Study: Bad Moms Have C-Sections

New research confirms giving birth naturally has its perks.

Mom holding and kissing baby

Moms who give birth naturally have better relationships with their infants, according to a recent Yale University study.

Brain scans on 12 new moms after birth found more activity in areas linked to motivation and emotion in those who had a vaginal delivery -- and says moms who do so are more responsive to the cries of their baby and in all-around better moods than those who go under the knife.

According to researchers, contractions, which are part of a natural birth, trigger the release of the hormone oxytocin (a.k.a the bonding hormone), which is believed to play a key role in shaping maternal behavior.

However, experts say undergoing a Cesarean does not trigger the same release of hormones -- and that this procedure has been linked to an increased risk of post-natal depression.

Professor James Walker, a spokesman for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, says, "We have long recognized that people who have a Cesarean section do sometimes have some problems bonding with their baby."

Why? The reason isn't clear. Some doctors say it's possible that women who opt for Cesarean births are more disengaged from the birth process in comparison to those who went through a natural delivery.

And although there are no studies assessing whether mothers who had a Cesarean had long-term problems bonding with their baby, doctors advise women who opt for C-sections to cuddle their newborn against their skin straight after birth.

Tell us -- does experiencing natural birth make you a better mother?

next: J Lo, J Liar!
Lori September 16, 2008, 1:10 PM

This study is ridiculous! My mom had two c-sections and she is terrific! I also had two c-sections and will have another with my next baby. I am very loving to my children and they are very attached to me. If anything, I would think a c-section would bring you closer to your baby because you both survived a somewhat traumatic experience.

Sharman September 16, 2008, 1:15 PM

These people are “EXPERTS”???
You have got to be kidding. First off, during BOTH my deliveries, I did not “OPT” for a C-Section. My babies lives depended on it, the first one due to a knot in is cord and the 2nd due to a car accident that caused uterine damage. I take great offense from this “study” as I am a very caring, attentive, and loving mother. I bonded and cherished my boys from the very beginnings. I adore my boy’s and don’t know how I could possibly love them more??? They are the light and the love of my husband and I’s life.
Instead of these ridiculous “studies” why don’t they donate the cost of these to a program that offers support and medical attention to any new mother who needs it!!!

shelley September 16, 2008, 4:52 PM

I have come on this web site so many times ready to fight… i am so glad for one we have ladys staning up for one another. my first c section was not planed my daughter was is distress i didnt have a choice and for the hormones and other triggers that go off in vaginal delivery..hello when you have a csection you are druged and numb due to the fact you are having surgery and being cut open!!!!
I did elect to not have the vback i did like the rick factors, so if that makes me a bad mom for choosing a safer delivery method for my second child and myself well bite me. I love my kids and they love me.

susan September 19, 2008, 2:16 PM

i so disagree with this study. i had to have a c-section cuz my son was too big to come out. he was 10lbs 2oz and there was no way he was coming out. my son is such a momma’s boy. i’m pregnant with my second one and will be having another c-section and the bond will be just as good as the one with my son. and when this study said that there’s no bond after the birth it’s like duh, i’m sorta recovering from the surgery. who’s gonna try to hold there baby while they’re still not all there? but the moment i was fine i was taking care of him and breastfeeding him when i wasn’t in pain. my fiance took care of him when i couldn’t.

Valerie September 19, 2008, 6:24 PM

I agree with the study.(SOMEWHAT) But thats because its talking about those who Opt for it. So to all you affended laidies who had to have one… So sorry but here not talking about YOU!

Wendy September 22, 2008, 9:50 PM

Bad, bad, bad, bad science!!!!!

Carol September 23, 2008, 9:14 AM

Please read what it says: those who “opt” for the c section. All of you upset over this have said yours were emergencies. The study could be true but so what it didn’t even say that they didn’t bond just not as much. I have had both and I think they are talking about the feeling of being handed your baby and not getting to activly participate in the birth. It is different some moms do have a harder time bonding and it could be related to not being in labor which does happen when you “opt”. That’s o.k. nobody is questioning your parenting it just suggests the lack of hormones “could” affect some people. It really is not an offensive article unless you make it that way. PMA

DanielleS September 25, 2008, 11:26 PM

I am a 39 year old woman, and I have never seen such stupidity when it came to doing research about something. I had to have an emergency c section at the age of 17 because I had been in labor for 4 days and yes I had some stupid dr’s working with me and didnt think I knew what I was talking about when I told them My doctor told me I might have to have a c section due to a tiped cervix. They found out the hard way I was right, My daughter was stuck in the birth canal for 2 days loosing oxygen and fluids to her brain, so on the 4th day they did an emergency c section. We were very close until she became a teenager and was diagnosed with bi polar disorder, no she hates everyone unless she wants soemthing. does that make me a bad mom. No it does now. My son was born 4 years later, and he was a planned c section due to the problems and complication I had had before with my daughter, coming closer to my due date we found out her was over 10 lbs. and it would be best for me to have a c section not only for me but for him. I had to ahve a blood transfusion and was sick for months afterwards, but does that mean I didnt bond with him, no hes such a mommas boy its hard to turn around without bumping into him. So these so called dr’s who did thise supposesed research can kiss my back side on thier stupid research project. Now my daughter who is now 21, has had 4 pregnancies , one she lost because shes sick in the head, didnt want to eat, and became bond thin, so the baby died for lack of nutritian. Her second one, was a set of twins, a boy and a girl, the boy survived, but the girl did not, she aborted that one natrually 2 days before the boy was born,and her thrid is my 2 year old grand daughter, which she took care of and had a good pregnancy with, and the 3rd one she didnt have medical care for most of the pregnancy. now she pregnant again and this one is going to be disfiguredits head is much bigger then its body and she still refusing to do anything her dr has said for her to do to help this little baby live and even come close to healthy.But in the mean time shes had the 3 that are here taken away,and now they dont even live with her.So what consitutes a good mom or a bad mom.BY the way she had all her kids naturally,has had post partum after each one.My mother was the same way,none of us kids bonded with her and she with us,she was selfish and self centered and still is.We always came last after her needs and still do. those of you who can push your babies out natrually thats great,awsome,but to those of us that have no choice but to have a c section,we are also good moms.what constitues a good parent, look at yourself and your spouse and see if they are a good parent or not so good.

Anonymous January 8, 2009, 1:03 AM

Caesarians are much more traumatizing to the mother than natural birth. Been there done that. Why any woman would “opt” for one, for anything but a medical necessity, like all of the ladies contributing here, is beyond me. With a Caesarian you’ve had major abdominal surgery that takes weeks to heal. You’ve put a permanent scar into your uterus, and traumatized your bladder and intestines, and all layers of your abdominal wall, and God knows what else, I’m not a doctor. I have found from bitter experience that so much depends on the skill of the surgeon as to how well you’re gonna do afterwards. The doctor with the best bedside manner may not at all be the one who will leave you with enough health and stamina to take good care of your newborn, and do the bonding bit early on. Best resources for which surgeon to pick are the nurses who work with them. If you’re giving birth in a teaching hospital, find out when the new ob-gyn residents begin training. If you end up with having to undergo a Caesarian very soon afterwards, you might consider insisting that the surgeon whom you chose do the surgery himself, instead of just supervising the greenhorn.
Sad to say, in my experience I have found it much easier to enjoy the babies that didn’t come with complications, like a roaring post-partum infection that took two months to heal fully, in one case.