Fantasy Sports Ruins Your Marriage

A new website offers refuge for women married to fantasy sports nuts.

Any woman married to a sports-obsessed guy can relate: You're at dinner and suddenly his Blackberry dings. It's a fellow fantasy sports player offering a trade.

man sitting at computer

Well, here's reassuring news for fed up wives: A website called Women Against Fantasy Sports is an online support group for women married to fantasy sports freaks -- who also have to routinely put up with phrases like three-hour drafts and online trading.

The site was created by so-called fantasy sports widows.

The site uses good-natured humor to talk about the perils of life with a fantasy sport nut -- and also posts articles like "How to ruin his draft" and "You know his fantasy addiction has gone too far when..."

The company even sells T-shirts, hats and underwear with the phrase: "CLOSED For The Fantasy Season."

Here's how momlogic staffers feel fantasy sports have affected their lives.

• "My husband joined a fantasy baseball team and fell in love. This year he just wrapped up his second season of baseball and now has joined fantasy football. He diligently logs on every night to check his 'stats' and make his moves. This obsession also includes watching all the games on TV, and bragging about plays and points to other players. And fantasy sports are the only topic he and his friends talk about. Who's in first place, who's on the DL -- it's a way of life."

• "Fantasy sports players are basically Dungeons and Dragons dorks, only dressed like jocks. When my husband is trying to 'work a trade,' he concentrates incredibly hard. In fact, I'm sure he thinks he's qualified to manage a real-life team now! Although it can be really annoying, I actually think it's kind of funny."

• "There are times when my guy actually prefers to check his stats than have sex. Several times, I've had to pry him away from the computer to get some attention. And when one sports season ends, another one begins. It's non-stop."

Still can't pry your man away from the big screen this weekend?? Here are five things you can say to make him feel like you're in the know:

• Will turf toe affect LT's performance this weekend?
  • Can UCLA recover from last week's meltdown?
  • Talk about a blown call! The league should fire Ed Hochuli!
  • Where's ESPN's Game Day this weekend?
  • Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers?

Tell us -- is your husband obsessed with fantasy sports and, if so, how do you deal?

next: The Material Girl's Fave Martini
ethan September 19, 2008, 3:18 PM

“Fantasy sports players are basically Dungeons and Dragons dorks, only dressed like jocks. When my husband is trying to ‘work a trade,’ he concentrates incredibly hard.”
…wow, so you’re husband is a Dungeons and Dragons dork, only he’s dressed like jock? Sweet. He sounds great. Best of BOTH worlds. No wonder you married him in the first place. You guys must be a magical pair. Can’t wait to run into you aimlessly wandering around Wall Mart looking for ‘back to school’ clothes with your brood of failure in tow…

Morgan September 20, 2008, 2:58 PM

Fantastic, a website about men who can’t contribute to a normal relationship, and the women who stupidly married them but are too passive-aggressive to deal with it in a healthy manner.

Everyone has something they’re obsessive about. Everyone needs hobbies away from their spouse. And everyone needs to learn to actually handle problems by talking and listening to each other.

Besides, my husband is a D&D player. And I started playing, too. It’s just something fun, social, and *gasp* something we can do as a couple. How upsetting is that? It really cuts in to my time making snarky websites mocking his hobbies.

Chrissy September 20, 2008, 11:43 PM

Oh great…my husband just started this fantasy football crap. He has actually said to me that when he went to the first meeting to pick teams he was freaked out by the way the guys there were obsessed. He said they all had portfolios full of information on players. He said it was completely ridiculous and the only reason he is doing it is because his friend kept bugging him about it every day at work. He got sick of listening to him so he finally said “ok, ok!”. Well, now he grumbles as he walks to the computer (he hates computers) to change out players. I am hoping this DOES NOT become an obsession with him. Doesn’t seem to be so far. He is more of an outdoors kind of guy. He likes to fish so I hope he will stick with that and drop the fantasy football. I don’t mind if he watches the games on Sunday or Monday but I would mind if it became an everyday thing. The leader of his group spends 12 hours in front of the TV every Sunday. His wife absolutely hates it. She can’t plan anything for SUNDAYS. THAT’S OBSESSED! I feel sorry for his wife.

