Group Boycotts Oprah for Palin Diss

Sarah Palin won't be on Oprah any time soon, and that has some fans screaming "boycott!"

Sarah Palin and Oprah Winfrey

The Florida Federation of Republican Women has launched a national boycott against Oprah, urging women to turn off her show and cancel their subscription to O magazine. They say it's unfair that Obama, whom Oprah has endorsed and campaigned with, appeared on her couch twice before accepting the nomination, but that Winfrey refuses to book Palin.

But Oprah says, "At the beginning of this campaign, when I decided I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates."

What do you think?

next: Found! A Cure for Back Fat
Sarah Davis September 15, 2008, 7:41 PM

To everyone who is saying that Oprah wouldn’t have presidential candidates on: SHUT UP! … Sarah Palin IS NOT A PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE!

Besides that, anyone who doesn’t recognize that Oprah is racist is either clueless or in denial. If not for being so concerned with putting the first black man in office, what excuse could she have for not making room in her schedule for the first female vice presidential candidate in 24 years!

Ruby September 15, 2008, 7:41 PM

Some people are coming across as complete whiners complaining about it not being fair. Life isn’t fair and for that matter if I have a talk show, I can invite whomever I choose! It really isn’t the end of the world and there are plenty of other interviews to be had.

Katie September 15, 2008, 7:42 PM

Oh my god people, get off your high horses, seriously!

Oprah can decide who she wants to have and not want to have on her show. She has plenty of white people on her show.. but yes she does have quite a few black people on… she is black! She feels connected to other blacks, for a good reason! Get over it!
I love the show and watch it every day… and I don’t care if she “only” promotes “black movies” or “only” has black people on (not true)… she’s opened me up to viewing movies I would never have heard of otherwise, and to amazing books that I probably wouldn’t have picked up either.

On Fyre September 15, 2008, 7:46 PM

Hmmm… I was about to let my subscription to O Magazine lapse, but now I think I’ll renew for *2 years* instead of just 1.

Go Oprah! and GObama!

Some of the posts I see here make me embarrassed to be white. The attitude that “black people are trying to take everything from us good, decent white folks”? It’s like being back in Selma, Alabama in the 1950’s and 60’s. It’s just disgraceful and unAmerican.

I grew up in Georgia and even in the 1980’s there was a revival of a horrible thing called the SPONGE Club — Society for the Prevention Of N***ers Getting Everything.

Anyone who says racism isn’t alive and well in America today is deluding themselves.

Until you have walked around in an African American’s shoes, you cannot know what it is like to be Black — to be pulled over by cops for a DWB (Driving While Black), to be shadowed in a jewelry store while you shop as if you were a common thief, to be turned down for housing, jobs, dates, taxicabs — all because of your skin color. You just have no idea.

Suggested reading on the subject of White Privilege in America: _White Like Me_ by Tim Wise.

Sarah Palin is a classic example of someone who has never had any regular interaction with Black folks and has no understanding whatsoever of African American culture, history, values, or struggles.

We’ve had someone that narrow-minded and out of touch for the last 8 years. Please — let’s not shoot for 4 more…

Mungu Baba September 15, 2008, 7:48 PM

Wow! This election has brought out the racism that still exists in this country. People would rather vote for a woman (Palin) who has hardly any accomplishments to her name just because she is white. Her views are radical as well and definitely not where America should be. Her family is not an example of whet she preaches (pregnant teen daughter) Remember Palin whose claim to foreign policy is being able to see Russia from her backyard.

I have a question, does Palin know any minorities other than eskimos? Would she really be comfortable talking to Oprah especailly after a black woman (Maryline Blackburn)beat her in the Miss Alaska Pagaeant.

At first, I thought it wasn’t fair for Oprah not to have Palin on her show. But then I realized that Obama was never on Oprah as candidate. Palin is a candidate and Oprah is not having candidtaes on. If she has Palin, then she better invite them all on.

It’s Oprah’s show she can do what she wants with it and she is standing her ground. More power to you Oprah!

Now, to those who don’t agree with Oprah…get your own shows and invite Palin to be on it!

Jasmine September 15, 2008, 8:49 PM

I am glad that Oprah did not have Sarah Palin on her show. Oprah does not support her and what would they have to talk about anyway. Oprah would not be able to be unbiased because she has pledged her support to Barack Obama. I would prefer to see Sarah Palin on a show where women who support her could give their views on this woman. I would like to see a show that talked about her accomplishments as a wife, a mother, a hockey mom, a PTA mom, a Mayor, and a Governor. I am sick of the negative media coverage trying to make her look bad with their lies. They are putting her under the fire for being a woman. It’s sickening and SEXIST to say the least. That is why I will support her. She has been treated horribly and she deserves better. The media is so busy trying to burn her alive that they fail to mention how wonderfully strong she is as a woman and a politician. She’s done some phenomenal things in Alaska and made some big waves in both parties. She’s strong and she’s one of a kind! Maybe that’s why people are so afraid of her. Ha! I can’t wait to put my vote in for her for Vice President in November. :)

Nicole September 15, 2008, 9:02 PM

While it is her show, the Republican Women certainly have the right to boycott it and vote with their viewership time and subscription dollars. I have certainly never watched the pompous woman and definitely have no reason to start. Go ladies, power up.

