Sarah Palin: Sexy Schoolmarm?

Cindy McCain's $300,000 convention outfit, Michelle Obama's throwback to the shift dress, and Sarah Palin's rimless eyeglasses. This election, it's all about style.

Sarah Palin

It's easy for the men: They can wear a suit, wash the grey out of their hair and opt to wear makeup on television appearances, but for women, the challenges of keeping the focus on the issues--not the clothes--is an issue in and of itself. According to a recent article in the Los Angeles Times, fashion "can be a potent tool for packaging a candidate" and if you're a woman in the spotlight of a high-profile race, you are always being looked at and picked apart. People are constantly asking: "What is she wearing?" "How is she changing?" "Is she too sexy, too pretty, too masculine?"

Palin, in Vogue's most recent issue, said she was "trying to be as frumpy as I could by wearing my hair on top of my head and these schoolmarm glasses." But the glasses could easily be perceived as sexy, too. Remember, she also wore a black satin jacket that dipped just low enough in front the other night at the RNC. Her hair is carefree and twirled into a clip, yet we're left wondering: What happens when the secretary-like hair is shaken out and the glasses--designed by Kuzao Kawasaki ($375)--come off? More beauty-queen than hockey mom/VP, no?

In the coming days, Palin's issues will hopefully eclipse our obsession with her fashion and glasses. Until then, check out other famous women that made their frames their best accessory.

tina fey
Famous Women's Frames

next: Moms Are Talking About
Heather September 10, 2008, 11:10 AM

I think it is sad if people are focusing on what she is wearing instead of the issues at hand. I certainly thought to myself that she is pretty. But I never dwelled on how she was dressed. I only wanted to hera what she had to say.

Helen September 10, 2008, 11:34 AM

You are obviously pro McCain/Palin because you have so many pictures and articles about them. Could you be more obvious? This is my first and last time on your site! Your site also makes women appear silly and frivolous, not intelligent. BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEBBIE September 10, 2008, 11:51 AM

As a near-sighted woman who must wear glasses, it’s refreshing to see Governor Palin making eyeglasses fashionable. Sophia Loren once modeled eyeglasses, which enhanced her beauty. While eyeglasses may make a person look “frumpy”, I use mine…to see!

Anony-moose September 10, 2008, 12:51 PM

How is McCain supposed to “wash the grey out of [his] hair”? And even if there was grey, wouldn’t that be preferable to the sickly old white hair he’s got?

Jim September 10, 2008, 1:12 PM

Cindy McCain wore a $300,000.00 outfit to the Republican Convention???? Talk about Elitist. My home didn’t even cost that much!

Amy Henson September 10, 2008, 1:13 PM

LOL at Helen’s comment! Wasn’t it just a couple of weeks ago some were complaining you all were pro Obama!

This is what I love about Momlogic!

jackie September 10, 2008, 3:36 PM

OMG they are so not pro-whoever. How are they pro mccain just by writing about Palin’s glasses. They wrote just as much about Obama.

Jen September 10, 2008, 7:24 PM

I thought Cindy McCains $300,000 costume was a slap in the face to America. With soldiers at war, people losing their jobs and homes, and so many families just trying to make ends meet. Disgusting.

anonymous September 19, 2008, 5:17 AM

Her hair in the second picture looks more like Ugly Betty(only a little hair modification and there you go-Ugly Betty for vice president)

Lady T September 21, 2008, 1:29 PM

I strongly believe we should give honor were honor is do and her glasses are nice they compliment her and I do feel she is a beautiful woman.

Jesse September 26, 2008, 1:15 AM

Everyone is beautiful, each in their own way. I felt Hillary was way underrated— saw a photo of her when she was in her 40’s and she was a Kate Winslet type. Obama has a gorgeous look.. and McCain’s smile is nice. Cindy is gorgeous also.

The Reb party hype up their women (Rush style as babes) and diss Dem women as objects is a pure sham and an insult to women in general. It’s all in the eye of the beholder.. all respected, and that’s the Dem party view, frankly.

Arun February 23, 2009, 8:23 PM

Jesse is right, everyone is beautiful in their own way. I commend Sarah Palin for being confident in herself to not get LASIK or contacts. With her glasses, Palin is seeing clearly, and obviously feeling comfortable and looking attractive.

Believe it or not, a lot of us men struggle with our looks too. Maybe not now, but in the not-too-distant future, the next male presidential candiate will have to answer questions about getting LASIK, hair replacement, weight loss surgery, or Botox.

By the way, I wear glasses, and occasionally wear contacts. I obviously look different both ways, but I feel I look fine either way. Contacts are more comfortable (at least before the 16-hour point), and I feel I see a little better with contacts than with glasses (especially with peripheral vision), but I feel there are positives to both besides the obvious vision correction.