Levi Johnston: Boys Will Be Boys

Before we point the finger at Sarah Palin for her daughter's unplanned pregnancy, shouldn't the baby's father, Levi Johnston, and his mom at least share some of the blame--or is this just one more example of the teen pregnancy double standard??

leviandmomsherry.jpg
The stigma of the unwed mother has never been more evident than in the media firestorm around the pregnancy of VP nominee Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol and boyfriend Levi Johnston. But as the saying goes, boys who get a girl in "a family way" are merely sowing their entitled wild oats.

The reaction, of course, has been fully focused on Sarah Palin's lack of mothering skills--why else would her daughter befall such a terrible fate?  Last time we checked, it takes two people to make a baby--but no one seems to question Sherry Johnston, the mother of Bristol's young boyfriend ... a.k.a. the father of her unborn child. Or Levi himself for engaging in unprotected sex, for that matter.

Yet, Sarah Palin must ardently defend herself, her daughter and her political viability while Johnston's mother casually said in an interview recently that the news of her son's impending fatherhood is "just a bonus."

Really?  Just the icing on the cake?  Let's look at the facts: Levi Johnston is an 18-year-old high school dropout who had sex with minor, impregnated her and has publicly declared on MySpace that he does not want kids. Oh, and he likes to play hockey and chill with his friends. Bonus!

Then the decision was made to have Levi show up at Bristol's side at the RNC. Would Bristol be allowed to show her face in such a public forum without Levi by her side?  Probably not. The self-proclaimed "fu**kin' redneck," at least by outward appearances, "looked" like a happy expectant father.

Go to Page Two: Will Levi Johnston be a good father and husband? The odds aren't great.

next: Back to School Lunch...on a Stick
CK1 September 7, 2008, 8:23 PM

To Liz AMEN TO THAT! I can’t believe this discussion has continued on this long. I was hoping it would be over. It is a shame that people think it is their business what another family does in their private life. And, to assume that you know anything about them when you have never walked in their shoes is ridiculous. I have, and I can tell you gossip only makes the situation ten times worse. So please stop hurting these kids with uninformed judgmental opinions about them and their mother. Sarah Palin is JUST LIKE ME and I can guarantee you no one would ever say I was a bad mother and incapable of doing my job. I get called SUPERMOM quite a bit. I’ve walked in Sarah Palin’s shoes and I know exactly what she is going through. And, I KNOW that I did everything humanly possible to teach my child about sex AND abstinence. What most people don’t understand is Sarah Palin thinks sex education is private and should be taught at home NOT in school. Academics should be taught in school. It is not the responsibility of teachers to teach sex education. They have enough to do during the day. And, for those who are naive enough to think that teenagers will DO EXACTLY WHAT THEIR PARENTS SAY you have NO CLUE what you are talking about. Teenagers follow what their peers are doing. Teenagers think their parents are old and just trying to ruin their lives with their old fashioned ways. I have four kids ages 22, 18, 14, and 8. And two grandkids. I understand how a teenagers mind works from experience. TEENS HAVE SEX! THAT’S A FACT! AND THEY DON’T CARE WHAT THEIR PARENTS TEACH THEM. THEY’LL DO IT IF THEY WANT TO. IT’S CALLED PEER PRESSURE!

Pam September 8, 2008, 3:37 PM

Jean, the ONLY reason Bristol, or any girl would feel shame or embarrassment about being pregnant as a teen would be because of people like you passing judgment and stirring the pot about things that are not your business. Also, you’re taking a molehill and making a mountain, and YES, I am a “pitbull lady” as you call it, because if I was Bristol’s mom, NO ONE would be passing judgment on her without me putting them in their place. I have 3 daughters of my own and if anyone ever did/do anything to upset them they would/will have me to deal with.

Jean September 8, 2008, 4:41 PM

Pam-If you read with an open mind anything I have written, you would see I have never “passed judgement” on Bristol….only her mother!!! You sound very protective of your girls, I wish Palin would do the same and delay her quest for stardom, to protect and raise Bristol and the rest of her kids.

And it is my business Pam. I think the country needs a full time VP. There is no way a mom has enough time to parent 5 kids and run a country!!!! There are way more qualified people without such huge family obligations. And at the end of all this talk, I think a mom’s first obligation is to her kids. That is my so called family values.

Pam September 9, 2008, 12:45 AM

You don’t know how Sarah raises her family, you don’t know how much time she spends with them. She has a husband who is very capable of taking care of the kids, or do you think he isn’t. There are a lot of working mothers in this world and I’m sure they take good care of their kids just fine. Maybe Sarah knows how to multi task, something you seem to know nothing about. I’m sure her kids have never been, or will never be neglected. Don’t worry about it, it’s the Palins business, not ours anyway! Would you like people to tell you how to take care of your kids if they didn’t think you were doing the “right” job as you see it, I BET NOT. Is anyone telling Obama he shouldn’t run for President because he might neglect his kids because he will be too busy running the country to be a GOOD father? I think not. You seem to be a sexiest. IF you are a woman it seems you would stand up for Sarah, she is making history by being the first woman VP. I hope she runs for President next time, she has my vote. You better not get too stressed about that if she does, it’s bad for your health to worry so much.

ronald harbin September 9, 2008, 4:36 AM

I think they are old enough to accept the responsability for their actions and we must give them a chance to prove that they can make the right choices without all the media and the public getting involved into it.

