as your kids rode directly into oncoming traffic?

Kate, like any women who takes charge, gets a bad rap. Yeah, she's harsh at times, but at least she gets the job done. Which is more than you can say for her dumbass husband.

next: Casey Anthony Texts About 'Hot Body Contest'
mom22 September 25, 2008, 1:30 PM

omg I don’t even need to read this the picture is cracking me up… great job! ok so i read it. Jon is doing a great job the kids are 4 they need a little independence and to get dirty every now and then. Plus sometimes you have to let even dumbass husbands go to learn to be more careful with kiddies.

Can't stand either! September 25, 2008, 1:37 PM

Being “competent” and “getting the job done,” is NO excuse for berating anyone.

I don’t like Jon or Kate for these reasons—Kate, while organized often comes off hostile and Jon is a MAJOR childish dumbass…it’s true.

But sexist? I don’t know about that. If the roles were reversed, I DOUBT anyone would sit back while Daddy Kate belittles Mommy Jon.

a. September 25, 2008, 1:59 PM

so, I’m sexist… about my own gender because I think Kate is a bitch? Riiight.

Alison September 25, 2008, 1:59 PM

I totally agree. I admire Kate because I don’t pretend to be perfect and neither does she. I think women just love to cut each other down.

allena September 25, 2008, 2:01 PM

man, if cameras were rolling at my house, it sure wouldn’t show up on TLC!

Anonymous September 25, 2008, 2:08 PM

Are you kidding me?? She is a horrible, horrible parent. Setting a terrible example in front of her children treating her husband with so much disrespect. She’s so rude to him I’m embarrassed for her.

Myra September 25, 2008, 2:46 PM

She is so mean to Jon. He’s a great father, he’s the with a job so that the kids have a roof over their heads, food, a bus to take them where they need to go. ( TLC also brings home the bacon too) She takes him for granted he comes home after a long day (yes she’s had busy day as well) and all she does is yell at him. It’s always her way or no way. Nobody is prefect but she and the rest of you need to cut Jon some sack since when is it a thing to be fun and out going as an adult? She however is just down to business she doesn’t even allow kids to get dirty. I really feel for her future daughter in laws. But by than maybe the family with get a family discount for A.A

Lisa September 25, 2008, 4:21 PM

I can’t believe Myra’s post — all sympathy for Jon because he has a job and has to “come home after a long day.” Let’s see … I challenge ANYONE out there to do Kate’s job for a week and Jon’s job for a week, and to find Jon’s job as the harder one, or the “long day.” The very thought of it makes me laugh. Taking care of 8 little kids all day long is the LONG DAY and the hardest job of all! I am sure anyone, if they had to do this day in and day out, would literally jump at the chance to get out of the house to do ANY job — even hard labor — much less IT.

Second, Kate does not take Jon for granted — and to say so is to act like these 8 children are Kate’s children only, and Jon is doing her a huge favor by taking any care or responsibility of them. Please. This is an age-old view of how mothers are always responsible for anything that their kids do — and dads are essentially viewed as “babysitters.” In reality, the kids are the equal responsibility of both parents. Kate does not take Jon for granted anymore than he takes her for granted. If anything, I think Jon takes Kate’s ability to cope with 8 little kids for granted and to keep that house from becoming complete disaster and chaos! I mean, you take one little kid and the house can become a disaster in a matter of minutes … can you imagine 8? It takes a heck of a strong woman (and man, but let’s face it, Kate does way more of the work and pretty much all of the organization) to handle 8 kids 24/7.

Finally, enough with the super-righteous and ridiculously exaggerated judgments — e.g., Anyonymous’s “she is a horrible, horrible parent.” Uh, gee, last time I checked I don’t recall seeing Kate kicking back on the couch with a bottle of liquor and letting her kids live in squalor, or acting abusively toward them, or never showing them any love and affection. To say she is a horrible (horrible) parent is so ridiculous that it hardly deserves a response — what planet are you living on?! and who are you, Mother Theresa? But anyhow, give it a rest. It’s a difficult job and she is clearly doing the best she can — and I’m willing to bet the best that Kate can is about a billion times better than most of us could do!

