McCain Treated Palin Like a Damsel in Distress

Chivalrous knight John McCain stuck up for his damsel in distress Sarah Palin. Huh?

In an interview that aired last night, CBS News anchor Katie Couric confronted the Republican ticket about an incident Saturday night where a voter in Philadelphia asked Governor Palin about her take on Pakistan while she was ordering a cheese steak. In her answer, Palin said she would "stop the terrorists from coming any further in." The problem -- McCain has publicly criticized Democratic hopeful Barack Obama for talking tactics in public, especially about Pakistan. When pressed, McCain stood up for his veep choice and, in what appeared to be a grand act of chivalry, he said the the incident was an example of "gotcha journalism." Couric pointed out the question was asked by a voter and not a reporter. He stuck to his guns, saying he was "proud" of Palin.

Is it appropriate for him to say he's proud of her, like he's her father?

next: What You Need to Know About the Financial Meltdown
jo jo September 30, 2008, 2:54 PM

If she were a man, he wouldn’t have acted this way.

Lori M September 30, 2008, 5:57 PM

Good for Senator McCain. People have treated Governor Palin like dirt and I, for one, am sick of it. It just shows how disgustingly ugly people can be. Just because someone doesn’t agree with her PERSONAL choices does not give them the right to BASH HER like a pinata. I am glad that Senator McCain is proud of his Vice President pick. I AM TOO! As far as the press goes, the blatent left wing supporters like Katie Couric don’t deserve an interview with her. Governor Palin should have told her NO THANK YOU. I can’t stand little Miss Campbell Brown on CNN. She tried to pretend like she was all concerned about Governor Palin. What a lying B…H! She can’t stand Governor Palin and loves to join in the bashing sessions on CNN. Why the heck should the candidates have to sit through an interogation with biased reporters? It’s just wrong! It truly disgusts me that Hollywood stars like David Letterman think they are so important that his show should be more important than an economic crisis. That’s just ridiculous! It is Senator McCain’s job to be in the White House fighting for us. Not worrying about hurting the feelings of a comedian. I hope Senator McCain and Governor Palin snub every left wing reporter there is…they deserve it!!! Democrats have turned into BIG BULLIES in America! Just look at Barack Obama and his socialist “Truth Squad”. Why doesn’t he just sick the Taliban on all Republicans who want to speak the truth about him? Intimidation is terrible and has no place in America Senator Obama.

Anonymous September 30, 2008, 10:07 PM

so…tell us how you really feel!

Anonymous October 1, 2008, 2:18 AM

I think that someone running for vice president should be able to defend his/herself. I personally do not like palin but not because i don’t agree with her but because I feel like the mccain camp choose her to get the female vote even though she is clearly not ready/able to take on the position. I am offended that the mccain camp feels that women should be happy that there is a female running and not care that she is nothing like what women wanted when they were supporting hillary. it’s like back when women where secretaries and we wanted a higher position yet men thought we should be happy with what we had, like that it is a privaledge to have something and don’t expect more because you are a female. I also do not think it is the left view bias as someone said. people attacked hillary but about her husbands affair and her looks but no one called her dumb or thought she lacked experience/education/knowledge. The fact is when you are in public stop people will look closely and will focus on your shortcomings and this happens to be Palins. If she/her camp dont think the media is fair and feel like they need to protect her then what kind of vice president/ or maybe even president is she. if he can’t stand the media how can she protect our nation and think under pressure and have the whole country counting on her.

Lori M October 1, 2008, 9:40 AM

EXCUSE ME! Governor Sarah Palin is MORE qualified to be Vice President than Senator Barack Obama is to be PRESIDENT. He was in the US Senate for four and half friggin’ months people. What is wrong with you that you think that makes him qualified? I just don’t get it. The Democrats Vice President pick should have been the Presidential pick. Barack Obama has socialist ideas and he won’t be able to run this country. As far as Governor Palin goes, I’d much rather have a Governor with executive experience as our VP than a four and half month Senator as a PRESIDENT! What are Democrats thinking?

Lori M October 1, 2008, 9:48 AM

Momlogic, Greta did a great interview with the new Pakistan leader. Would love to see the part of the interview where he told Greta how impressed he was with Governor Palin. He said she was a SMART WOMAN and he supports women in office.

