Kate is Great, It's Jon I Hate

Message for those critics of Kate from "Jon and Kate Plus Eight:" You're sexist.

jonandkateplus8-hate.jpg

I just finished reading the posts Why I Hate Jon & Kate and Reality TV Mom: Abusive?. I am appalled by the amount of backlash being handed down about "Jon and Kate Plus Eight," the reality show following the chaotic lives of Jon and Kate Gosselin, parents of twins and sextuplets. I am particularly shocked by the anger spewed toward Kate. Kate, competent and organized, is portrayed on the show as a callous, irrational bully. Which is exactly how sexist American viewers like it: capable women are shrews beating down good-hearted men.

She's got eight kids for God's sake! That's the limit that some of us will allow our kids to invite to their birthday parties. And, heck, she has more to deal with than just kids. She's also got her bumbling husband. (One wonders how the two ever got together ... but that's another story.)

In one interview Jon tells the story of when he first met Kate:

"I was doing nothing myself. No career -- I didn't have any goals, didn't want to get married didn't want to have kids just bumming around. I was living with my mother."

Seriously, with his Mommy? TLC should change the name of "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" to "Kate Plus Nine" -- the ninth kid is Jon.

Often, the parenting choices this man-child makes are so misguided, I would defy any mom to keep their cool under the circumstances. Case in point: In a past episode, John is going on a bike ride with five of the eight kids. They're in their helmets and ready to leave from the driveway --- then suddenly Jon takes off WITHOUT THEM. Cut to Kate, who -- concerned for her toddlers' safety -- screams after Jon to wait for the kids. Gee, what a b*tch.

Come on moms, do you think if the cameras were rolling at your house, you wouldn't react  the same?  Or would you just smile and walk back into the house as your kids rode directly into oncoming traffic?

Kate, like any women who takes charge, gets a bad rap. Yeah, she's harsh at times, but at least she gets the job done. Which is more than you can say for her dumbass husband.

next: Casey Anthony Texts About 'Hot Body Contest'
Nancy September 26, 2008, 11:55 AM

To have a husband like Jon, this guy goes to work, comes home deals with the children and chores while Kate is either at the Spa, Hair Salon or getting her nails done. She just doesn’t know how good she has it, I am waiting for this guy to walk one day and take the kids with him!!!!!!!!!!

Dione M Barclay September 26, 2008, 12:18 PM

Iwould like to have Jon & Kate Gosslin home address: From Dione Barclay.

Diane September 26, 2008, 1:21 PM

When Jon WAS working an 8 plus hour day Kate was bit&^* with him and he still came home and helped her out. She had “helpers” at that time during the day. Now that he’s home and she still has “helpers” she still treats him the same. She over reacts over the smallest things. God forbid they get dirty in public. They’re kids! It’s gonna happen!
I just hate the way she talks to him. I give him a lot of credit for not blowing up back at her in front of the kids as frequently as she does.
From what I’ve seen and read, all Kate’s managed to do is alienate their families, she’s lucky Jon’s still there.

Hargisx3 September 26, 2008, 2:10 PM

Right, I think all of you people have nothing better to do than sit around and judge other people. I think that they are doing a great job with the life that they have been blessed with. From all that I can see (which granted is not everything) they do a capable job. They have fairly good kids. Let me come watch how you handle your home for a week and see who is judging who. I mean come on. KIDS WILL BE KIDS. They do a great job! As for the Jon haters. I think he is adorable.

Laura September 26, 2008, 2:31 PM

Dear Internet:

Five billion discussions about Jon & Kate’s personalities and parenting skills is MORE THAN ENOUGH. Can we please quit beating this dead horse? My GOD, people.

I don’t care if she’s a shrew, he’s a deadbeat, they parade around with underwear on their head, or they stick a feather up their ass and call it macaroni - I JUST DON’T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT ANYMORE. The constant bickering on the internet has ruined their show for me!

kim September 26, 2008, 2:45 PM

you know i think they are the perfect foil for each other and the dynamics between them actually balances out pretty well . I mean what does this writer need .two overtly protective parents …i think that would do more harm than good .

AnneMarie September 26, 2008, 2:50 PM

I wouldn’t criticize. If you haven’t walked in their shoes, you can’t judge. Kate has to have a system or her house just won’t work. She also was a nurse before the kids, so she had to be organized when it came to her job as well. As for John, While TLC helps pay the bills, do you really think he wants to come home after dealing with people at work everyday to now having to be the perfect husband after a day at work too. Can’t tell me that none of you came home in a bad mood and then had much more to do….no less in front of cameras, which has to add to the stress. I think you ought to give them bit of a break I am sure they are doing the best that they can. I personally find the show amusing. God bless them for their patience. I have 4 grandchildren and after awhile, I’m outta there.

MamaBear September 26, 2008, 3:03 PM

Well, I lean on the “they’re both idiots” side of the argument. Gender has nothing to do with it. He acts like a whiney baby and she is so anal retentive it’s suprising that she does not squeak when she walks. Remember the episode after they’d all been to the pumpkin patch? She went through the trouble of covering the table with plastic for the kids to make Jack-o-lanterns and she STILL made them cleanup in the middle of the process. Lifted the table covers of to get rid of pumpkin ‘inards’.They weren’t even inside the house—but IN THE GARAGE for crying out loud. As top the vanity issue—Mommy’s tummy tuck and Daddy’s hair plugs are something that they can explain to the kids when they are all old enough to watch the show. It’d be interesting to here them explain the need for those procedures to their own kids.

