Miley's Dating a 20-Year-Old

Fifteen-year-old tween queen Miley Cyrus has been seen around town with 20-year-old underwear model Justin Gaston.

Miley Cyrus and Justin Gaston Five years seems may seem like a big difference, but think about it. Miley isn't your typical teenager. She's her own brand, she's traveled the world, she has millions of dollars and has grown up faster than most.

What do you think -- is he too old? What if it were your kid?
Click to Enlarge
Miley Cyrus Miley Cyrus
Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas Miley Cyrus Pics

next: Your Handbag Is Killing You!
more mature??? September 17, 2008, 3:31 PM

Is that the guy? Besides looking too old for her, he also looks annoyed with her.
Is she considered more mature than other 15 year old girls just because she has accomplished more? Do we consider him a less mature 20 year old young man because he has accomplished less than she has sooo…. that makes them a match?

I don’t think so. She is still a 15 year old GIRL and he is still a 20 year old MAN. And she has some growing up to do before she starts dating a man 5 year older.

JLCoburn September 17, 2008, 4:20 PM

Hollywood has its own set of rules….but this is definately one that shouldn’t be different. I would have evil [nicest word I could think of] thoughts if some 20-something was trying to date my teen daughter.

Anonymous September 17, 2008, 4:27 PM

I know this may be a minority opinion, but if I were her mom it would really depend on how he treated her and where the relationship was going. Five years is considered a lot when you’re 15, then you turn 18, it’s not such a big deal.

My brother married a woman he met when she was a minor and he was in college. They got married four and a half years later.

Angeline September 17, 2008, 4:51 PM

It is not illegal. And you hit the nail on the head, she is not a normal kid. And why do we care about celebrities? Don’t we have something better to do?

colleen September 17, 2008, 11:56 PM

he is too old-celebrity or not

Anonymous September 18, 2008, 12:28 AM

I dated a guy that was 5years older than me. i was 16. I suffered emotionally. But i learned my lesson. She will learn her lesson enouph. It will be hard but she will learn. Im praying 4 u miley GB.

Anonymous September 18, 2008, 12:28 AM

He's wearing a cross September 18, 2008, 2:22 AM

Is that a bible he’s carrying? Maybe he’s keeping her pure.

Anonymous September 18, 2008, 2:28 AM

She is in no way a normal 15 year old. Therefore, rules that apply to ‘normal’ teenagers don’t work here. How is that girl supposed to date some regular kid her age? She’d be bored to bits. I say go for it Miley. He’s cute.

Kate September 18, 2008, 10:32 AM

Celebrity or not, her brain will still function the same as any other teenager. And teenagers’ brains are not fully developed in terms of decision-making. I can remember the difference in my own maturity between the ages of 15 and 20. Five years is not a big deal when you’re older, but there is a HUGE difference between a teenager and a twenty-year-old.

So what if she has money and is famous? We’ve all seen the pictures. Miley is no different from other teenagers. People made this statement in defense of her photo scandal, and now they want to say that she’s not like other average teens? Give me a break! I’m SO over Miley Cirus.

Lw September 18, 2008, 10:54 PM

I am a mom and yes, he is to old for her. Even though she is 15 and he is 20 that is still a pretty big jump.

katie September 19, 2008, 2:29 AM

It is illegal if they are having sex. It is just another example of this country going down the tubes. She is a child, regardless of her acting abilities. It is her parents job to protect her and let her know what is right and wrong. She clearly is too young to make those decisions.

Katie September 21, 2008, 5:57 PM

He’s too old.
It’s ILLEGAL for them to even kiss.
Miley is 16, now, btw.
But that is still TOO far of an age difference.
A 20 year old guy who looks 28 shouldn’t be with a girl her age.

CLEARLY he is USING her anyway, considering how famous she is

Ceara September 22, 2008, 5:49 PM

Im a huge miley fan but i dont beileve she should be dated someone his age im 17 and i wouldnt even date some one way older than me.

Anonymous September 23, 2008, 10:19 AM

Unbelievable…none of you know that anything is going on, this column is only being used to gossip!! Get a life, grow up. Just because there is an age difference between the two doesn’t mean they are dating or have done anything illegal. They could be good friends..it is possible.

How does the saying go…Innocent until proven guilty? When you see for your own eyes fondling between the two, then make your judgement, but until then STOP gossipping!

lynne October 8, 2008, 9:08 PM

I think he is too old for her and her parents have to be crazy for letting this happen. Even if she is mature for her age she is still a child and he is a grown man. A 20 year old man is going to be wanting to have sex with his girlfriend. My husband would kill a man at 20 that wanted to date our 16 year old daughter.

Ashley January 5, 2009, 2:39 PM

I think it depends on how mature miley will be in her relationship with him…. If you ask me from her past mistakes you know the whole photo scandal thing..I would say shes not mature enough..It depends on the person…when I date I don’t really worry about the guy being too much older unless hes over 21 im 15 although i wouldn’t send have naked pictures of myself to guys so yeah like i said depends on the person…

Trina March 6, 2009, 12:38 AM

She is clearly not too mature or grown up if she is allowing pictures of herself in such a state of undress to appear online, or to be taken at all.

rubi April 5, 2009, 2:31 AM

hey peeps or floks leave miles,,,,alo9ne gosh….age is no difffrence its a just a number… who knows they might be in true love !!!peolpe just back off…stop postng rude commments on her…its okay 2 date a 20 year old i am. so what no difffrence…….nope he’s not usging her…who knows???but he seems to respect & love her okay so peolpe back off……….she should just happppy…with her love……

dj April 24, 2009, 1:50 AM

im 20 years old and i have been talking to, hanging out with or dating what ever you choose to label it, with a 16 year old girl. shes really cool and we both like eachother and i told her she would have to be 18 before we entitled ourselves as “dating”. after reviewing federal and state laws i found that i CAN date her without the intentions of sex and im really cool with that. what i do not understand is WHY a title creates so many problems. after the age of 18 no one cares? an 18 year old can “date” someone 40 years old and its all good? what happend to the “right to pursuit happiness”? what happend to the 4 year rule? which btw she turns 17 this year in september and i turn 21 in december, less than 4 years. i do agree no sex allowed and should be punishable. she says her mother would be ok with us “dating” but i still intend to ask her before going thru with it. for the record, even if we didnt and chose to just hang out what is the difference really? really i would like to know your opinions.