Miley: Please Retire!

When one mom heard the teen sensation was trying to get out of her Disney contract, she was relieved.

Miley Cyrus

Guest blogger Mad About Miley thinks the star's time is up.

My teen girls -- like many in this country -- love Hannah Montana. And also -- like most kids in this country -- they have access to a huge amount of information that I cannot shield them from. Trust me, I've tried. So, this equation means, my kids know everything about Miley Cyrus -- and love everything about about Miley Cyrus

Included in that list: a MySpace page with risque photos, publicity shots that say OTMFC, provocative cell phone photos, mean girl YouTube videos, 20-year-old boyfriends, publicly feuding with peers, sexy magazine shoots and making more money than G-d.

When I found out that she was trying to get out of her contract with Disney, I was excited. This would mean no longer having to clean up after this train wreck. I'm tired of the dilemma. While I don't want to keep my kids from enjoying what's hip and cool, I also don't want to have to explain why their idol acts beyond her years and makes questionable decisions.

But just as fast as you can google "miley myspace photos," news came that dashed my dream. The 15-year-old told People that Hannah Montana is here to stay, stating, "I am fully committed to Hannah Montana. It's what gave me this amazing opportunity to reach out to so many people."

Regarding rumors of on-set drama, a Disney rep told momlogic: "The story of friction or on set squabbles among teenagers is just gossip!"

Oh well.
Miley Cyrus Miley Cyrus
Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas Miley Cyrus Pics

next: Pit Bull Mom website sells Palin-inspired lipstick
Mom007 September 22, 2008, 5:32 PM

There are always role models who are questionable. It’s the nature of society. You need to calm down.

NotMom September 22, 2008, 5:57 PM

Oh my gosh, she showed her belly button in a photo. Scandalous! As for the rumor about getting out of her contract, you’d have to have an IQ in the single digits to believe she would intentionally try to damage her professional relationship with the company that backs her music, tv and future movie projects.

Chris September 22, 2008, 8:25 PM

She’s really not all that bad and if you think your own children aren’t doing the same or planning on it in the near future, then you’re in for a rude awakening. Lets see, a choice between Miley or some other young woman that constantly parties and gets pictures taken of her non panty wearing self in the tabloids and internet all the time… hmmm?
Use the things that Miley does, which are mild compared to some, and use those examples as tools to talk to your girls about what is right/wrong or the rules of your own home.
Instead of wishing the girl away, utilize the situation to your advantage.

Stan September 22, 2008, 8:54 PM

My 11 year old daughter forgot to put water in a “Cup-of-Noodles” and it almost caught the microwave on fire. She was very embarassed because it happened in front of several friends. I then remember an interview Miley did on the Tonight Show were she said she did the same thing. I found it on “Youtube” and showed it to my daughter and her friends and my daughter felt better. She realized she did a dumb thing, but when I pointed out someone older than her who is famous and whom she looks up too also makes mistakes, it made her realize no one is perfect. Now all of her friends like Miley even more because she makes mistakes and isn’t pretending to be perfect like so many other Disney stars. They understand about her pictures and such. They love how real she is.
You need to lighten up and do like “Chris” Said, and “utilize the situation to your advantage” when discussing Miley’s mistakes.

SUSAN September 23, 2008, 7:42 AM

Chris You sound like her @@shole Daddy it’s got to bee

??? September 23, 2008, 9:18 AM

Miley Cyrus or Jamie Lynn Spears….I’d rather have my kids look up to Miley over Jamie Lynn any day.

praying4baby#2 September 23, 2008, 10:40 AM

You can’t blame Miley Cyrus for the way girls are acting. She just as curious about her sexuality as any normal teenager. She’s just in the public eye, and doesn’t realize how “manipulative” the media and people in Hollywood can be!
It wasn’t that long ago, that Britney Spears was prancing around in a school uniform for every guy to drool!!
IT’S UP TO THE PARENTS TO BE POSITIVE ROLE MODELS!!

Donna  September 23, 2008, 11:33 AM

I don’t think Miley has done anything wrong. If my daughter turns out half as talented as Miley I will consider myself lucky. Everyone who is putting Miley down either forgot what it was like to be a teenager or don’t know how to be a parent theirselves. Thank God I’m not their child! As a teenager you are always trying to find yourself. Good for Miley for exploring her options .At least she didn’t do anything like some of the actors we always see in the news and the paper. All this negative stuff started to happen when ignorent people started to judge her after her one photo shoot. Get a Life people in that shoot she did no more then Demi Moore when she was pregnant. Let her alone and start parenting your own children instead of expecting everyone else (like Miley and other Actors). Remember the way a child turns out isn’t by the way they were looking up to an Idol it is the way the Parents RESPOND to certain situations. Talk to your children on a Daily Basis and maybe the lines of communication will be open and stay open.

silvia September 23, 2008, 11:52 AM

I have a 10 year old who is also tired of hanna I’m happy to see her leave and for those parents who think what shes doing is no harm you guys have some issues. It’s not what she does but the example she gives other kids who admire her.

mom 5 September 23, 2008, 3:34 PM

I have a 11 year old how still watches hanna. she is growing out of her but she love miley we both looked at the pics togtherand i dont see any thing wrong with them there what any teenage girl would do shes not nude.she also tell her fans she is sorry for something she knows was wrong. there is no other person who would do that. noteven yourself. think about how you where at that age . so is she so bad?uhg no

Anna September 23, 2008, 3:55 PM

miley sirus is a typical 15 year old teenager, and no “typical” girl her age is mature enough to be a good influence on the age groups which her fan base is mostly composed of. Typical teenage girls her age, do drugs, have sex with older guys, take racey pictures, have loud catfights… I am not saying that Miley is a bad person, just a regular teenager. It is disney’s fault for picking pubescent teenagers to influence easily nieve younger generations. I say shame on disney.

Gloria September 23, 2008, 11:08 PM

Extremism, that is my take on this. This kid hasn’t done anything wrong. What can you expect she is a major star in her own right, lets see she can sing, dance, act, and prouably juggle balls on her toes, but she also has some pretty serious things going on, like no access to privacy, and of course given her age, the freedom to further exploit herself via the internet. The internet is a great tool for most things, but for some of the more lame things people can do with the internet, it is stupid. She is at the age, where girls are starting to question their sexual identity there is nothing new about wanting to show off your new adolescent bod. That is percisley what other girls her age would be doing as well. Since she is a national figure as well as a world wide sensation, she also has to guard against people making snap judgements about her, and try to enjoy all of her amazing fame, fortune and publicity. Good luck Miley, and try to keep a sense of girl hood about yourself, you will sell far better than crossing lines, and offending some of your better senses.

Kayelynn  January 3, 2010, 10:06 AM

that iis so stuiped she Miley Cyrus only had a 1 year contract.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 11:59 AM

Great post! Nice and fun reading. I’ve got one opinion to submit about funny shirts.