twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Why Judges Take Kids Away

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

When we learned actress Sharon Stone lost her son Roan to ex-husband Phil Bronstein, we asked Judge Jeanine Pirro to shed light on what may have happened.


It was shocking when we heard it -- Sharon Stone had lost custody of eight-year-old son, Roan.

The judge ruled that Stone's ex-husband Phil Bronstein "shall have permanent sole physical custody" of the boy because he is able to "provide a more structured continuity, stable, secure and consistent home that ... Roan needs."

So what went wrong? While Stone has certainly been known for stirring up controversy, her parenting skills -- as far as we know -- have never been in question. Details has to why the judge ruled in Bronstein's favor haven't been released, so we got to thinking. What went so wrong? We asked Judge Jeanine Pirro to weigh in.

"Giving a father sole custody of a child is a very rare situation," Pirro says. "Sometimes if the parents live far apart from each other, the judge simply has to make a decision on who to let keep the child. But if one parent cannot provide a structured, stable, secure and consistent home life, there could be a few things going on."

• "Deeming a parent unfit is usually due to drug or alcohol abuse," Pirro says. "And sometimes that parent is suffering from a mental incapacity that creates a dangerous home life for the child."

• "Sharon is known for having public meltdowns and making shocking statements so it's possible this behavior was indicative of what was going on at home," she says.

• "The court's decision regarding custody and visitation can be changed at any time," Pirro says. "Both parents can ask the court to reconsider if Stone were to go into treatment or rehab for whatever went wrong. We'll all have to wait and see."

Tune in to watch "Judge Jeanine Pirro" every weekday on the CW at 3 p.m.

next: Who's Your (Donor) Daddy?
1 comments so far | Post a comment now
Rhonda Meyer December 11, 2009, 5:49 PM

I would love some help w/a domestic violence case that caused my daughter to run w/children. she needs legal help,an atty that will take case pro-bono! their are not funds out there for women in TX. how does one go about getting an court appointed atty? i am desperate to help w/no funds, my hands are tied! a FPO was turned in to county atty along w/x par ta for the other spouse to vacate!this is not about custody it is about domestic violence & abuse! can u give me any advice? help redheadedtexan

Back to top >>