The 'Juno' Effect Strikes Washington

The daughter of the Republican vice presidential candidate is due in late December.

sarah_bristol_270.jpg

Yesterday in Moms Are Talking About, we told you Bristol, the 17-year-old daughter of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, is five months pregnant. And just like Jamie Lynn (and Madonna in Papa Don't Preach), she is keeping the baby.

Since Juno hit screens last year, teen pregnancy has suddenly been in vogue again. In recent months, The Secret Life of the American Teenager hit small screens, and the Gloucester, Massachusetts pregnancy pact made headlines. And now Bristol is pregnant, too.

Bristol claims she is marrying the baby's father, but on his MySpace page, he says he does not want kids. Go to PAGE TWO to see Bristol's baby daddy...and find out how other moms are reacting to the pregnancy news.

next: David Duchovny: Sexaholic
Dorothy September 4, 2008, 7:27 AM

I just wanted to comment on the fact that many young people in this world get pregnant. Who is anyone to say what is right or what is wrong? It is their life and people in the USA have the freedom to do as they please…It is a free society.
I got pregnant when I was 16 years old and I had my baby. I am not saying I wished to get pregnant. I was talked into sex by the guy who later dumped my ass for the other girl he was sleeping with behind my back(He was 21 and I was 16…In today’s society he would be in) prison for that as I was only 15 when he had sex with me).
I honestly was never spoken to about sex and really didn’t even know much about it. That was 30 years ago when people didn’t talk to their kids about sex as much as today.
I think it is a good thing that she wants to have the baby. She has family that will help her if she gets in too deep and she will have the resources to take care of the child.
I didn’t have the resources or the knowlege to raise a child at that age. I was lucky enough to have my aunt & Uncle raise my son for me.
Today he has 2 batchlor degrees and is now in his 3rd year of law school. He is married with a beautiful daughter of his own and is well adjusted. He knows I am his biological mother and I am part of his life. I know I did the right thing by having my baby.
Let that young girl alone and let them all live their lives. Life is too short to be bitching about someone elses life!!
People should live their own lives. The people that have the holier the thou attitude most likely have much more hiding in their closets then this young girl and her pregnancy!

Mom to One September 4, 2008, 7:44 AM

Judy C - you are obviously not up-to-date on Obama’s voting records, or his official stance on abortions. Anyone who says late term and partial birth abortions should be legal obviously do NOT believe unborn children deserve the basic human right to life.

Kate - I don’t believe I ever said you shouldn’t make your own choices. I do believe I said you have no right to tell anyone their decision is wrong, or stupid. Maybe you should reread my post, as well as your first post.

Lesa September 4, 2008, 8:48 AM

[QUOTE]
CK1 wrote:
Teen pregnancy is widespread and nothing new. So why exploit an innocent child? Move on to the real issues…1)The war 2)The economy 3)Education 4)Healthcare , etc. etc.
[END QUOTE]

Listen to yourselves!! “Teen Pregnancy is widespread and NOTHING NEW”?? You are the right-winger here!! You should (and always have been before) BE AGAINST THIS SORT OF THING. To me, this just says—it’s o.k. if they are christians breeding more christians—IS THAT IT?? TELL THE TRUTH!! And why is the war listed as #1 on your list? You are out of touch.

[QUOTE]
April wrote to Jezzie:
I was born and raised in the Bible Belt. And I still live in the Bible Belt. I attend church every Sunday and some Wednesdays (when work and family schedules allow it)… and I have seen many teens get pregnant, only to have an abortion because it’s shameful or inconvenient to them. In my small town, a teen pregnancy is often swept under the rug.
[END QUOTE]

I DETECT A PROBLEM HERE. Bible belt. Many teens pregnant. Abstinence Only policies. DUH. WHEN THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE GONNA WAKE UP AND SMELL THE CONDOMS?????! Jeez. Abstinence only DOES NOT WORK.

