Parents Peeved Over Curse Word List

Many are protesting in front of school.

When school administrators at one California middle school warned students not to use curse words in class, someone had the bright idea to actually show students a list of 21 "unacceptable" words on an overhead projector. WTF?

teacher in class

Teachers did not discuss the words but simply posted them on the chalkboard and told students they are "zero tolerance" words and unacceptable at school.

A teacher leaked the list to a parent, and word spread like wildfire. Many parents are angry that the words were presented to their children without being notified first.

One mom said her seventh grade son had no idea what some of the words and phrases meant. "He came home and said, 'Mommy, what's a blow j*b?"

The school principal agreed that in hindsight, he should have contacted parents about the lesson plan first, thus giving parents the opportunity to opt out of the lesson.

What would you have done?

next: It's a Girl for Joely Fisher
Summer October 13, 2008, 4:13 PM

gee, reminds me of my seventh grade year…we made a list of what every one knew…thats how I learned the C word. You know the one that rhymes with punt? Oops, did I say something I shouldn’t?My youngest cousin knows ALL the words, and she’s in the sixth grade. They read them off the bathroom stall.

Pam October 15, 2008, 10:31 AM

I bet you can ask any 4th or 5th grader what a BJ is and they will tell you. In this day and age boys in 7th grade don’t call their moms mommy and they sure know what BJ means, unless he’s home schooled and doesn’t have any friends that is. A lot of girls today think nothing about giving a BJ and they don’t concider it sex. In one of our grade schools here 5th and 6th graders were caught in the bathroom having sex in the stall and seeing who could finish first. I live in an upscale neighborhood too but that doesn’t matter, it happens everywhere. It’s a shame that kids don’t know any better but it’s the parents fault for having their heads in the sand, working so they can keep up with “the Jones”, and not teaching their kids at an early age. If parents would learn they don’t have to have the best of everything right now, and spent more time with their kids maybe they wouldn’t be having sex at 9 or 10 years old.

Kathleen Lewis October 15, 2008, 3:30 PM

I hope “friggin” or “freakin” aren’t on the list…but I sure the F&*K use them AS cuss words.

Jason Goldtrap October 16, 2008, 8:15 AM

As a Floridian I am shocked that this did not occur in a Florida school! California? Come on! We’ve got them beat when it comes to stupidity!

Anonymous October 16, 2008, 8:37 AM

Has anyone ever wondered where or who decided which words are curse words? Google it. Those words may not be socially acceptable, but there isn’t a master list. Every culture has their own version of curse words.

K. Cleaver October 17, 2008, 7:59 AM

There are so many other things to get all upset about, and this isn’t one of them. I don’t think it was necessary to put the list up, but no harm was done.

This is hardly anything to cry about.

Gee October 17, 2008, 10:21 AM

I am more amazed by the fact that people feel the need to qualify that living in a nice or upscale neighborhood. Hello! There are just as many drugs, just as much sex, and more blow jobs (some view oral sex as nasty). Why would you think that more money would make you exempt from societal problems. Sometimes it makes it worse. In those nice neighborhoods I bet there are far more kids on Ridlan and moms on antidepressants and parents working so much they don’t see their little darlings, throwing money at them as a substitution for time and involvement. See some issues are the same and others manifest themselves in different ways. And by the way I live in a chi chi Northshore (Chicago) neighborhood.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 6:43 PM

Interesting info. Good to read. I’ve just got one opinion to make about t-shirts.