Palin: Trailblazer or Bad Mother? You Decide!

Moms debate over whether Sarah Palin would make a good vice president.

trailblazer_cover_270.jpg

There is no bigger news this week than vice presidential hopeful Sarah Palin. Mothers everywhere are at odds over whether this mom of five is fit to be VP.

McCain met Sarah Palin for the first time in February at a National Governors Association meeting, where they chatted for 15 minutes. They met in person for a second time last week, when he invited her to his ranch in Sedona, Arizona. There, McCain offered her a spot on his ticket. Despite barely knowing her, McCain has called Sarah Palin his campaign "soul mate."

In Alaska, Governor Palin...

• Challenged a corrupt system and passed a landmark ethics reform bill.

• Used her veto and cut budgetary spending.

• Put a stop to the "bridge to nowhere" that would have cost taxpayers $400 million dollars.

• She's also being investigated for the firing of a commissioner for public safety, Walter Moneghan. Mr. Moneghan claims that he was fired as commissioner because he refused to fire a state trooper who was divorcing Palin's sister. Plus, her opponents claim she simply doesn't have enough experience to be Commander in Chief, should something happen to John McCain.

The governor of Alaska is the mother of 5 children--Track, 18; Bristol, 17; Willow, 13; Piper, 7; and Trig, 4 months. As we all know by now, 17-year-old Bristol is pregnant, and 4-month-old Trig has Down syndrome. It has been reported that Palin went back to work just three days after giving birth to Trig.

The conversation got heated at momlogic yesterday, when we ran "The 'Juno' Effect Strikes Washington."

Mom Kate said: "Don't waste your vote on someone who will open up Alaska to drillers and take away women's reproductive rights. Just because she is a woman doesn't mean she is good for women."

But not everyone agrees with Kate...not by a long shot. Go to PAGE TWO to hear other moms' opinions.

Bruce September 3, 2008, 4:23 PM

I dont care about her family. I care that she is deluded and thinks the literal bible’s myths should be taught in school and that therefore she cannot lead against global warming, since the earth in her view is only 7000 years old. I am not comfortable with her pastor and she seems to have supported his point of view that the next big war is going to bring on armageddon.
I dont want a president who WANTS WAR to bring her Jesus. And she would be president, since she is only 44 and McCain is 72 already.

idetha September 3, 2008, 4:42 PM

The republicans are joking. They are kidding only themselves, to think in there mind that they put country first.
who are you fooling you put money and
power first. You do not care about the
americans in this country. so stop trying to fool us . Do you think we are
that foolish? You will not scare me
to vote for you this time. And tonight
try talking about how you are going to
improve the economy, instead of trying to tear obama down. I am an indepentant voter
and i can not be bought.

Kimberly/Mom in the City September 3, 2008, 4:44 PM

I wouldn’t say that Palin is a bad mother, because I don’t really know her true family dynamics.

In my opinion though, she is a bad pick for VP. Although I admire many of her traits and experiences. I don’t think that she’s qualified and I don’t agree with many of her political stances. I think that as women we need to focus on the bottom line…would she make a great president?

I personally know many great moms with many children (and some have special needs). Although I admire many of them, I wouldn’t want any of them to be the VP of our country either!

cara September 3, 2008, 4:52 PM

I think she’s honest and honorable. She could of made her kid get a secret abortion ( like so many other pol’s from both sides before her ) and saved face, lived a lie….but she didn’t. It shows her character and true colors. I appreciate people who show you their scars, let you see the worst of them, it just makes them seem all the more trust-worthy. And as to these crazy views…look, Bushee was the leader of the right wing born again christian army, and you can still get an abortion, so obviously, if it didn’t happen under him, it won’t happen under McCain. (not only that, but a lot of his army have suddenly switched teams…that is what haunts me, if you know what I mean)

Salina September 3, 2008, 6:03 PM

It sure doesn’t take long to know how the democrate power brokers feel about a strong woman, like Hillary or Palin. This is the same trash they pulled on Hillary. They wont get my hispanic vote this time, NO WAY, those days are long gone!

GO GIRL YOU HAVE MY VOTE

PS: MOM named Bruce, I think your referring to the wrong canidate. That sounds like OBAMA’s paster the Rev Wright, who is totally wrong!

basementfrog September 3, 2008, 6:18 PM

Explain why Levi Johnston shouldn’t be arrested as a pedophile, that’s what she needs to do. Does she support pedophilia when it envolves her children? If she can’t protect her children from pedophiles, how can she protect the country?

This is his second child; the first was with a 13 year old girl. Even by Alaskan standards (which are very loose) that is a bit young.

Sick…. really sick… yea, we want her in the White House. Her and her husband are good evangelicals, and typical of the breed. But lets move on to other issues.

Will she support states that wish to secede from the United States, since her and her husband were both in a party pushing to have Alaska secede from the Union?

Will she legalize pot since she smokes it herself?

Will she start supporting unwed mothers, particularly teens so they can finish an education through college?

Katie September 3, 2008, 6:31 PM

I just want to hear someone say they’ll make it easier for moms to stay home and raise their families instead for making it easier for them to work to have other people raise their kids.

Natalie September 3, 2008, 6:41 PM

I can’t stand Palin, and I most definately don’t want her running my country. IMO, she’s a poor mother who’s against sex education, and because of that, her 16 year old daughter is now pregnant. She claims to be a Christian, but obviously has not instilled those same beliefs in her family and with her children. Being a stay at home mother, I have no respect for her. She went back to work 3 DAYS after her down syndrome baby was born?!? What does that say about her? That tells me that she has no compassion, and no love for her children. That baby boy needs her AT HOME, not in the white house, which is where she’ll end up since McCain is old a crap. Ugh. She disgusts me.