Anonymous September 21, 2008, 11:52 PM

ed hochuli is the man chill out with that most refs make more bad calls in a game then his sole bad call in his career. NFL officials should be ashamed for downgrading Hochuli, it’s a bad rule in the first place.

Paul September 22, 2008, 2:34 PM

What kind of slag are you that your husband would rather look at his fantasy football team instead of having sex? Either you are greatly exaggerating or you are a disgusting, unattractive, uninteresting pig. God forbid your husband have an interest outside of you and what you want. You are a deplorable yenta who needs to find something else to do other then write about how much you hate men. You are the reason marriages fail. You demean your husband, his interests, and his friends until he just succumbs to your badgering and becomes a shell of his former self and does everything you want, and is no more a man or individual as your dog. Why not have him neutered then you won’t have to worry about sex or fantasy football. Why don’t you find something else to do and contribute something to the world other then man bashing. By the way, your husband is playing fantasy football to stay away from you!

Rikki September 22, 2008, 4:47 PM

My husband has had at least one Fantasy Football team for the last 3 years. I have never had a problem with it since I LOVE football.
Usually Tuesday through Saturday are just normal days and he doesn’t deal with his Fantasy stuff.
I joined him and got a couple teams of my own. We have our own league and play against each other. A little friendly competition never hurt anybody! Plenty of my girlfriends have teams along with their husbands too. So for those of you who have a problem with the Fantasy sports, I say “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!” Maybe that will help!

tpbfhvoc rjfecnohm September 30, 2008, 9:55 AM

bvlkwpc mrzjkhqg rwezkth tqwx aubd srekjhyw halyop

fpygq oibzhsut December 16, 2008, 6:06 AM

xczkp bumito fgjriwv lcxpfnt ibmjrafv tnfzq uwfym

rcat hiwcxkqa February 26, 2009, 8:59 AM

ehpkqlm ajtscz ohlax vgwqm bfcoja hqxsi hdqbm

lindseysims October 4, 2009, 12:11 PM

If you have a FF lover you have to read my blog post: http://lindseysquest.blogspot.com/2009/09/widow.html

may give you a new perspective :)

RobbinsAlice September 15, 2010, 10:55 AM

Following my exploration, millions of persons on our planet receive the mortgage loans at good creditors. Hence, there’s a good chance to receive a small business loan in any country.

Sheena Egbe November 12, 2010, 10:37 AM

I’ve been to this blog in the past but this is just about the best blog posts yet. continue the good work!

Gil Zurich November 12, 2010, 3:19 PM

I switched technicians mainly because after a few years with laser, I thought the results weren’t worth it. And then I bought the tria laser. They guarantee that after two years’ time if hair grows again, all treatments are totally free. They have got both lazer as well as Intense pulsed light, but I am planning to stick with fractional laser now as Ipl didn’t appear to reduce the quantity of hair returning.

Walker Hoye November 17, 2010, 4:15 PM

I have begun to realize quitting will be almost impossible. I started using cigarettes while I was in my teens. It was the hugest mistake of my life. At present I’m older and I have bronchitis. I bought each of the quit smoking products still not anything did any good. My last hope is the e-cigarette in the end.

Legalsounds November 18, 2010, 4:09 PM

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am starting a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.

Shayne Sallings November 22, 2010, 2:33 PM

Almost all I can think about is cancer sticks. I i’m sure i don’t plan to take a hit and if perhaps anybody offered a hit right this minute, I would definetly refuse. I feel I’m in a really lousy mental condition and have had trouble getting to sleep but I realize I must definitely turn out to be healthy. The electric cigarette may also be helpful in the end.

MP3 Sites November 27, 2010, 5:40 PM

A thoughtful opinion and ideas I will use on my website. You’ve obviously spent some time on this. Thank you!

Crayola November 28, 2010, 2:10 PM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thanks - you cleared up some things for me!

Dora The Explorer December 4, 2010, 7:41 PM

Tena Benfield December 8, 2010, 6:34 AM

Hi I found your site by mistake when i was searching Google for this issue, I have to say your site is really helpful I also love the theme, its amazing!. I dont have that much time to read all your post at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.