Chrissy September 26, 2008, 3:19 PM

As a mother of four and a grandmother I’d have to say to every mean comment here, “You just don’t know!” and “It would be better for you to mind your own business if you can’t say something nice”. It is a beautiful sight to see a father and mother doing a great job raising eight little children. They have faced unimaginable challenges that others could not even fathom. I adore their wonderful family and I think others should praise them for working so hard to teach others that anything is possible. If you haven’t walked in their shoes then how could you possibly know what they face everyday? Those who judge harshly will surely find themselves judged equally as harsh one day…karma!

Anonymous September 26, 2008, 3:33 PM

Has kate any family? sisters, mom, dad

nina September 26, 2008, 3:33 PM

I cannot for the life of me understand women saying that Kate’s obnoxious, irrational, denigrating and MEANNESS is excusable and reasonable just because she has eight kids. There are many couples who have eight kids, my aunt for one who had eight kids ranging in age from ten to newborn (that’s nine pregnancies and nine deliveries - she lost one, born at seven months) and there were no pay-offs, no “donations” (payoffs ie. exploitation of her children) rolling in, not any offers of freebies. She had at least 2 kids in diapers for at least 12 years in a row and it was in the days when a mother actually washed all diapers and the washer was in the basement and she hung ALL the clothes and diapers outside to dry. And poor Kate actually has to gather the laundry together so someone else can wash, dry, fold and put it away - what a shame. So, Kate, shut your whiny yap and be a mother, not a mother……! You have it so easy and so good and yet you act like you are so put-upon. GO SEE A SHRINK AND LEARN HOW TO TALK TO PEOPLE, NOT AT THEM. Learn to be grateful for what you have, which is sooo much more than three-quarters of the people in the U.S. and 99% of the people in the world. I am plain tired of hearing about your horrible problems. YOU SLEEP UNTIL 8:30 OR 9:00 IN THE MORNING, FOR GOD’S SAKE!!!! How many mothers of any children can say that? You are a spoiled brat and you act like it. STOP!

proud mom of 2 September 26, 2008, 4:19 PM

I think that all the “haters” are just jealous! Its really funny, some women never change, they are still that caddy, jealous haters that they were like in Jr. high school. I know, all of you women have PERFECT husbands to your PERFECT wife & motherhood. lol, like your lives are just sooo perfect, hah if that were true you wouldn’t be spewing out your obvious jealousies here about this family. I agree with the writer of this blog. I think everyone should look at their own lives right now and see that you can’t even be as organized andconsistant as Kate! you probabley have the spoiled little kids that scream when they don’t get their own way and you coddle them for doing it! Stop being haters and judging others lives and look at your own families and see what you can do to make your family more loving & compasionate instaed of showing them your examples of jealousness & no compassion towards others. Maybe you can make this world a little more loving instead of so hateful!!

proud mom of 2 September 26, 2008, 4:27 PM

LAURA,
If you are sick and tires of hearing/reading this then why do you keep comming back to read it? this page doesn’t come to you, you have to click to open pages to get to it! So you really must enjoy it, if not, DON”T COME HERE TO READ IT. Your just another PERFECT example of how idiotic how some of you sound!~

eliza southerlyn September 26, 2008, 4:35 PM

John is an amazing father and complements Kate perfectly. He is relaxed and makes sure the house isn’t a huge ball of stress. Kate is organized and structured and makes the house run. She IS cranky and irratable at some times, but she has EIGHT kids- of course she loses her temper sometimes! Kate and John are amazing parents and love their kids with all their hearts.
You critical idiots would suck as parents!

barbara k. harmon September 26, 2008, 4:37 PM

I have been watching since the series first started and I adore them all….they have their own little reality show and they all know it…what a wonderful slice of American life …forget the naysayers and go forward,I want to see Aaden in a profersorial position,”daddy’s thun “Joel, as a golfing pro and exercize specialist,Hannah as the great cleaner and organizer,Alexis as the first woman “algergator”capturer,Collin as a superior architect building houses “in a row” and Leah as Miss “congeniality” of the world ! As for jon and kate.,,,they have already made the best of all this fame ,there is no reason why they wont continue to do the same.I love you ….blkhsh

Anonymous September 26, 2008, 4:51 PM

i think all of you need to mind your own buisness its not your prob. how he or she talks to each other they obviously love each other or they wouldnt be raising 8 children together they just have a diff. way or showing it and i think all of you need to just butt out gosh you talk about childish well for you all to get so caught up in their lives is the most childish

barbara k. harmon September 26, 2008, 5:01 PM

In my “disertation”., I forgot to mention how wonderful the twins are, Seeing the reruns ,one can plainly see those distinctive personalities blooming along the way ,,.it would not surprise me at all to see them both in some major corporation as demonstrations of how well two distinct opinions mean to success in life…shades of jon and kate ?? !!….

Gloria September 26, 2008, 5:26 PM

Actually, Kate seems to be looking for attention — she monopolizes interviews, interrupting John. She’s the one who appears to be insecure. Her “look at me” attitude is off-putting. Nobody can be the center of attention all the time. Maddie seems to be absorbing her mother’s personality and it is even more unbecoming to a child. Speaking of “childish” — her Valentine’s day demands were very immature.

Terri September 26, 2008, 5:32 PM

I have watched shows where Kate undermines her husband to the children!! Under no circumstances is this a good idea. She once told one of the children to “ignore daddy, he is just being mean!” Jon may have been living with his mother, but it sure looks to me like he has stepped up to the plate and has shouldered his share of the responsibility. If my children’s father had been a fraction of Jons involvement with his kids, I wouldn’t be married for the second time.

Mica September 26, 2008, 6:38 PM

I totally disagree. Kate acts like a drill sergeant more than a mother. That’s great in all if you’re running a soccer team, but it honestly seems like she doesn’t even know her children or wants to. They seem to just drain her and from what I’ve seen, they are incredibly well-behaved so she should be happy and enjoy them while their little cuties. It also seems like she’d rather take on the role of running a tight ship than instead play with them. That’s my opinion.