Moms Are Talking About

mattdamonmatabig.jpg

Sarah Palin vs. Matt Damon: The actor spoke out on McCain's pick for Vice-President, comparing her to a 'really bad Disney movie' and says it's absurd Palin could become President. "I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could become president, and I think that's a really scary thing... I think the pick was made for political purposes... Do the actuary tables and there's a one out of three chance, if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it'll be President Palin... It's like a really bad Disney movie. The hockey mom, you know, 'oh, I'm just a hockey mom'... and she's facing down President Putin... It's totally absurd... it's a really terrifying possibility... I need to know if she really think that dinosaurs were here 4,000 years ago. I want to know that, I really do. Because she's gonna have the nuclear codes."

Post-natal infection leaves mom disabled:
Seattle mom Carol Decker has developed life-threatening hypotension from a septic pneumonia infection after giving birth to her daughter, now three months. As a result of the infection, Decker lost her eyesight and medication is making things worse: Decker's body reacted by blocking the blood flow to her legs, left arm and eyes and doctors had to amputate both of her legs below the knee and her left arm. The family's medical bills have already surpassed $2 million in just three months. "There are definitely tears and hard days. These have been the hardest days of my life, definitely," says Carol's husband Scott.

Mom saves baby's life by email: British mom Madeleine Robb sent an email to fellow mom Megan Santos warning that her one year-old baby Rowan may have a deadly form of eye cancer when she saw pictures of the newborn posted online. Robb, who has no medical training, noticed a white shadow in the baby's left eye and learned the white area could be a symptom of an eye cancer called retinoblastoma. Although Rowan will lose her left eye, Santos has called Robb a "hero," because the online diagnosis may have saved her baby's life. Fast treatment is crucial with retinoblastoma. According to research, 87 percent of children stricken with the disease mostly in developing countries die.

Dungeon incest victim speaks about abusive dad:
Elisabeth Fritzl, 42, is revealing the brutality she and her children were forced to endure while imprisoned by their father in a cellar under their family home in Austria. Josef Fritzl kept Elizabeth prisoner for almost a quarter of a century, during which time she bore him seven children. According to court reports she was raped three times a week and if she resisted, her children suffered. Her father also threatened to kill them in the cellar, which had no windows and was sealed by an electronically locked door. Elisabeth says she tried to keep life as normal as possible for her children when their father was not around.

More info: Palin, Decker, Robb, Fritzl

next: A Mom Remembers 9/11
Anonymous September 11, 2008, 12:52 PM

I love Matt Damon.

Anonymous September 11, 2008, 12:54 PM

Matt Damon and everyone else in Hollywood should just keep their mouths shut about politics.

SueB September 11, 2008, 12:58 PM

Oh that’s right, I forgot. In America you can’t have an opinion. I forgot we don’t have free speech here.

Anonymous September 11, 2008, 1:03 PM

Matt Damon is a jacka$$

Kate September 11, 2008, 1:04 PM

I think the point that Anon is trying to make is that celebrities use their status to express their opinions to try to influence people. I don’t think that’s fair, and I personally don’t think that it’s smart. For example, what does Sarah Palin’s belief about dinosaurs have to do with nuclear codes? Matt Damon needs to explain his logic there.

Sandy September 11, 2008, 1:31 PM

I think he is saying that anyone who does not believe in evolution — proven science at this point — is not logical and rational enough to have their finger on the button. And considering that she believes in the rapture, I tend to agree.

Finally, I find the story of Elizabeth Fritzl amazing. She is so tough, and so commited to her children, that I find her inspirational!

Kate September 11, 2008, 1:52 PM

Sandy, evolution is not a proven science, and for that matter, it never will be. Let me get this straight, though… you believe that because Sarah Palin is a Christian who believes in the Bible that she is unfit to run the country? Is that what you’re saying? I mean, really!?

Yavon September 11, 2008, 5:29 PM

Remember Father Abraham and his wife, the “mother” of all?Id like to think Sarah Palin is a perfect match to be the new “mother” of our Nation who just might lead our country back to the Root of what brought our people here in the first place, and that tells me the U.S.of A. still has a good hope for a future!

Herbert Dower September 12, 2008, 3:31 AM

Sarah Palin is an extremely experienced politician and not just a hockey mum. She is well educated and has spent time as a Governor of Alaska (the highest political office in the state). It is evident that she is, like many successful women today is highly articulate and capable. I also hope she does have christian values with the associated philosophies rather than the “if it feels good, do it” atheistic alternatives”.
Herbert Dower - Australia

mary September 13, 2008, 11:30 AM

I think some of the things Matt Damon was referring to in his clip, have already been disproven (i.e. that Sarah Palin did not say those things, or that they were distortions of comments taken out of context). It cracks me up that some of the celebrities are coming out saying they are “terrified” of Sarah Palin! LOL! Good grief, I think whether it is McCain or Obama, the country will be in a better place than it is now. These people always talk a big talk during their campaigns but it boils down to what happens once they are in office. We certainly won’t be any worse off whether it is Obama, McCain, or the heartbeat away, Palin. Any one of those three, including Biden as another heartbeat-away… any one of them has more ability to work on international affairs than Bush, any one of them has more ability to help the economy than Bush… at this point, it’s ABB for President. Anybody But Bush!

yavon September 15, 2008, 7:30 AM

Mary, I like you! I also care for/about Bush too, though. Our military ppl over ‘there’ for the most part, are glad to be serving us over ‘here’ by what they’re doing. It is the celebs who make so much noise, that create an appearance that we should not be over there, but I believe it’s better this war be fought on their ground and not on our own. So far it has kept them off our turf. For this I am thankFULL!

NfhTauq June 18, 2010, 3:00 PM