With recent pictures surfacing of Michael Phelps touching a playmate in Vegas, we started thinking: How would we feel if our guys did that?
It's an age-old tradition: A guy goes to watch another woman take her clothes off and dance around a pole. Though we realize Phelps is a single, 22-year-old guy with a great pick-up line ("Hey, wanna look at my eight gold medals?"), the strip club issue got our office buzzing. Would you let your guy go to a strip club and, if so, how would you feel about it? Our answers were completely divided. Some moms frankly felt relieved someone else was taking care of their man for a few hours. For others, the thought of another woman on their man made them ill.
Here's what some of us had to say:
- "I am confident that my man isn't leaving me for a stripper. Discouraging them really encourages them to rebel. In fact, at his own bachelor party I gave him permission to do whatever he wanted. He was excited for months but when it came down to it he 'wasn't able' to do anything."
- "I wouldn't mind if my husband went to a strip club, but my husband would probably not want to go anyway. Ironically, I'd have to talk him into going. He's only been to one strip club in his life and apparently found it a sad, dismal experience -- maybe he didn't go to a good one?"
- "In almost two decades of marriage, this has never come up with my man! I've been to Chippendales, mind you, but that isn't the same, is it? If he were invited, I actually think it'd be fun for him to go ... I'd be OK with it ..."
- "I don't love the idea, to be completely honest. Of course I am not going to tell him not to go, but the visual of him getting a lap dance or getting turned on by another woman kind of makes me ill. Someone grinding on my man? No thanks. I'm OK with him looking, but please don't touch my man, you gnarly bee-yatch (whoops)."
- "I have no problem with my man going to a strip club. If another woman wants to dance in front of him naked -- by all means, go for it. That just means I won't have to do it later! As long as he is coming home to me, I'm fine with it."
- "I trust him -- it's not off limits. He loves me and we are faithful to one another. Having fun with single guy friends or him going to a strip club for a bachelor party is just that -- fun with the guys."
- "No guy wants to be the only one who can't go because his girlfriend/wife won't allow him -- otherwise his friends will tease him relentlessly. It's not cheating, in my opinion. But no, I'm not crazy about someone dancing all up on my guy."
What would you do if your man was going to a strip club?