Palin: Do Politics and Motherhood Go Hand in Hand?

Guest blogger Leslie Adler, an attorney, asks Sarah Palin: "Do your politics always have to support your views as a mom?"

Sarah Palin and John McCain

Many moms whose 17-year-old daughters were impregnated by an 18-year-old guy whose MySpace page reads "Ya' F**k With Me, I'll Kick Your Ass" would be screaming "Statutory Rape" and lamenting about how they wish their child had been better educated in the avoidance of teenage pregnancy--but not Sarah Palin.

She proudly paraded Levi Johnston, the father of the unborn child of her 17-year-old daughter Bristol before a nationally televised audience at the Republican National Convention as a member of her family (though I have seen nothing to support the rumor that she was wearing an engagement ring) and, while I get that she is in the middle of a history-making election and she has positions and policies to defend, I am concerned--given her new visibility and the power of her new image--about the messages she may be conveying to young women, to our daughters.

This is not a partisan argument. I understand that the right wing supports Bristol "choosing life in the midst of a difficult situation." I don't want to go there; I just want to know, as a mom...

PAGE 2

next: Do Artificial Sweeteners Hurt Kids?
April September 5, 2008, 2:43 PM

I hate Sarah Palin. She is such a hypocrite.

erin September 5, 2008, 5:28 PM

I find it interesting that the blame is being placed on the MOTHER of the 17-year old daughter for her poor choices. As a mother, all she can do is support her daughter and let’s be honest, what mother of a 17-year old can really control what she’s doing, who she’s seeing all of the time? Bristol Palin should be owning up to this mistake not Gov. Palin.

Charles September 5, 2008, 6:50 PM

Democrats can’t focus on the real issues, so let’s focus on the mistake a teenager made (the same mistake millions of teens make every day). Get over yourselves, just like every other parent, Sarah does the best she knows how to teach her kids right from wrong, then you have to let your kids make their own mistakes in life and learn from the consequences.

Melanie September 5, 2008, 8:46 PM

Personally I think Sarah is refreshing and funny and a great addition to the presidential race. It is very sad how many people are calling her a hypocrite because of her daughters pregnancy. I grew up in a church going, republican household with parents who taught us right from wrong and my brother still knocked up his 17 yr old girlfriend! My parents expressed their disappointment in him and that was the worse punishment. My niece is one of the most intelligent and mature 15 year olds that might not have been here if my sister in law would have been forced to have an abortion. I am pro choice and they made a choice. Sarah’s daughter made a choice and Sarah is supporting her like a good mother would. Why don’t people focus on the REAL issues like Obama wanting to socialize healthcare and tax us all to death???

AK Mom September 6, 2008, 9:17 PM

Seriously statutory rape???? Oh c’mon!!! Bristol & Levi are only a year or less apart in age!!! And they were both obviously consenting!

Anonymous September 7, 2008, 12:33 AM

“As a mother, all she can do is support her daughter”

Um, NOW. She COULD have taught her daughter about birth control and responsible sex. Instead, she’s abstinence all the way. I get that she’s religious. But still, her daughter’s life as she knows it is over. Innocence, gone. Bristol made the best choices she could about sex with the information she was given.

Sandy September 8, 2008, 7:04 AM

Oh please. Are you kidding me? Even if Sarah Palin never mentioned the words “condom” or “birth control”, do you REALLY believe that her daughter has NEVER heard of them? And, what about the boyfriend? Do you think he never heard of them either? She did teach abstinence, but the daughter did what SHE wanted to do, just like millions of teenagers do. I wonder how many of YOU had sex before marriage, without a condom? I’ll bet your parents taught you differently, too. Matter of fact, when I grew up parents didn’t talk at all about sex to their children and it wasn’t taught in school either!And, there were far less pregnancies, too! Hmmmmmm.

FastpitchMom September 8, 2008, 8:44 AM

How do we know what she taught her daughter in her own home? Just because she’s against the school teaching her child about sex doesn’t mean she doesn’t think it’s the parent’s job to do so. And, like Sandy said, a teenager is still going to do what they want. A lot of teens have had sex ed at school & home and still gotten pregnant.

LeDon September 8, 2008, 10:01 AM

Wow! I RESPECT & ADORE SARAH PALIN!! :)) Evidently, Bristol and Levi are teenagers that acted irresponsibly (as many around the world). *We were all teenagers. Some of us made better choices, others not so wise. Obviously, Governor Palin and her family are facing the everyday issues as many parents do and I respect their decisions and the fact they love their daughter. Everyone needs to back off and quit judging. Deal with their own imperfections, trials and tribulations of their own lives.

Pam September 8, 2008, 3:17 PM

I would like to know how many of you who are preaching about what Sarah Palin “should” have taught her daughter about sex, condoms, and birth control LISTENED to your own parents when you were a teen and done everything they told you to do. I bet ALL of you are hypocrites, you did things you shouldn’t have done, and you just didn’t get caught. It isn’t ANYONE’S business but SARAH PALIN and her FAMILY! I have 3 daughter’s and I know they didn’t ask my consent when they had sex for the first time, or a lot of other things I didn’t want them to do when they were teens. I consider myself a damn good mother who raised my girls “right” and as everyone else in this world, THEY DID IT THEIR WAY! Everyone is their own person, you can preach till your blue in the face, ground kids till their 18 or whatever age, AND THEY WILL STILL DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. That’s life, NO ONE IS PERFECT! I don’t think that who, when or how your kids have sex has anything to do with running the country. Quit “trying” to figure out, and judging something that isn’t OUR business, its THE PALINS. Everyone should focus on OUR countries issues, and what Sarah Palin can do for US, not on her personal life! Bristol is a teenager who did something she felt was right, she is the one who has to live with it, she knows whats happening now. It’s her life, everyone should just let her be!