Jennifer September 25, 2008, 5:00 PM

The relationship I have with my husband is so much like Kate and Jon. It is a dynamic that works for both of them. Why does anyone else care?? A clip of the life they lead does not show the entire picture. Until you are living in their house, you should probably keep your mouth shut and the opinions to yourself.

Anonymous September 25, 2008, 5:01 PM

John seems kind of wimpy

Myra September 25, 2008, 6:23 PM

hey Lisa I never said that kids are just hers. AND I NEVER SAID BEING A STAY HOME MOM IS EASY. I’m stay at home mom of two and it’s hard. But I’m a person who tries to look at things from both points of view. Being a stay home parent is job and a half but it is what it is. I clearly said she likes things her way or no way at all. Good for being organized ( cough cough and up tight). People have different opinions and shame on you for putting people who don’t think like you down.

RoxyRose September 25, 2008, 7:48 PM

Neither Jon or Kate work at this time. They live on the proceeds of the show, and by exploiting those eight kids. Kate has a chef and a Nanny, and helpers to do her laundry. Her job is no harder than those of people with less children, because she has more help.

Her attitude towards Jon and her children is not very loving. She puts him down constantly in front of the kids, favors one particular child, and calls the boys icky and gross. Her mothering skills leave a lot to be desired.

Jon tries, but his immaturity gets in the way.

Getagrip September 25, 2008, 9:52 PM

Eight kids is not excuse for being a witch. I have a friend with ten including quintuplets. I’ve never, ever heard her act like Kate. Not to mention she doesn’t just say she’s organized. She actually is. She takes spare clothes when they go out. She always has snacks in her handbag. And shockingly, her kids don’t hit, fight, scream, or throw tantrums all over the place. I think I know why. Mama doesn’t scream, hit, or throw tantrums. Kids learn what they observe.

Jackal September 26, 2008, 12:01 AM

I have no clue how not liking Kate makes me or anyone else sexist. She isn’t a capable woman, or more people would like her. She IS a teeth whitening shrew but Jon is not a good-hearted man. He’s a big assed baby with fugly new hair plugs. Vain a$$holes.

lynne September 26, 2008, 6:58 AM

love kate and jon..
would like a little less crankiness.. i never hear michelle duggar hollering at her children of her spouse.. and she is apparently fixing to give birth to number 18!!!

Lina Soto September 26, 2008, 7:26 AM

I like the program, enjoy it and look forward to seeing it. I think that Jon and Kate are normal people dealing with an extraordinary situation and making the best of it as they can by doing the best that they can. Those that say that Kate is horrible, etc. don’t realize the stress of the situation, have those people had to deal with eight children 24/7? I think they do fantastically, they take all of those children many places and show them all aspects of life the best they can. Yes they have help, they need help and they thank god for that help. So leave Jon and Kate alone.

Teresa September 26, 2008, 7:47 AM

I think the most important thing to remember is that the one hour show we see isn’t encompassing everything this family is about. The main point is that they love their kids and are doing their best. In reply to the comment about how Michelle Duggar never yells at her 17 kids, she has the older ones watching all of the younger ones, and they do chores! She gets a break!

Pam September 26, 2008, 8:47 AM

I just saw a re run, where Jon had to use the bathroom while at an outting and she actually asked him if he washed his hands when he returned!

Shelley September 26, 2008, 9:09 AM

Right on, Lina!

Cindy September 26, 2008, 11:19 AM

It is a little distressing to hear all these things about Kate being so mean. I am a mother of 6 and unless you have a large number of kids, you really have no idea what it takes. My husband is great, he earns all the money, but for some reason he leaves his brain at the office. When he comes home he cannot do anything, nor can he remember to do simple things. Most nights (if he doesn’t fall asleep on the couch) he goes to bed without thinking about simple things like locking the front door… or closing the garage door. You all would think I was a horrible wife if you could hear me saying, “Did you close the garage?” etc. If you don’t have at least 5 kids of your own that you are staying at home to raise, you really should not criticize this woman.