Dad Lessons from Clay Aiken

This week, Clay Aiken decided to announce that he was gay. His decision to "come out" was prompted by his son's birth last month to his longtime friend Jaymes Foster, sister of megamusic producer David Foster. "I cannot raise a child to lie or hide things," he told People magazine.

clay aiken

Well, Clay, you got us thinking. Does that mean we all need to start shouting our own lies from the rooftops in order to teach our children the virtues of honesty? Perhaps. But some of us here at Momlogic think some skeletons are best left in the closet.

Here are some of the worst lies our staff members have told:

"When I was in college, I was on a flight that got canceled and it was going to be hours until they were going to get us on another flight. Desperate to get back to school, I totally mustered up tears and started crying and told the gate agent that I had to get home to my 'father's funeral.' They marched me right on to the next flight and sat me in first class. I still feel horrible about it!"

"I used to pretend I was a 1/4 black."

"When I was five years old I pretended I couldn't see the board in class. My parents took me to eye doctor and I lied and said that I couldn't see that either. The doctor said, 'I'm sorry, but your daughter's gone blind.' Clearly, I wanted attention."

"When I fart, I always tell my husband that one of our dogs did it because he gets really mad if they smell bad..."

"My friend was visiting my husband and I, and totally had sex with another friend of ours. But she was married! And she made me swear I wouldn't tell my husband. It was the worst lie ever. She and I are no longer friends."

"I once -- accidentally -- set off an alarm during a party at a very expensive Hollywood home, and it stopped the party for a little while. The homeowner thought the person next to me did it, and since I didn't know that person well, I let him take the fall instead of me. It wasn't a huge deal, but the host was pretty mad at that guy and probably didn't invite him back."

"When I was in high school I was secretly dating my best friend's boyfriend. One day she called and asked where I was. I told her I was housesitting for a neighbor, which was true ... but what I didn't tell her was that her boyfriend was with me. But when she called my house, my mom told her she thought I was with her. I got caught!"

What's YOUR worst lie? We want to know!

next: Homeownership is Bad for Kids
Pat September 29, 2008, 9:01 AM

The media has been hounding Clay Aiken for years to ‘come out.’ Now that he has, you’re saying he should be quiet.

This man can’t win no matter WHAT he does!

Jan September 29, 2008, 9:18 AM

I commend you for this article. One thing (of many things) that has bothered me, Clay says he could not lie or teach his child to hide things because he was not taught to lie or hide things. But was he taught that the homosexual lifestyle is okay, that having gay sex is right? I know his mom didn’t teach him that….Pat, I’d like to think that none of us are slaves to the media and must do what they say. What a sad thing to think Clay might have been influenced to tell this just because the media hounded him.

Barb September 29, 2008, 10:29 AM

Jan, I sure do hope Clay was taught that a homosexual lifestyle is OK! Because it IS OK… being yourself is OK, whether you’re gay, straight or something in between. We need to teach our children tolerance, and explain that even if a lifestyle isn’t for us, there’s no reason to stop someone else from doing what’s right for them.

As for Clay, I just hope he’s happy—that’s all most people want in life, and with his new baby, I’m sure he’s viewing life a little differently.

Donna September 29, 2008, 11:41 AM

Jan, please do elighten us about what the “homosexual lifestyle” entails. The homosexuals I know work and pay their mortgages and volunteer and raise their kids and love their families and, if they live in MA or CA, get married. The “homosexual lifestyle” is no different than the “heterosexual lifestyle” (who would ever use such an absurd phrase?).

lodewijk September 29, 2008, 11:59 AM

I salute with clay bcs he taught his children not to be lier…but I am very proud if You can changed your lifestyle from gay to normal lifestyle (turn away from sin-remember sodom & gomora!!!) after that You’ll be able to teach all the children and all over the world that “gay can changed to be normal lifestyle”…Heavan and earth will be happy if you take decision to be normal lifestyle.

KidsComeFirstBeforeEgos September 29, 2008, 12:13 PM

Looks like Mr. Aiken made the Top 10 Idiots this week, well deserved. Coming out is one thing, but don’t hide behind your kids. Bad first step as a new Dad, Clay. In a few years when someone shows little Parker that cover photo with the Words “YES, I’M GAY” printed over it, maybe you will get it.

Please stop the media drama and get some professional help. Mommy Jaymes as well. If you two are truly caring parents, then you will get out of the music biz and provide a real life to baby Parker.

Top Ten Idiots:

Anonymous September 29, 2008, 12:20 PM

There are a lot of things I will NEVER tell my kids. Drinking until I passed out, drugs and sex with many partners are secrets that will die with me.

Anonymous September 29, 2008, 12:38 PM

well that would be all nice and dandy but he has been lying for 5 years about being straight - straight so that his fans defended him against gay rumours - and in the magazine article he said he never lied well- yes you did daddy you lied about never lying and left your fans hung out to dry - with egg on their faces for telling people you are staight - you said it in print and interviews - so here’s the scoop you are a lying gay daddy…

Anonymous September 29, 2008, 1:58 PM

Donna, Please forgive the use of the term “homosexual lifestyle”. I know that gay men work hard and lead lives similar to heterosexuals. What I should have said instead is simply this: “gay sex”. If you want to believe that is okay in God’s eyes, that’s your right. Isn’t that the one difference between heterosexual and homosexual? Surely it can’t also be their appearance, the way they talk and walk, etc. That is very stereotypical, which is why many fans did not ago by that to determine in their minds whether Clay was gay or not.

REA September 29, 2008, 3:21 PM

Congrats Clay on having the guts to do this for your baby. (cute little guy)I can imagine this was not an easy thing to do. Being gay is not a flaw - it’s a fact. Looks like you have at least one fan you’re better off without.

eric September 30, 2008, 2:16 AM

what the hell does Clay Aiken know about being a good parent? should you call a gay man father? or Mother?

Chrissy September 30, 2008, 9:42 AM

Everybody else already knew. No big secret there! I’m sure it makes him feel better though.

Cindy September 30, 2008, 12:02 PM

Do you guys (who are bashing him for being gay) realize that gay-bashing is just as bad as being racial???? Oh, I guess you guys are probably racial, too.

If you are a Christian, the bible tells you not to judge. Yes, the bible says that being homosexual is wrong…but, it doesn’t tell you to judge another person for their choice.

Those who live in glass houses, shouldn’t throw stones. I’m sure you have a few things in your history, where you made incorrect choices…seeing as how the only ‘perfect’ person was Jesus!!!

Dorothy September 30, 2008, 12:47 PM

Clay have you had plastic surgery? You look a lot different these days. Just wondering… By the way it is okay that you are gay..I say so what..To each their own!

BacheloretteParty December 21, 2010, 8:13 PM

I read somewhere on this site there is talk about a bachelorette party. When it’s about that time to organize a bachelorette party make sure to see MyBacheloretteParty.com - A good amount of pretty crazy ideas