CK1 September 4, 2008, 9:43 AM

Lesa, The war is on my list because it is IMPORTANT. Democrats tend to just push aside the war, as if America is wrong for fighting this war. Let me remind you that on Sept. 11, seven years ago, the twin towers and thousands of people were destroyed by terrorists. They killed THOUSANDS OF AMERICANS. That is why the war is important. We need to protect America from terrorists and we can’t do it sitting on our asses and hoping it will just go away. We have a strong military that understands this. They make huge sacrifices so that you are safe here in America. Does any of this make sense to you or do you think if we just hold up peace signs the terrorist HATRED for Americans and others will just go away? And next, I don’t give a crap what you think about how I raise MY kids. I have kind, loving children. My daughter, who I explained had a child when she was a teenager graduated out of high school in THREE years. She is now working in the ICU in a Hospital and continuing her education. I am DAMN PROUD OF HER! She didn’t sit around saying poor me, she took what some consider a bad situation and turned into something GOOD. She is raising her son on her own and working hard to make a good life for the both of them. SHE IS A STRONG WOMAN. She will accomplish alot in her life and she won’t let people who choose to judge her stop her. When my daughter was pregnant she had to deal with UGLY people who judged her harshly. There was no support for her other than ONE caring teacher at school and her family. It didn’t break her, it made her stronger. So as you write your nasty little comments just remember you are among the those who try to destroy others with your unkind words and judgment. BUT, you can’t break me or my family. AND, you won’t break Sarah Palin and her family. She is one hell of a WOMAN! She is a GREAT EXAMPLE for women! She stands up for what she believes in and she doesn’t take any crap from anyone. Kind of like me! I love her and I feel like I know her pretty well…

Mom to One September 4, 2008, 11:04 AM

Lesa - did I mention anything about my stance on abstinence-only policies? Maybe you and Kate can get together and learn how to read what people ACTUALLY write.

And this is exactly why I’m a Republican - I must be too smart to be a Democrat.

Sharman September 4, 2008, 4:00 PM

When her mother chose to accept the position as VP in the running, she put her child out there for scrutiny just like any other politician and their family! My guess is this, Palin is not the mother of the 5-month-old baby boy with Down Syndrome, she is the grandmother. Otherwise this young girl became pregnant while supposedly at home on bedrest with MONO??? It is also suspicious that this young girl was home for 5 months and then all the sudden mommy announced she was pregnant (which no one knew…people state that she never showed!) I believe the baby already here is her grandson and watch and see….we’ll hear shortly that the daughter has lost her baby due to the stress of the campaign and the public’s outcry!! Just watch! Photos of her daughter look to be that of a POST-BABY belly, and what about all this preaching of abstinence?? Didn’t do much good in her own family did it?? This woman is a sarcastic, narcissistic, stuck-on-herself, no experience wanna be! Her quick quips and come backs don’t make her appealing, they bring to mind the fact that she has no experience and jokes her way through the interviews. Personally I don’t want to have to see her or listen to her a VP…GO OBAMA!! She has no more experience then the local 20 year old mayor of my city! I think he has more….he runs a city of 40,000 where she runs a city of 9,000!!
She has/is trying to take polar bears off the endangered species list so that oil drilling can commence. She is an advocate of money, not the sanctity of our wildlife and environment. Heaven help us if she and McCain make it into office. Those who vote for them will be responsible and remember…you will get what you deserve!!

Allena September 5, 2008, 12:33 PM

It’s so funny how many people are stumbling around the ‘net whining about this girl’s privacy, leaving UMPTEEN comments and generating SO MUCH traffic.

“Shame on you Momlogic for writing about this…now where’s page 2 and can I see more pictures of the boy?”

Stupid. THe media loves this cause its consumers love this, as evidenced by the amount of comments in every story about this.

Joe A September 16, 2008, 8:53 AM

Hey people get over it.She is not the first teen to get pregnant!!!I’m glade she’s having the baby,but i think she should hold off on the marrage part.They need to give there lifes sometime to think thing thru.
What if it was Biden daughter,would we be making a fuss about him?