Bedtime Ritual: Brush Teeth, Wash Face, Get Drunk

Forget the bedtime stories and brushing teeth, there's a new nightly ritual many moms are taking part in -- and it has nothing to do with "Goodnight Moon" or counting sheep. Nope, these moms are counting cocktails.

Woman kissing wine glass

One, two -- and sometimes three.

According to our informal survey of suburban and city moms, many women we spoke with admit they're daily drinkers. Some even said they never really cared for cocktails until they had kids. Now let's be very clear, we're not talking about swilling wine when we should be taking care of the precious little gems. But many moms we spoke to freely admit they love to end the day with a drink. They say it brings closure and signifies that their work is finally done.

Call it what you will: self medicating, mind numbing or plain and simple relaxing -- but moms everywhere seem to be finding solace in that evening cocktail. One mom we spoke with likes to pour a glass of wine, have a seat on the bathroom floor and chat with the kids as they take their evening bath. They unwind in the warm soapy water and she unwinds with her Chianti. Another wine-loving mom puts the kids to bed, pops open the cork, pours two glasses and spends the evening chatting with her husband -- no kids, no TV -- just the two of them, a bottle of wine and free-flowing conversation, just the way it was when they first fell in love. She says this ritual is vital to their relationship. Sure beats staring silently at the TV all night.

Now certainly drinking isn't something to be taken lightly -- in fact, the CDC defines excessive alcohol use for women as more than one drink per day average and binge drinking as four or more drinks in a single sitting. So be wary of the facts, ladies, and remember ... if you drink, drink responsibly and raise a glass to the end of another long, hard day. You deserve it.

next: Bill Clinton defends Sarah Palin
JMM September 23, 2008, 9:59 AM

I don’t do it daily. Frankly, because my husband works nights and I don’t want to drink alone. But I certainly don’t judge the moms who do. The end of the day and sleeping kids is like a victory that should be recognized.

Anonymous September 23, 2008, 10:22 AM

OMG - it really is like a victory lap. But I have to admit, I tend to drink more when my husband is away or working nights. It can get really lonely sometimes, that wine glass is a great way to escape.I actually recently thought I had aproblem till some of my girlfriends confessed how much they drink. I’m a lightweight by comparison.

icl September 23, 2008, 8:19 PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a glass or two of wine a night to wind down; and of course, you have to remember that American standards are considered stringent and puritannical by many cultures! That said, there’s a fine line between relaxing and getting incapacitated when you’re caring for your kids. But hey, if my kids are asleep, my husband and I like to enjoy a glass of wine and relax (or more!) with each other!

Me! September 23, 2008, 11:19 PM

It’s okay as long as mom isn’t drunk and can’t wake up during the night to check on the kids.

ashley September 24, 2008, 7:34 AM

Happy hour starts at 5 in my house. I have a cocktail while I’m cooking. Then one after dinneer while I’m bathing the kids. Then another after they go to bed. And another after that on the weekends. I never get so drunk I can’t take care of my kids. They are in be when I’m feeling tipsy anyways. I’m going to stop because it has gotten to be a habit and my mom has had 3 family members die with pancreantitis and liver disease.

Sarah September 24, 2008, 8:42 AM

It’s so good to hear other moms do this as well. I’ve been feeling guility that I need my “mother’s little helper” at night. But I can see I’m not alone. I never, ever drink to the point where I can’t take care of my kids or get up at night if they call for me. But I have to admit, I can’t remember the last time I went to sleep without a buzz on.

F.J September 24, 2008, 12:46 PM

I have to admit it I was never really a wine drinker or any other drinker for that matter;; however me and the Fab 5 (thats me and my girlfriends/neighbors) have a ritual every friday evening there is a cork popping in someones yard,living room or deck. It helps us reconnect after a week of work, mommy duty, wife duty and all the other hats WE women are priviledged to carry. We drink, we laugh, we talk and then go home and are well refreshed to be on our top game for the next week of WHATEVER comes up.

cash advance December 13, 2009, 7:41 PM

Good Afternoon!!! www.momlogic.com is one of the most excellent innovative websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. www.momlogic.com rocks!