When Mommy's a Tomboy

Guest blogger Karyn Bryant: Last night I went to see "The Women" with a girlfriend of mine. When I came home and told my husband what movie I had seen, he said something to the effect of, "Isn't that a chick flick? What were you doing there?"

tomboy

I have to admit, oftentimes the things girls are supposed to enjoy doing kind of bore me. Don't get me wrong, I love to shop as much as the next gal -- and I did find myself swooning over some of the clothes in the movie -- but I'd honestly rather go to a fight or a football game than a mani-pedi party.

I've always been a tomboy, which comes in handy these days when I'm on the job, but it often makes my daughters' playgroup get-togethers a bit exhausting for me. The moms I hang out with are fantastic, educated and dynamic ladies, but I can only take so much talking about breeding! Luckily, we are all pretty fired up about the election, so we do spend a lot of time on that, but my goodness! Doesn't anyone care that Tom Brady got hurt? Or that the Fall Classic (that's the World Series for all you baseball novices) will be underway soon? What about the big Kimbo Slice fight I'm covering in a couple weeks? Anyone? Anyone?

And that's why I've threatened to crash my husband's guy get-togethers. They cook tons of food, smoke cigars and shoot the breeze about everything but organic diapers and blocked milk ducts. What a respite that would be!

next: When Daddy Has a Favorite
Anonymous September 27, 2008, 9:31 AM

Tomboy is one thing but fights are barbaric and disgusting. It’s great when a person can be well-rounded and discuss a variety of topics.

Deborah Smith September 27, 2008, 9:42 AM

I’m a huge fan of working out. My favorite day of the week is when I get to go punch the you know what out of a heavy bag in my boxing class. I love to lift and have been doing it for 20 years. I have two boys who are very proud of how strong mommy is. I think it’s so cool that my boys can’t wait to be old enough to lift with Mom. I totally relate to the not having a lot in common with many of my mommy friends, but I’ve made some great friends at the gym over the years who share my interests in health and fitness.

Thanks for the article.

Maria September 27, 2008, 10:02 AM

That makes you a more interesting person, and not one dimentional. Nothing wrong with that.

marsha September 27, 2008, 1:05 PM

When mommy’s a tomboy.

Wow, I can really relate to what you are saying!!!!! My favorite place to shop is the hardware stores. Being the only girl in the family and in the neighborhood, my Barbie was used more for catch then dress up, I had rather be playing soccer or baseball with the guys then walking around with my baby doll in the stroller. When the guys wouldn’t let me play with them. I would design and sew clothes for Barbie and sell them at school. I started doing this at 6 years old. I must say I am still designing and sewing clothes for my 6’4”, 250lb.,football player son, and my fox terrier-doxie dog, who is only 14lbs.

Anna September 27, 2008, 9:11 PM

I watch hockey for the violence

Cassandra March 4, 2009, 7:57 PM

I totally relate with you on this one. I am the definition of a tomboy. I have never really been interested in going to get my nails done, or spending 6 hours tryin to find one pair of shoes. I would much rather be playing basketball with the guys!

toolgirl April 17, 2009, 5:28 PM

Man can I relate. I am the second of 4 sisters (no brothers). Spent most of my free time with my father doing contracting work, or fixing cars or baling hay. I am also a great cook. My husband loves my skills. I have driven a semi truck and now work in the tool department of a department store. Love to shop at Home Depot. My daughter is in college to work in the agriculture field. Loves pick-up trucks and will NEVER have to pay someone to change her oil.

ali August 19, 2009, 12:24 PM

Nice. I feel ya. i grew up playing GI Joe with my brother instead of barbies w my sister. Now I am a mom of 3 and find it hard to connect with other moms. Anyone here might want to check out my blog as I get it going.
droppingfigleaves.wordpress.com

~Ali

the three peaks challenge March 6, 2011, 4:23 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.