Mom Officially Loses Her Cool

Momlogic's Julie: Today, my car radio made me face the music ... I'm no longer hip.

mom_loses_cool.jpg

At the end of my 20-minute drive to work today, I suddenly realized I'd been listening to ... and singing along with ... Radio Disney the whole way. The only problem: My kids weren't in the car. How could this be? I used to know all the latest songs. I used to go hear bands at clubs late at night. Now here I was singing my heart out to Miley Cyrus' "Fly on the Wall" when my children were nowhere in sight. What happened to me?

I'll tell you what happened: I had kids. And now my favorite song is David Archuleta's "Crush." And the last concert I went to was the Jonas Brothers. And, yes, I know every word to every Demi Lovato song. And I have a little bit of a crush on Joe Jonas (even though my 4-year-old is "in love" with Nick). What can I say? I'm a formerly hip mom.

And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

next: A is for Al-Qaeda
pastel September 18, 2008, 8:53 AM

I don’t think you are lame at all. If you’re favorite song is Crush, you are right on the money. You just need a bit of Natasha B, Chris B and Daughtry to round you out.

pastel September 18, 2008, 9:02 AM

Sorry, that’s Natasha BEDINGFIELD and Chris BROWN..so you know.

Michelle September 18, 2008, 9:20 AM

Not lame, I think we are all singing those songs. As a mother of 2 girls, 12 and 6, yes, we are singing along with Miley Cyrus and the Jonas brother. It just means we know what our kids are listening to.

Sweetcrush September 18, 2008, 9:37 AM

Your not lame, I do the same thing, i have two daughters 13 and 10 mind you they are not crazy about Miley but boy do they like Jonas Brothers and alot of other young artists. (They like David Archuleta better) what am i saying they’d have to like him to be my kids cause i’m odding crazy here. You know what though my kids friends think i’m a COOL mom so, if liking and singing to thier type of music makes me COOl in thier eyes then i wouldn’t have it any other way.

cara September 18, 2008, 10:08 AM

My kids are like, “Peter Tosh again!”

I tell them what my mom told me, they can listen to their music when they get their own car. But we do have common ground, they love the U of Penn station.

Natalie September 18, 2008, 10:38 AM

My almost 3 year old loves Raffi, Coldplay, and Seether. We have a balance when it comes to music. Some of ours (as the adults), and some of hers.

archangel48 September 18, 2008, 11:23 AM

Yeah, I get it…top 40 for me! That hasn’t happened since I was raising teenagers!!! Amazing what we do for LOVE! LOVE D.J.A

jane September 18, 2008, 12:06 PM

no. you are not lame…I am 33 and i have two kids who adores the jonas, miley, and now david archuleta…i have a huge crush on david…not only becoz he’s so cute but because i love his voice so much…:)guess we’re on the same boat. he he he!!!

Batesy September 18, 2008, 12:09 PM

I love crush also. My girls have a huge crush on David Archuleta, and I think he is pretty handsome too. I think its fine to like radio disney lol.

imrose September 18, 2008, 1:00 PM

Well, my kids are grown and they already know to indulge their mother in her rantings when she breaks into song “why do I keep running from the truth?… Is this just another CRUSH?” See I told you, see how that happens. LOL:D

Am I cool? Probably not, but I definitely have good taste in music.

Meleah September 18, 2008, 1:09 PM

Oh, that is so funny. David Archuleta is the best :)

Nancy September 18, 2008, 1:28 PM

You are not the only one. I love David Archuleta. Love Crush and love his video. I mean I sit here at the computer and listen to this young man and bought his video Crush off of itunes yesterday and can’t get enough of it. I feel like a young kid. David does that to you.

Kerri September 18, 2008, 1:30 PM

I am sittin here smiling after reading that because I too love David Archuleta. That kid has so much talent. He is amazing. I own his song Crush and his video Crush. Can’t get enough of either.

Mary September 18, 2008, 1:51 PM

I am “NON HIP” too now and proud of it! No, I have never heard a Lil Wayne song but I know every word to the new High School Musical 3 single.

JMM September 18, 2008, 2:03 PM

Hey Julie,
I find myself singing “Do the monkey…” and “do the elephant” from the Wiggles. So you are pretty damn cool. :)

Debbie September 18, 2008, 2:44 PM

Don’t worry, David and CRUSH is hip. He is loved by all ages. Talent has no age barriers, his voice takes makes you feel good. I think I like him more than my tweens.

Kimbee September 18, 2008, 3:12 PM

I love Radio Disney! It’s a top 40’s radio station playing todays best selling artists in a safe (no bad dj’s) environment. Oh…and my three boys think I’m totally cool!

ellen feig September 18, 2008, 3:42 PM

Don’t feel bad, I spent Saturday night watching the Hannah Montana/Jonas Brothers concert by myself b/c my kids refused to watch it. To be honest, I actually enjoyed it!

Ann September 18, 2008, 4:36 PM

“Crush” is my favorite song right now, too, and I’m a mom to a 6 year old. But its not because of my son that I love this song- its because I love watching American Idol, and I loved listening to David Archuleta sing anything on that show. Not hip? American Idol is the number 1 show in the nation- that seems pretty hip to me.

Celeste September 18, 2008, 5:40 PM

LOL, don´t worry, you are cool in my book…I´m 24 years with out kids… and I love David Archuleta and Crush is one of my most played songs in my iTunes…My personal recomendation just put some James Morrison, James Blunt, Sara Bereilles, Jason Mraz and Natasha Bedingfield