Keep Your Kid Out of My Nail Salon

Guest blogger Childlessandlovinit: My time at the nail salon has just been ruined. By your kids.

little girl gets manicure while woman waits

I totally look forward to getting my weekly mani/pedi -- the massage chairs, the fresh coat of pink polish, the opportunity to catch up on my trash mag reading. Until this weekend, when a Mom walked in with her three kids all under 5 (two girls, one boy -- which is a whole other story): "Mommy, I want to sit in the big chair!" I look up and see the mom and kids impatiently waiting to take over my very comfortable chair. "Can you move?" the nail lady says to me, AS she's still applying my topcoat. I want to say: "Why, so these three spoiled kids can sit in MY massage chair and get their nails done?? Don't you think that's a little ridiculous? Whatever happened to finger painting?" Instead I say nothing, grab my purse and sit in one of the regular chairs to dry. Pfft. Whatever.

I am so over the whole "Bring your kid to the nail salon" thing. One, I am trying to relax after my work week and bringing your spoiled screaming kids into this picture ruins it. Second, they are getting mani/pedis at 3 years old, asking for a "special flowa" on their toes and rhinestones to boot. Don't ya think it's a little early, not to mention expensive? I didn't get my first massage 'til I was 30, OK? P.S.: the whole 'bring the boy to get a mani/pedi' thing is strange. Just saying ...

Bottom line: You are spoiling your children and spoiling my fun. If you have that much cash to waste on mani/pedis for your wee ones, please do me a favor and get a sitter.

next: Britney sets world record
Linney5680 September 17, 2008, 10:23 AM

okay, i see where is she is coming from, SORT OF. why is it people so often forget they were kids once. granted i don’t take my kids with me when i go (but they are boys), because that is time for just me and my boys enjoy that time with just dad where they go and slushies and go to the park. BUT if i had a 5 yr old girl, i might take her with me for some mommy/daughter time. and how is it this woman’s or anyone else’s business how i spend MY extra cash????

Shellie September 17, 2008, 10:38 AM

Sometimes one does not have a choice, but to bring the kids. I know I have a situation tomorrow where I had a sitter lined up, but then something came up for my sitter, so I have to bring my son to my doctors appointment. Although I don’t agree with the salon person for making you move out of your chair, I don’t agree with not taking the kids to the salon, sometimes it’s unavoidable and sometimes moms and kids just like to do special things together. However the kids should be well behaved and not out of control. My kids rarely if ever act up in public because they know the rules, they go right home if they act up. So yes you may enjoy your “you” time, but if my kids are well behaved there is no reson why we can’t enjoy our “family” time.

jACKIE September 17, 2008, 10:47 AM

Yes it’s true, both have good points. i have been guilty of taking my three year old to the nail salon but only because i need to get em done! What do i do, let the kids sit in there while i do them, it’s just easier if they get theirs done too> it’s up to the parents to then not spoil their kids after the fact.
but it’s a funny friggin story. haha

Crafty Mommy September 17, 2008, 10:58 AM

Have any of you hear of doing your own nails? Moms should sharing this girl time at home with their daughters! So much better than the salon.

Dee September 17, 2008, 11:06 AM

Last I check it was a free country and children are still citizens and allowed to be seen in public. If you don’t want to be around children, stay home.

bk19 September 17, 2008, 11:11 AM

Childlessandlovinit, you are completely out of line. Fine, you shouldn’t have been asked to move from your chair, I’ll give you that. You have no right to tell someone how to spend their money. If they want to take their children out for a pedicure they are certainly allowed to. The kids probably think of it as a fun little adventure to go out on - you have no right assuming that they’re spoiled. There are nail salons everywhere these days and some of them don’t allow children at all - so why don’t you find a new place where they’re not allowed? And what you’re alluding to about bringing a boy there just shows your ignorance. And don’t think I’m a mom that does the same thing, because my daughter is only 8 months old, and while I do enjoy the occasional pedicure, I honestly feel that it’s a waste of money to go each week - don’t you have better things to spend your money on? What ever happened to relaxing w/ a good book? See how ridiculous that sounds?

Amy September 17, 2008, 11:12 AM

I agree totally! If it were me and the salon employee asked me to move so a kid could play in a chair, it would reflect in her tip. Especially beings you are a weekly consumer. There are a lot of nail salons out there, they should be treating you like a QUEEN if you are there weekly. I would try a new salon next weekend-Just saying!

bree September 17, 2008, 11:22 AM

AMY THANK YOU!
You are so right-you’re paying the big bucks to bepampered, why should you be kicked out of your chair! it’s riciculous. And what, you’re saying it’s ok to bring boys to get his nails done? HUHHH? When he goes to school with his fingers painted red, he’s gonna get bullied. Do you want that?

Trina September 17, 2008, 12:07 PM

i agree she shouldn’t have been kicked out of her chair (even though is was for the 5 minutes that her toes had to dry….POOR BABY. i wish my problems were that small!) as for the above response, i doubt he was getting his nails painted red, in fact, i didn’t read anywhere in there that the boy got his nails done, just that he was there. but there are nail places that allow children (as stated above)…try one of those! and if you are childess why are you on a “mom-site”????? just curious…

ame i. September 17, 2008, 1:43 PM

I would have agreed to give up the chair AFTER my nails were dry and I was ready to leave. Let the kid whine it’s head off, then stiff on the tip for having to put up with it.
No, some moms, you DON’T need to have your nails done, you WANT to have your nails done. No, you DON’T have to take the kids to your nail appointment. Reschedule! Besides, I’m so sure the fumes in nail salons are great for children. (sarcasm)
I don’t live in a very large town, but there are plenty of salons here. I would choose another and let the former salon know why.
Only 1 of my daughters even cares to have her nails done. Mine are older, so taking them anywhere isn’t really an issue for me.

