Mom Officially Loses Her Cool

Momlogic's Julie: Today, my car radio made me face the music ... I'm no longer hip.

mom_loses_cool.jpg

At the end of my 20-minute drive to work today, I suddenly realized I'd been listening to ... and singing along with ... Radio Disney the whole way. The only problem: My kids weren't in the car. How could this be? I used to know all the latest songs. I used to go hear bands at clubs late at night. Now here I was singing my heart out to Miley Cyrus' "Fly on the Wall" when my children were nowhere in sight. What happened to me?

I'll tell you what happened: I had kids. And now my favorite song is David Archuleta's "Crush." And the last concert I went to was the Jonas Brothers. And, yes, I know every word to every Demi Lovato song. And I have a little bit of a crush on Joe Jonas (even though my 4-year-old is "in love" with Nick). What can I say? I'm a formerly hip mom.

And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

next: A is for Al-Qaeda
Ralph September 18, 2008, 5:54 PM

I know how you feel. I am a Golden Archie and I love David’s voice and his ability to get to the heart of a song.

emily September 18, 2008, 7:05 PM

no way you saw the jonas brothers!!!!!!
awesome!
lol. omg my favorite song is crush too!!!!
but….im not a mom. im 15. haha.
but yea my mom likes stuff because of me too. like the song crush. she hates the jonas brothers but shes lame so whaever.

Connie September 18, 2008, 11:04 PM

It is such a huge relief to see that I’m not the only “older” woman who is totally enamored with David Archuleta, his music, his journey, and, of course, his adorableness. Whew! I’m 53 with grown sons who have moved out, and I am reliving my youth with relish every time I hear, see, or think about Archie. I had my picture taken with him before a concert recently and just can’t help but smile when I look at it! And yes, I have become a Radio Disney fan! My daughter-in-law heads up the Radio Disney singing/dancing group here in Tulsa, and she has been all about Radio Disney for a couple of years now. It’s such a refreshing station to listen to. Well, that’s it. Let’s keep supporting young David A. He’s gonna go far!

MyWineGlass September 19, 2008, 12:27 AM

i was googling at he latest news of David Archuleta and it brought me here to your blog! DAVID ARCHULETA can make every grown woman young again!!! i am in my 30’s and i am singing along David’s CRUSH!!! isn’t that cool?

Violet September 19, 2008, 3:07 AM

Not strange at all! I am probably older than you and I gave up on pop music about 10 years ago. But David Archuleta got me back into it. My favorite song is Crush too.

Anonymous September 19, 2008, 6:36 AM

Just be thankful the “Hamster” song isn’t still number 1!! I even be-bopped to that in the car!!

Susan September 19, 2008, 11:15 AM

The more I hear Crush, the more I like it. I’m a mom of 5 and my kids listen to what I want in the car. Gordon Lightfoots “East of Midnight” get’s played alot and now they like it. As soon as David’s new album is released they will be listening to alot of that too.

springmom September 30, 2008, 12:12 PM

OMG, that is so funny - cause I have done the exact same thing! Drop the kids off at school and realize on my way to work that I still have Radio Disney on in the car and that I like it!

Simone October 31, 2008, 4:47 PM

I just think that means you are a GREAT mom!

Caroline November 19, 2008, 12:28 PM

You seem pretty darn hip to me! I’m sixteen, and my forty seven year old mother was the one who introduced me to the Jonas Brothers, because she noticed they wear purity rings, like me. I have to be honest, I will never go back; nor will I ever view my mum (sorry about the spelling, I’m from the UK) in the same light again: I never realised just how with-it she is!
Also, I understand completely how you feel about Joe: darn his suaveness…

maria January 24, 2009, 9:48 PM

ok I guess I’m lamer than you not only do I have a crush on the jobros but went to see them, but the WORST PART is I work in akids store and thats ALL they play .So I get to listen to that music at home in the car and at work!!!!oh yeah when my 15 year old son is’nt killing me w/slipknot metallica and all this other Screaming.

Ju March 22, 2009, 8:38 PM

I don’t think I was ever cool anyway, I listened to Disney when I was 22, I knew the songs to various Disney movies. Then, five years later I had a cute baby girl.
My daughter likes Nickelback(I choose the song), 3 Days Grace(again I choose), K-Pop, Oldies, kiddie songs, the theme song to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse …

She will listen to everything and after hearing the chorus once will sing along when it comes the second time (she’s 2 1/2, I’m so proud!*wipe tear from eye*).
The only thing I do is make sure the words and content are relatively G to PG-Rated. I don’t need her to spout words she shouldn’t.

Melissa March 28, 2009, 1:11 AM

You aren’t lame. :D That’s all I gotta say.

I even listen to Jonas Brothers and I’m 32. hahahaha Then again I listen to the newest groups and the coolest. haha

Malina April 14, 2009, 10:39 AM

Are you lame? YEP! All the other posters that said oh no you aren’t lame… “i do the same thing”, they just refuse to be lame. But let’s face it. we squeeze boogers and snot out with our fingers, get thrown up on, repeat 80 time “get back overhere”. Whatever, you know i could go on and on but it doesn’t matter. We are moms. Moms aren’t made to be cool, they are made to set the embarrassing examples that our children need. So even if you sing along to crush or my personal favorite music for aardvarks “grumpy” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giTIlL_QAeM . Keep it moms, your doing great.

TJ July 11, 2009, 11:37 PM

You’re all lame. Your little brats even think you’re lame. Get a freaking clue. Idiots have kids. Intelligent people realize that kids are not the end all, be all, and enjoy their lives to the fullest, childfree.