Anonymous October 1, 2008, 11:31 AM

oh such a smart woman she doesn’t even know what mccain has down. she would try to find some examples and bring the to katie couric. PLEASE!!!! even though obama has not been in the senate for as long as mccain doesn’t mean he has no experience. Being a governer of alaska does make you ready their is lots of governers in our country not all are ready to be vice president. what does she have that makes her ready. all i see is how she is not ready. so please someone tell me. i would love to be proud of this female i just cant. I’m kinda embarrassed that this woman is representing a “strong woman” and i’m not the only one who feels this way. when i ask friends from around the world what they think of her, most say she is pretty but non say she is smart or she’s a good pick. and as time goes on and they see more and more and hear her more and more all people can do is laugh. i expect more from a vice president and from a female in a position to represent females as a whole. All she does is memorize some key phrases and repeat them over and over and over again. and those key phrases where written by someone else. (i will give her that she is a good speaker)come on people be honest with yourselves. I understand supporting females and your party but really to what extent. so please all you great supporters of palin tell me what makes her so great. and please don’t be like her and just quote what other people have said that are vague comments.

Lori M October 1, 2008, 3:41 PM

To Anonymous I understand supporting a black man and the Democratic party but to what extent. He is running for PRESIDENT for goodness sakes. Governor Palin is running for VICE PRESIDENT. What part of that do you not understand? Senator John McCain, 26 years of experience vs. Senator Barack Obama, less than six months of experience. Are you kidding me? Really? Are you kidding? I really don’t understand your logic. YOU may have friends that have something against Sarah Palin but EVERYONE I talk to love her. I have not met a person yet that doesn’t it. All my neighbors, all my friends, everyone in my town love her and we all can’t wait to vote for Senator McCain and Governor Palin. There are no OBAMA signs anywhere near our town. Just blue McCain/Palin signs everywhere.

CA-mom October 1, 2008, 6:45 PM

Well Lori, I am not a Democrat but will not vote Mc/Palin. I thought the Iraq war wasn’t right from the beginning and now after losing over 4,000 soldiers I think it was even more insane. I waited to hear from McCain if he still would have supported this war with what he knew now. He said yes. You say you dont understand the other sides logic. That is just part of mine. I dont like how this last 8 years of Republican adminstration has run the country. I dont want another 4 years of the same. And then the Palin pick. Why do you “love her” so much?? Both of her oldest kids are going through serious problems. Is this because she was too busy governing? Obviously two very important things slipped through the cracks.

And please, the Pakistan president spent a very very short time with her.

Anonymous October 2, 2008, 3:08 AM

Lori I guess I’m the anonymous since you posted after I did. First off I never said I was an Obama supporter or a democrat all I said was I think he has more experience than just his time in the senate. My post was about Palin and how I do not like that she is what is representing women. I wish I could be proud of how far women have come but I just can’t with her. When I tell my daughter that there is a female running as a vice presidential candidate and she asks me about her and what she has done and how did she get there so that maybe she can follow in her footsteps I would hate to say well since the democrats did not pick the female that many people wanted the republican’s decided to pick a female to try to win the female vote. Trust me I wish I could say wow look at that woman. She is so smart, she can really hold her own and is showing the world that women have what it takes just like men do. But when I see her all I think is why oh why when she messes up or doesn’t know something simple or has to backpedal or just re quotes the question I cringe because I know that many people, men most likely are probably laughing and thinking typical of a pretty female no brains and trust me I hate it but she really doesn’t know anything. I find it funny that everyone you talk to loves palin I guess I must be in another country and my t.v. must be set to some weird frequency when they ask the public about her. I’m sure your town is full of mccain signs which would explain whey everyone you talk to loves her just as I’m sure there are town full of Obama signs and everyone around there loves Obama. I think you can be for a certain party and plan to vote for a certain party yet you can still state the facts and be realistic and not love for example the vp pick or everything your choice represents 100% I do not understand why people feel the need to support a party 100% and attack and twist everything around in regards to those that aren’t 100% supporters. Instead of saying the media has gone crazy and are attacking her like a piñata do you stop to think how they have so much information to report on about her? Are they really just making up her comments, did they edit her interviews to say that she didn’t know what the Bush doctrine was. Or her and mccains Russia comment. Or maybe the media is making up how they are prepping her and the “miscommunication” of not being able to have video coverage when she met with world leaders. And maybe the time they where given wasn’t limited they might has just decided to do something else and then lied about not being able to stay. I just don’t understand how someone can support her and say she is soooo great and soooo experienced when the facts are their. It’s ok to admit it. Also about mccain having to rescue her I hate that. As a female I am outraged that you think it was good for him to rescue her. I personally do not need rescuing from anyone I can hold my own and in her spot would have told said It’s ok mccain I got this. Since when did we go back to having to be rescued by men and not being able to defend our thoughts/comments?

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 9:52 AM

Nice information! Good reading. I’ve just got one point to submit about shirts.

Immobilier Bretagne March 6, 2011, 11:22 PM

I want to show my respect for your kind-heartedness in support of men who should have help on this one topic. Your special dedication to passing the message around appears to be particularly useful and has usually helped guys like me to achieve their targets. The warm and friendly instruction indicates a lot to me and a whole lot more to my colleagues. Warm regards; from all of us.