Plane Crash Victim's Mom Shares Her Pain

Momlogic spoke to Linda Warn, the mother of Travis Barker's assistant Chris Baker, who died in last weekend's tragic plane crash.

chris baker

When Linda Warn heard a knock on her door at 4:30 early Saturday morning, she knew something was wrong --partially because it was out of the ordinary, but mostly because she got a similar knock only a month earlier when she found out another one of her sons was killed.

When Linda and her husband, Robert, were married 20 years ago, they combined their families. She had nine-year-old Chris and Robert had four-year-old Rob and two-year-old James. All five of them received wedding bands as part of the ceremony that day and officially became one unit.

Last month at around 5 a.m., Linda was awakened by a knock at the door. When she saw the cop at the door through the blinds, she found herself hoping her car had been broken into. But, when she saw his face, she knew something was wrong. She stopped him from speaking and waited for her husband to join them at the door. The policeman explained that their middle son, Rob -- now 24 -- a mild-mannered mechanic had been killed in a motorcycle accident. Linda said, "I felt so bad for the policeman that he had such terrible news to deliver."

Just 31 days later, a knock came in the early morning again. When she looked through the blind this time it was her oldest son's friend. When she saw his face, she immediately knew tragedy had struck for a second time. She opened the door and asked him if it was her two-year-old grandson, Sebastian. When he shook his head no, she asked if it was Chris. He said yes, and then she cried, "No!" He told her about the crash, and they walked inside and turned on CNN. From that point on she was in constant contact with Chris' wife, Jessie, who was talking to Barker's clothing company, Famous Stars and Straps. The news on TV wasn't confirming Chris was dead, but they all knew he was.

How does a mother cope with not one, but two, tragic losses -- so close together?

Continued on Page 2.

next: Even Celebs Fight with Their Folks!
foxymama September 25, 2008, 1:54 PM

Wow - what a tragedy! She’s a brave mother. i’m not sure I would have it all together and could cope.

Anonymous September 25, 2008, 3:43 PM

What a sad sad story. Makes you appreciate life a lot more!

Virginia September 25, 2008, 5:35 PM

I lost my son less than 2 years ago to a faceless murderer and exactly 18 months later my beloved husband died suddenly so I understand the pain that this mother is experiencing. My thougths and prayers are with all the families.

Molly Miller September 25, 2008, 6:24 PM

I just want to say how sorry I am for everyone that is involved in this nasty accident. I will most definitly pray for all of you. My heart goes out to Chris Bakers mom. She should not have to go through this kind of pain, not just once or twice.

Val  September 26, 2008, 6:26 AM

I would not even know where to begin grieving. I couldn’t even imagine it. My prayers and condolences go out to the entire family.

tracy September 26, 2008, 8:13 AM

I lost my 17 yr old son 2 and 1/2 yrs ago. i know how she is feeling…or maybe not cuz i dont know what i would do if i lost another one of my children…let alone a month later, my heart goes out to the family.

purplely September 26, 2008, 2:30 PM

All of you ladies who have lost a son, are VERY brave. I couldn’t stand to even imagine a tragery like that happening to me.

Bea September 26, 2008, 2:31 PM

I do know what this mother is going through and my heart goes out to her and her family. I lost my 3rd husband 2 years ago to cancer and just this last April my 36 year old son was murdered along with my ex husband in front of my grandkids. My heart broke. The pain will never go away when you lose a loved one but life does go on. So hang in there and believe in God.

ddby September 26, 2008, 2:33 PM

My heart and prayers goes out to you and I pray That God will comfort, strengthen, and richly bless all of you. I know that you will never stop missing these precious two sons, and that their memories will always be forever precious to you. I truely applaud you in your plans to make an extra effort to spend more time with the remaining son. I believe it will not only help your grief but his too. May God be with you all, and the grandson, too.

Mandy September 26, 2008, 2:43 PM

I feel for this poor mother.

Cookie September 26, 2008, 2:55 PM

There are never enought words to make any mother feel better. It only takes time, faith and family who can be emotionly there for you. God Bless You. I lost my loved one recently, it’s been very difficult and it is getting more tolerable!!!!

Cookie September 26, 2008, 3:02 PM

My heart goes out to this mother, it will take time and faith. And there are not enough words to explain the pain you are going through. I lost a loved one recently and it is getting better, but I still feel the pain off and on. It seems to be lifting and hopefully this is the Lords work!!!!!!!! God Bless You

Kathy September 26, 2008, 3:03 PM

It is so sad to hear of a Mother and Father losing two children so close together. God wanted them to be together, in heaven with each other.

ramoos8@aol.com September 26, 2008, 3:03 PM

I know somewhat the grief you went thru I lost my dear wife to cancer 5 years ago still have not stopped griefing love all and believe in god

Kimberly September 26, 2008, 3:08 PM

My thoughts & Prayers go out to the family… Only God is able to pull them thru!

B September 26, 2008, 3:10 PM

My condolences to all the families and friends of these people that are suffering from this tragedy.

Diane McDaniel September 26, 2008, 3:13 PM

My heart breaks for Linda. I can understand her pain. One year ago 9-16-07 my son Kevin was killed in a motorcycle accident. He died instantly and the pain has been incredible this past year. I can’t even imagine doubling that grief. You just have to let God carry you. If anyone has lost someone I recommend a book it is The Shack by William P. Young. My prayers go out to this family. Sincerely, Diane

Leslie September 26, 2008, 3:14 PM

I lost two sons on the same day and on Christmas, so I get a constant reminder each year when people are trying to spread xmas cheer. I’m very bah humbug.

b fish September 26, 2008, 3:25 PM

Having children is a tremendous emotional risk.. some are up to the challenge some are not those of us that take the chance of heartbreak also gain the ultimate reward the love that a child has for a parent and the eternal bond that binds us.. we will all be together one day,

Suzanne September 26, 2008, 3:27 PM

I lost both my parents and I walked in and found my brother dead (he’d just turned 40 2 weeks before. My thoughts are now (after a long period of time) on the love and fun we all shared. I pray you find peace and acceptance; because they do come to me in my dreams and let me know they are happy and fine. Remember the good times and all the love and God Bless you and your family.