Mean Girls Bullied Demi Lovato

Here's how to make sure your kids don't share the same fate.

Demi Lovato

Teen queen Demi Lovato seems to have it all: A starring role next to Joe Jonas in "Camp Rock," an upcoming Disney TV show ("Sonny With a Chance"), a hit CD, and a million-dollar smile. But she told Entertainment Weekly that life was anything but perfect back in school in Texas. ''I asked to leave public school,'' she says. ''I was kind of bullied. I had a hate wall in the bathroom, and everyone signed a petition that said 'We all hate Demi Lovato.'''

If someone as seemingly perfect as Demi Lovato can be bullied, what hope do our kids have? Momlogic asked Ross Ellis, founder and chief executive officer of Love Our Children USA, the national nonprofit leader on child violence prevention, for tips on protecting our children.

Kindness starts at home: "The reality is, any kid can become a bully or be victimized themselves, so it's crucial to take preventative measures now," says Ellis. "Bullying is a learned behavior. So when kids see you criticize others ("Can you believe what Jill was wearing?"), they mimic your actions out in the world. What's more, insecurity usually triggers a bully's behavior. So raising confident and empathetic children will have a two-fold effect: Not only will your kids have positive self-esteem, but they'll be more likely to stand up for other kids who are being harassed."

Develop a buddy system: "It's a fact that bullies rarely strike groups -- they just don't have the guts," says Ellis. "If your child is being harassed, make sure he or she walks around school with a friend, or is within earshot of a teacher." If someone does start bullying your kid, have them look the bully in the eye and say, "I don't like your teasing. Stop it right now." Then they should walk away and report the incident. If the bully pushes, teach your kid not to hit back. "Bullies want a reaction, so if the victim reciprocates, the problem will worsen," says Ross.

Take action: "As tempting as it is to sit down with the troublemaker's parents, don't," says Ellis. "Most parents are defensive toward criticism of their child or are in denial there's even a problem." A better idea: Go to the school directly, and record every incident of harassment. Then ask your school to develop an anti-bullying program and form a watchdog group with other parents. "The sad truth is most prevention lies with parents, because most schools just don't take bullying seriously enough."

Is your child being bullied? Click here for The Bullying Prevention School of Rights.

next: Men Aren't Smart with Money
Alyssa September 29, 2008, 9:47 PM

I LOVE DEMI!!!!!!!!!!!

demirox September 29, 2008, 11:25 PM

wow who knew demi had hater, she seems like an awesome girl.

demi love ♥ September 30, 2008, 3:23 PM

Demi we loves you :)

sonya September 30, 2008, 5:43 PM

OMG! That girls were SO mean!!!!!!!
I just wanna kick their asses!!!!!! XZ
Demi is such a great person and they did this to her???
OMg…

Melissa September 30, 2008, 6:24 PM

If i was in her school.. i would never signed that thing… i feel bad for… aww! but i just they arent makeing fun of her now.. lol I heart demi!

Amanda September 30, 2008, 7:53 PM

I am suprised becasue she is a really pretty and nice girl and If anything I would think she would be popular not hated, thats so mean i would never sign something like that even if i did hate the person. I feel so bad for her. I love demi she rox

Carissa September 30, 2008, 9:26 PM

Sorry Demi I have the same problem.

zoe September 30, 2008, 10:17 PM

oh my god, that’s so mean.
i’d kick their asses if they ever did
something like that to me. [:

DIANA September 30, 2008, 11:41 PM

Kids are mean

Gabby October 1, 2008, 5:00 PM

i was also bullied by this girl Gianna OMG she told everyone to not like me and to make faces at me whenever i walked towards them. i didn’t even know this was going on so i was like “um why did you roll your eyes at me, did i do anything wrong?” And then Gianna and her “posse” would walk away like “oooh she thinks shes SOOO cool and omg!” I don’t want to be cool, well i do but i wan people to like for who i am, and NOT what they want me to be.
Gabby

demi is awesome October 1, 2008, 6:10 PM

Wow! Those girls are so mean. I would’ve done the same thing Demi did. I think she is a smart, great role model. I also wonder what those girls think now that Demi is a big star…. You go Demi!

Jennifer October 1, 2008, 6:25 PM

i have the same promblem last year and i stand up for myself i wont let someone telling me what to do. Wow people are like that they follow the popular person. Demi lovato your the best role-model that anyone can follow.

Sherri October 2, 2008, 1:43 AM

WOW! You poor thing Demi!:(. It’shorrible what kids do to others to make them look good, butthe victim bad.. It’s horrible.
I bet the girls wish they never did it now.. I mean look at you, your famous, you have a great smile, you dance sing & act and you got to be in a movie wth Joe Jonas - How could life get any better?:P
ILY. Take Care.
Love Sherri.xx

aida October 2, 2008, 1:33 PM

they are just so jealous of her!

jessie October 2, 2008, 1:54 PM

u r a great singer actress and with the best smile ever, u get to shoot a film with the cutest guy ever, what can go better? they r probably jealous right now, you go girl.
i love u demi.
xoxo jessie

deeeeeeeemiiiiiiiii's#1fan October 2, 2008, 10:07 PM

ugh, i get sooooooooo upset thinking about her getting bullied, thats so wrong. demi is amazing and is a really nice person, on ellen she looked like she was going to like, cry, on ellen it was sad, i was just like AWWWWWWWW!

Mary October 3, 2008, 9:34 AM

I was bullied at every school i went to, even in my tertiary days, im 19 now,
but i kinda forget about it when i realise all the things i can do that others cant so ya this is god’s blessing to me

Stephanie October 3, 2008, 11:54 PM

I was bullied from elementary school on up, so I know how Demi was feeling. I was just one of those people that sought out others who were “lonely” and befriended them. I bet Demi would have been an awesome friend.

Binita  October 4, 2008, 5:39 AM

I couln’t beleive this and poor demi, she has so much problem in her past. Those bully girls are feeling so bad right now. And bless Demi and also keep on rocking in life.

max October 4, 2008, 3:26 PM

I feel soo sorry for Demi! I know how she feels. There is this one girl in my class, who thinks she is the best, prettiest, smartest, most poplular, the coolest, the teacher’s pet, and she is soo mean! she tells everyone to be nice to this one person, but she is even more mean to that person. I try to be nice to her, but I don’t get any nice back! luckily she’s moving in 7th grade, which is nextyear! Max