John September 3, 2008, 7:51 PM

Sarah Palin was for the Bridge to Nowhere before she was against it. Be very careful America… the country is in trouble… the last thing we need is someone with next to no experience running it. I’m sure she’s a nice person, but we need someone with judgement. “Executive” experience is not the end all be all. You need to be a citizen of the world and interested in many things to make the complex decision the Presidency requires. I hear she’s barely been on the the country. This reminds me of Bush jr.

Stephanie September 3, 2008, 8:51 PM

I am all for women in government. But not any woman, and definitely not her! She doesn’t support comprehensive sex-ed, or even science-based science classes (she’s for teaching creationism in the public schools!) She tried to ban books in Alaska. I could go on about her other problems (and there are many) but my main concern is what she will do to education. I say thumbs down on Palin.

Anonymous September 3, 2008, 9:15 PM

SHE HAS MORE EXPERIENCE THAN OBAMA IN RUNNING A TOWN, A CITY AND AN ENTIRE STATE. HE HAS BEEN IN SENATE FOR THREE YEARS AND THAT IS IT.

Pediatrician September 3, 2008, 10:26 PM

Obama - Columbia undergraduate, Harvard Law School.
Palin - Univ of Idaho, and…. sportscasting on small town TV.

Obama - years working in big city politics and community work, in a big diverse state representative of the US.
Palin - years as mayor of a town so small it is not on most maps, in a state not representative of the US.

Obama - successful state senator in a big state.
Palin - Gov under investigation for misuse of power in a state smaller than most medium size cities.

Obama - national experience as a Senator from Illinois.
Palin - absolutely no experience outside of Alaska!

Experience? Obama has the background and the experience we need. Palin is a joke - a bad joke that plays on everything that is wrong about “red states” - more concerned about hunting than international relationships, more concerned about abortion than about the lives of children, and… ignorant.

Furthermore, she is a bad mother. No good parent would push her daughter and disabled child into this situation to further a career. Shameful!

Anonymous September 3, 2008, 10:56 PM

Again bringing Christian morals into it. Well Palin is right we should teach creationism in schools. Evolution is a theory not a fact. Why should we teach it as such? Biblically I know Palin and McCain will not take the White House. Obama is set and poised to lead us down the road of change. Exactly as Profits predicted so long ago. He is leading us into Armageddon and we are ever so happy to let him do so. Open your eyes people and see what is happening before you.

I have a good book you should read. It is called the Bible pay specail attention to Revelations.

As for Palins daughter Bristol it is against what most Christians believe to become pregnant before marriage but we also believe in forgiveness. Children and adults alike make mistakes. God forgives us and so should you!

Becky September 3, 2008, 11:23 PM

First of all she is no way prepared to be VP. She needs to be at home with her kids, she has military son, special needs baby , and teenage daughter that is knocked up,That in itself it alot on any mom’s plate. Obviously her own no-sex policies failed. Mccain obviously was not thinking clearing . I feel disgusted that he picked her. If he wanted to pick a woman VP there are others more qualified . She needs to stay at home teach her kids some morals.

MS mom September 3, 2008, 11:24 PM

Sarah Palin needs to spend more time with her daughter and not in public office. Besides, if you do the calculation; her son Trig is four months and her daughter Bristol is five months pregnant so she and daughter were pregnant at the same time how digusting is that.

Lydia September 3, 2008, 11:33 PM

I just heard Palin’s speech.Very good,funny and well thought out.I beleive she is “ruthless”.That is why she went from Hockey mom to V.P. nom.I beleive women CAN do anything.NOT this women.

Mustbedreaming September 3, 2008, 11:33 PM

The RNC sucks, the VP pick Palin is a disgrace to this country She needs to be home with her kids. Its ironic how Obama stood up and told the media to back off her daughter how she obviously didnt know how to keep her legs closed. And RNC all she does is bash him .She is shady.And unfit mother.

NYC mom September 3, 2008, 11:37 PM

Since when does a mom have to be a stay-at-home mom? Have we just gone back 50 years and I didn’t know it? Why are all of you attacking her for working?

Nancy September 3, 2008, 11:42 PM

Palin, seriously? from Alaska? McCain was born before alaska even became a state. He is 72 . People need to wake up and realize he is one step away from a hospital bed. If she cannot enforce simple sex education policies in her own home of 5 kids how does she expect to lead millions of people. Wake up mccain isnt going to last 4 more years this is the future of our country . Not the future i want and not the first family i want in the white house. As a govt official one has to be a leader and role model. She needs to go back to her religious teachings obviously she is lacking sense and judgement allowing her daughter to be in the spotlight for her own political career gain. Its digusting she will NEVER get my vote. How bout someone educate her on foreign policy.

Working Mom September 4, 2008, 12:36 AM

I don’t know where to start. My husband and I raised 3 children with limited daycare and it was very difficult. I took off 3 months with each child and an additional 9 months with the last. It was a great financial loss to our family not because we made a lot of money but because we went into debt to do it. We felt it was invaluable to the welfare of our children. Gov. Palin would like us to believe she is actively involved in her children’s lives PTA, hockey, her daughter in need, her special needs infant, and she even does the cooking for them as well. In addition, she has apparently a wonderful relationship with her handsome husband while hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, and shooting. This is all while being a governor, now a V.P., and maybe the president. WOW! Unbelievable! Because it is.
What resources are available to her that I or the “average” person apparently doesn’t have.
I think lifestlye does come in to question when she tells me, like during her acceptance speech, that she understands what it’s like to struggle to pay bills and the difficulties with raising a family, and they’re just like any ordinary family. Give me a break!! As far as her experience goes and the possibility of becoming president, I am terrified. Maverick, ruthless, narrow minded, terms that could be used to describe her remind me of someone else that used to be described in similar words… George Bush.