Anne September 15, 2008, 9:07 PM

I hate Oprah! But I will vote for Obama.

Candace September 15, 2008, 9:50 PM

I personally like watching Ellen DeGeneress. She makes me laugh, unlike Oprah Winfrey. Oprah is missing out on interviewing a candidate that will make history. She’ll certainly wish she would have interviewed her after the election. But, that’s her choice, whether good or bad. I personally will continue watching my Ellen. She’s adorable, and I love a good laugh during the day!

Sandra September 16, 2008, 4:31 AM

Oprah’s a huge animal lover. What could she possibly have in common with Sarah Palin who believes shooting wolves from the air? And Oprah hasn’t had any of the candidates on. Biden hasn’t been on either. And if Oprah’s racist why has she launched the career of so many whites (Dr. Phil, Rachael Ray, Bob Green) and why did she refuse to have blacks like Clarence Thomas on? The republicans are wrong on all the issues so all they can do is play the race card.

Andi B. September 16, 2008, 5:04 AM

Mungu Baba, when you wrote “People would rather vote for a woman (Palin) who has hardly any accomplishments to her name just because she is white. Her views are radical as well and definitely not where America should be. Her family is not an example of whet she preaches (pregnant teen daughter)”
Remember you are referring to a Governor, a mother a former mayor, former city council woman, a civil servant, not to mention a former business owner. Oh yeah, and she was a success at every one. This conversation would not have started if Ms. Palin was a man. Or a black man for that matter. Remember, Bill Clinton was a Govenor before he became president. Ms. Palin is not even running for the presidency. Mccain is.
You refer to her as radical. If you spent half as much time investigating Mr. Obama as you seem to have Ms. Palin you would see that he is the true radical one in this election.
As far as the crack about her not practicing what she preaches you had better look again. She has an unwed teenage daughter. O.K. Obama was a bastard.

Bastard backed by Oprah = O.K.

White Woman not a bastard, Not supported by Oprah = racist.

Your view of where america is is just that, your view. Thank you for sharing. Oprah has a right to do as she wishes so do I. Bye Bye Harpo productions.

mike shea September 16, 2008, 7:12 AM

oprah has on her show whom she chooses and her shows directors a black man and a white woman both great movements in our free country equality here doesnt matter it is what it is and all the smack doesnt change action speaks louder than words, just like in any relationship

Fern Mattivi September 16, 2008, 7:53 AM

I just want to say this. Being a feminist does not make you a woman. Sarah Palin is a womans woman. The way women were when they didn’t have to burn bras to make their point. I wish I could have known about her years ago. Go Sarah Go!

kdog September 16, 2008, 8:04 AM

I would love to see Oprah and Gail in the 69 postion.

kdog September 16, 2008, 8:10 AM

Oprah without make-up,looks just like a silverback.

kim September 16, 2008, 8:12 AM

charles and randy - it is common knowlege that barack obama is not muslim (he is christian) and has been all of his life. People like you continue to propagate lies because you have nothing else. shame on you.

Jasmine September 16, 2008, 9:36 AM

Great job AndiB Barack Obama is a closet Muslim and I CAN’T WAIT for everybody to find out! HA!!! HIS 57 states are the states of the Muslims not America! By the way, Barack Obama there are 50 states in America. You might need to know that since you are running for the HIGHEST office in the White House. If you haven’t watched his blunder please do, IT IS HIM ACTUALLY SPEAKING. Go to YouTube, that is the fastest way to find it.
And to all the Sarah Palin bashers, you’ll be eating your own garbage one day, You’ll see!

Barbara September 16, 2008, 10:57 AM

I feel that Oprah is doing what is right. He was on the show before accepting the nomination not after. As long as he don’t appear before after the acceptance of the nomination then they are equal. She could have went on anytime before and stated her views but she didn’t she just want to make people have double standards about Oprah. EVERYONE need to stop focusing on triva mess and start focusing on what is important. Each candidate should want to be known for having great views not playing games and putting each other down.

bararba September 16, 2008, 11:13 AM

Everyone want to say that Oprah is racist everyone is to a certin degree. Just because she is proud of a man that is African American doesn’t make her racist. BESIDES, He is part black and white so what excuse would you like to use now. If Palin really wanted to get a message across then she could go on the tons of other shows that want her she just want to keep up mess. For everyone that is worried about name a lot of people have names that aren’t the best but are great people grow up.

Barbara September 16, 2008, 11:28 AM

It does not matter if he is muslim or not everyone is focusing on that because of 911. Of course 911 was a horrible thing to go through. But we cannot hold all muslim or Islamic people accountable for that because if we do then Blacks would have to hate all whites for what they did not even 70 years ago. Slavery maybe phyiscally over but we are still doing it mentally to each other and it is time to stop. Don’t judge people by religion, or color judge them by them always remeber what you have done in life.