Cathy September 17, 2008, 2:54 PM

ame i, would you have thrown a fit if they asked you to give it up for another adult??

brandi September 17, 2008, 5:00 PM

I am sorry but i would have to agree I do not think you need to bring all your children to the nail salon w/you. I have a son and I am pregnant with my second child so I am not a childless bitch I just feel that my time spent in the salon should not be ruined by children running around. I understand that children can be well behaved in public but come on 3 children under 5 sitting there for at least 30 to 45 minutes if you are lucky…any child will get bored and start fidgeting, whinning or acting out. You can always reschedule your appointment…why is it that everyone with children these days feels that the public should just understand..what happened to a little common coutesy for the general public.

pat September 18, 2008, 6:36 AM

Was the mother w/ the kids a customer of even longer standing? I’m just saying…

Jessica September 18, 2008, 7:18 AM

I don’t believe kids belong in a nail salon, but mabye once in a great great while and definetly not at 3 years old. As ame i stated above I don’t think that all those fumes can be that great for a child that age. I do understand that mabye your sitter cancelled on you or whatever the situation may be but if it were me I would have just cancelled the appointment and went another day. I consider getting my nails done an option not a necessity.

SoRightYouAre September 18, 2008, 7:38 AM

Here is the reason you are right….
Anyone who would subject young kids to the potent and so very unhealthy mix of noxious fumes you inhale while having your nails done and hair done isn’t thinking of their health, obviously.

I cringe while having my hair done and I always have a headache the next day. This, even though I have chosen one of the least “heavily scented” salons I can find. Some of those places are so heavily scented when you walk in I am sure you are inhaling stuff into your lungs that are horrible for you.

Just so you know September 18, 2008, 8:37 AM

Firstly, a salon could lose its health license and insurance policies - they cannot have children in a nail or hair salon or spa, unless they are paying customers. So Childlessandlovinit just had to bite the bullet since the kids were technically customers.

BUT, I do agree… salon time is grown up unwind time, for some mothers it is the only hour they get to themselves. Before some of you start talking about having time to yourself is selfish, I disagree. EVERY mother needs time to recharge. If a parent chooses to bring the child(ren) along, whether they are having services done or not, this is not your home, it is communal space so please teach your children how to act in public. No climbing over chairs, running around the salon, throwing polish, RESPECT PEOPLE’S PERSONAL SPACE… because your children are representative of you and how you run your house, and some of you aren’t in the driver’s seat.

Having a sitter cancel and then having to take your child to the doctor’s with you is not entirely the same thing. Most nail salons are walk ins, but the dr’s office can take months to reschedule, and you NEED to go to the doctor. But the nail salon, not so much.

Yes, it is a free country, but civil liberties change somewhat when you are in communal space. Telling the writer to stay home is no better than her writing that the kids should be left at home.

The writer most likely is on a “mom” site because the subject of the article is children in the nail salon… other childless women don’t have children, so the placement of the article makes total sense. I feel the same way and I am a parent.

And some people like to read while they are in the chair. Some of us prefer to do that without having Jane and Johnny disrupting the whole place.

Just because you see child salons all over, doesn’t mean they are everywhere. Everywhere is a relative term. Same for childless salons.

As for giving up the chair, it’s a common practice if the salon is full. Otherwise, you are going to wait until I am done.

That’s all…

katrina September 18, 2008, 8:40 AM

i am a mother of two girls and i wouldn’t take them with me to the nail salon until they get a lil older. if i had no one to watch them i would just have to go another time. the fumes are horrible in nail salons.

donna September 18, 2008, 9:01 AM

I myself have a well behaved 5 yr old daughter and I do take her to the salon with me from time to time as a treat…maybe once a month. Yes the fumes are awful but we are never there any more than an hour at a time. That little time in the salon is probably less harmful than sitting in my car with the windows down on a warm day. Secondly, for those who prefer the “me time” I would suggest going to a more upscale salon’s where you have to make an appointment and pay a little more to be pampered, it’s worth it.

Laura September 18, 2008, 9:31 AM

Yet another example of one thoughtless mom making the rest of us look bad. She shouldn’t have been asked to move from her seat so a child could play in it - that’s just silly. And the mother of that child should have brought a baggie along with her containing crayons and coloring books and small toys to keep her children entertained and OUT OF THE WAY. I have five children, including 2 sets of twins close in age, and one of my children has autism. I wouldn’t DREAM of doing something like that to inconvenience somebody else. We cause a spectacle as it is.

I also agree with Donna - the more upscale salons that charge more would probably be a better fit. Stay away from the Strip Mall salons, crawling with MOTHERS! If the salon is between a grocery store and a Starbucks, you can probably bet it’s going to be Mom City.

Pat September 18, 2008, 9:37 AM

Like most other moms here, I agree that there is nothing wrong with having kids at the salon, of course if they are out of control and running and screaming everywhere that would be annoying. The salon is a place to relax that you pay for. I bring my 4 year old daughter to the salon to get her nails painted, there is nothing wrong with that. If I have money to do that, it is my choice, just as it is your choice to “waste” your money every week on your own mani and pedi. As far as you being asked to be removed from your chair while you dry, would you have felt the same way if an adult was waiting for a pedicure? Either way they are both paying customers no matter their age. Im sorry you don’t like children, and some people choose not to have kids by their choice which is totally understandable, but I never saw an age restriction at the entrance of a nail salon. If you are concerned with the way others spend their money, why don’t you take your money and open an adult-only nail salon.