Suzy September 8, 2008, 3:24 PM

Wow….just wow. Momlogic has been a newsletter I’ve looked forward to getting. There are always interesting articles, cool products to check out, etc., but this ‘article’ really is a load of crap.

The writer is obviously so biased in her hatred of a successful conservative Christian woman that she will go so far as to trash her *17* year old daughter, her 18 year old fiancee, and question Sarah and Todd Palin’s parenting. The audacity and sheer stupidity of someone who does not know these people to then write an intellectually dishonest post on a blog really shows this ‘writer’ for who she is - a typical left-wing liberal hack who cannot have a debate on the issues at hand, but resorts to personal attacks against her children. Classy, really classy.

If this blog/website wants to continue on with its support of moms, of motherhood, they’d be better served with someone writing for them that does not spew out vile, vicious, and slanderous garbage.

Renee September 8, 2008, 3:47 PM

I appreciated and agreed with the writer of this blog!!

When my kids were in school I was a stay at home mom. Between helping them with homework, volunteering at their schools, cleaning my own home, cooking our own dinners, taking them to their activities and having constant conversation about life lessons, I would have had absolutley zero time to run the country!!!

Palin should pay attention to the kids she already brought in this world.

FastpitchMom September 8, 2008, 5:12 PM

Is there some reason why Mr Palin couldn’t be the one to “pay attention to the kids she [they] already brought in this world” as you so sexistly put it?

Deedee September 8, 2008, 6:17 PM

I think Sarah Palin is GREAT and my entire family and most friends intend to vote for John and Sarah. I hate the kind of garbage this writer is spewing. Can’t Momlogic find a Palin SUPPORTER to write a story?! This site just keeps bashing Palin and family. Makes me sad and fighting mad!!
Hurray for Sarah Palin!!!!!

renee September 8, 2008, 6:38 PM

Ha Ha…Sexistly? Of course. I hope he is already stepping it up, although I saw them out in public today and he sure seems to enjoying the celebrity stauts and the kids were not there.

Get real though. 5 children 1 Grandchild on the way. 1 son going to Iraq. 1 pregnant 17 year old daughter and now an inherited dropout almost son-in law. A special needs infant who will need extra extra care. A beautiful young daughter who probably would just like to go to Brownies. And another teenager? The stress already on this family (if they arent robots) has to be incredible. Those kids deserve both parents and especially their mom!!!

Besides, McCains left swollen gland looks enormous lately. I could stand him in office…just not her if something happens to him. Our small world has some big issues right now.

Pam September 9, 2008, 12:16 AM

Renee, it seems to me that you don’t know the meaning of multi tasking. MAYBE Sarah knows how to do that like a lot of us mothers. Don’t be a hater for someone doing something that you don’t evidently understand and couldn’t handle. Maybe it overwhelms a person like you, but there are a lot of us who work very well under pressure.

Pam September 9, 2008, 12:20 AM

Also, I was a stay at home mom too. I did what I had to do to be the best mother and raised my kids just fine. IF I was in sarah’s shoes I wouldn’t give people like you a second thought! It seems to me that you are putting down ALL mothers who chose to work outside the home, shame on you!

Renee September 9, 2008, 11:28 AM

Criminy Pam! The only person that has brought up hate is you. I also NEVER put down any mothers that work.

THIS IS NOT JUST ANY JOB!

She is my candidate just as much as yours, and I have the right to question (not hate!)the abilities of all 4 candidates. Isn’t that what its all about?????

I cant even believe how personal you have gotten with me- you have no idea of my life and what I have endured. And I am not the one running for PUBLIC office.

You shaming me for something that YOU made up about me that I never even insinuated? Your really reaching for straws lady.

You said you were a stay at home mom. Then how do you know what its like to work full time and raise a family? Let alone the demanding job as 2nd in command of our country!!!

CK1 September 9, 2008, 4:20 PM

My goodness ladies! This is like reading hate mail. Who are we to judge whether Governor Palin is able to do her job or not? The fact is she IS a Governor and has made a choice to run for Vice President. Apparently, SHE thinks she is qualified to do the job and as far as I’m concerned, let her run and see what she is capable of. All the bashing of BOTH sides has really got to stop. It’s just ridiculous digging into people’s personal lives and trashing them just because you don’t want to vote for them. You are spreading a plague of hatred and misunderstanding across America. It is shameful and has got to stop now. It is sickening for me, a mother of 4 and grandmother of 2, to see people trying to slander a woman. For goodness sakes, where is the compassion and support for women in the world. Hillary was not my choice for President but I still respect her as a woman trying to make her mark here in the world. She got 18 million votes. That says something about women…WE STICK TOGETHER. We want to see women succeed. Why wouldn’t we? Men have been controlling the government for years and look where that’s gotten us. I was thrilled when I first heard Condoleezza Rice had been picked to be the Secretary of State. What a lady she is! Intelligent, beautiful, and doing a fantastic job! She actually would have been MY first pick for Vice President. As it goes though I really think Sarah Palin is very capable of doing her job. Most women are great at balancing their own budget at home, they can multitask ten times better than a man, and we are not afraid to get our hands dirty! :) Come on people lighten up, once this election is over NO MATTER WHO WINS IT we are going to have to get back to just being Americans. That means having compassion for your fellow American. Something that seems to be lost here.

renee September 9, 2008, 5:55 PM

That is the point CK!!! Condoleezza Rice would make much more sense to have been chosen as the VP candidate. She is an intelligient woman that doesnt have such an enormous family commitment. She has worldwide knowledge and experience and is way more experienced in Washington. Now THAT is woman who seems qualified and I would feel much more comfortable with her in second command.