palehorse513 September 9, 2008, 7:59 AM

Whoa Lesa, I am not sure which WORLD (you’re emphasis) you have been living in but I have been living on planet Earth more specifically the United States of America and I have to say I have yet to come across any Abstinence Only Policies in any PUBLIC(my emphasis)forum.Although some people express their wish for such atrocities against the folowers of ‘I’( I need, I want) and their counterparts the culture of ‘MY’( my life, my happiness. Seriously though, what 13 year old shouldn’t have access to condoms from the school nurse? After all all the 13 year olds I know are really really mature, I mean they are almost adults right?
Enough on that, you are clearly a truly observant indivdual, after all you caught on to the fact that the Palin’s are complete hypocrites. One of them maybe more has been found to be(Wait for it….Wait for it…. )
!!!HUMAN!!!
Can you believe it, yes the Palin’s are HUMAN (it has been confirmed by reliable sources)
They have expressed ‘FAMILY VALUES’and who knows what else and then FAILED yes, you read it here they FAILED
( I did it in ALL caps, Lesa you taught me way more important if I put it in caps, I get it, thanks)
to follow through with those values at every opportunity (I mean, I am sure you much like myself and everyone else in THE WORLD[except the Palin’s of course] are way way above being HUMAN and would never miss an opportunity to make the proper choice for whatever our beliefs may be. WE would never falter or have a moment of weakness, right? We would never make a choice that is less than 100% the right choice no matter the situation.( Who cares if they try to make the right choices after the fact or try to take [get this] RESPONSIBILITY (the word just makes me ill I know you must feel it too} for their actions,it is way too late for that.It is already clear that they don’t really BELIEVE all the nonsense they PUSH on us) Yes, you are correct how could we even consider voting for someone so unlike ourselves.

Side note to Lesa if you could just let me know where these places are that you have witnessed these ‘years of beating in of heads’ with the so called FAMILY VALUES and ABSTINENCE ONLY POLICIES I’d be curious just to see it in real life

palehorse513 September 9, 2008, 8:13 AM

Just one more short thing to add:

This was my first time on the site and I have to say as a citizen of The United States of America, as a woman, and as a mother I have seen very little logic in what I have read here.I am truly sorry for that.

Despite my little diatribe,in which I was letting off a little steam at the
(and really no disrespect to blind,deaf people) deaf blind people that I hear everyday, I do my best to research every issue that I have an opinion on, maybe some of you should too. Please though do real research don’t waste the time of people who really care with newspaper or blogger facts, do the work.

dmcmom September 9, 2008, 9:15 AM

My concern at this point is for the 2 kids. Did they finish HS? Are they going to college? Why force them to get married now? Bristol was pulled from school, no mention of the pregnancy or marriage.Now 5 months later, everyone is thrilled. The whole situation does not seem very fair or nurturing to the kids.

Amanda September 9, 2008, 5:49 PM

Can anyone seriously say that they always used protection? They waited until they were married to have sex? Does this make your mother AND father unfit? The bottom line is that it is impossible to be with your children 24/7 and monitor their every move. I think that Bristol made a poor decision and unfortunately it will affect her life but how many times have WE ALL made poor decision but were a little bit more lucky than Bristol? I can’t tell you how many times I made a wrong decision.. hard lesson learned but who are we to judge cause NOBODY is perfect….nope not even u

Mary  September 9, 2008, 7:09 PM

We all must agree these things happen to all walks of life in all societies and has since the beginning of mankind.
The double standard however is not what most think it is. The boy needs to buck up his responsibility, but consider one more thing - the female controls whether the birth happens or not. Until males have an “equal right” in decisions of this nature, its quite unfair to give blame without giving him a choice, too.
There is your true double standard.

JG September 13, 2008, 1:02 PM

I absolutely think Casey is 100% responsible for the “disappearence” of her daughter. I fully believe she has done harm to her child and has consistently tried to cover it up. The details are slowly coming together and the truth will be revealed, but with no help from Casey, I’m convinced. This reminds me so much of the Scott Peterson saga and how he continued to “search” for his wife and in the end he was found guilty of murdering her. He sits in prison now awaiting death and still says he never did it! I believe Casey will get the death penalty and up until the moment of her last breath, she will still say Caylee is with the babysitter. I believe NOTHING will make her confess to what she has done! This truly is a sad sad situation and it’s too bad no one sought psychiatric help for Casey earlier. I believe she showed plenty of signs of not being mentally stable before this happened. The really agrivating part of all this though, is how her family continues to support her and believe her. They really think Caylee is still alive and with someone who mysteriously took her. Just think of how many people are directly effected by Casey’s actions. It really is not fair to ANYONE, but especially Caylee.

anonymouse October 17, 2008, 10:51 PM

Did Bristal follow in her mother’s
footsteps? Do the math

sherry November 2, 2008, 4:19 PM

I think that unless you have the facts about this, you have no business flapping your mouth about these kids.
All you nay sayers out there, get your information straight before putting them down.
Levi works on the slope as an electrition/wielder making lets just say more then $26.00 an hour plus alot of overtime, and home schooling at the same time. Bristol also is working and home schooling. these Kids have a bright future ahead of them.
As far as age goes, they were both 17 when they got pregnant, now their both 18. Before you pass the buck on them, look at your own life and what you did when you were their age. Perfect, I think not!!! Also as far as being a good parent goes,this baby is in very good hands. These kids are the kind of people wo look at life with THEIR CUP HALF FULL!!!

Pharme181 April 6, 2011, 11:03 AM

Hello! dafakeb interesting dafakeb site!