Apple Martin, Get Up and Walk!!

Momlogic's Jayne: Call me crazy, but the sight of Gwyneth Paltrow's nearly five-year-old daughter being pushed around in a stroller infuriates me.

Gwyneth Paltrow and child

Now, don't get me wrong -- I love Gwyneth, in fact I feel quite connected to her because we were pregnant with our first children at the same time and had our kids nine days apart. But that doesn't mean I can't give a sister a little advice: Gwyneth, stop confining Apple to a stroller like a baby veal and make her walk!

I'm not sure who I really need to blame here. Does the blame lay squarely on Gwynnie's pin thin shoulders because she automatically throws her Apple into a cart whenever they go out? Or is it little Apple I need to blame for being so gosh darned lazy that she can't even walk around a farmers market. Hmmm?

Well, if it's Gwyneth who's to blame, then I have this to say: Gwyn, make her walk so that she doesn't turn into one of the millions of fatties out there. Exercise is crucial for little kids, and YES that means walking when going on errands etc. Surely you know this because you yourself choose to exercise two hours a day, six days a week -- at least that's what you told Oprah Winfrey when you were a guest on her show recently. So why wouldn't you make Apple walk when you have the chance? Do you want her to be a big fat sloth?

Gwyn, you may say that it's just quicker to put Apple in a stroller when you go out. Well, sure it's a pain to chase after kids as they walk the streets stopping every five minutes to wonder (in awe) about a line of ants crossing the pavement or a picture in a shop window. And yes, in a busy farmers market it can be a drag to carry bags and hold your child's hand but SO WHAT? Since when is every aspect of parenting supposed to be easy? And since when is allowing a perfectly able little girl to sit sullenly in her stroller sucking her thumb while life passes her by -- OK? Gwyn, this really isn't like you -- and I have to say I'm disappointed.

But if it's little Apple's fault and she flat out refuses to walk -- or makes having her walk such a nightmare that you wish you'd never left the house -- then I have this to say: Apple, honey, grow up! Get up! Take your thumb out of your mouth and WALK!

Do you think Apple should be walking? Comment in the momlogic community.

Bluebell Madonna and mom, Spice Girl Geri Halliwell Gwyneth Paltrow and Apple Brad Pitt and Maddox Jolie-Pitt
Celebrity Baby Names: Love It or Not? Celebrity Babies Celebs At Play: Posing or Playing?

next: Pregnant? Go to the Dentist
birdsfly October 21, 2008, 9:23 AM

Maybe she just puts her in strollers in really crowded places like the farmers market so she doesn’t have to worry about her getting lost in the crowd and kidnapped. Just a thought.

jconroy October 21, 2008, 9:49 AM

Back off! It’s none of your business and you couldn’t possibly know the circumstances for why she’s in the stroller from one picture. Plus you don’t have to parent with the paparazzi following you everywhere. Maybe she’s more safe in the stroller.

Why do Moms have to bash other Moms for their parenting choices? Everyone is entitled to do what works for them and their family. And the comments about getting fat only perpetuate the issues with self-image that all girls and women have to face. Shame on you!

mamajama October 21, 2008, 9:59 AM

this is another ridiculous momlogic article to get our hair raised - they seem to only excel at judgemental arguments.

Jessica October 21, 2008, 10:00 AM

Shame on you for writing this.

Marinka October 21, 2008, 10:05 AM

Ok, so apparently I’m the only one who agrees with the point of this article.

Why would a 5 year old kid, without limitations, be in a stroller? The only reason that I can think of is parental convenience. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for that. Except in this case, apparently.

Denise October 21, 2008, 10:06 AM

I agree. This could be a safety/security issue for her. Since she is swamped by paparazzi when she is out, perhaps this is the only way she eels safe! Not all of us are uber conficant mothers you know! Apple certainly does not look like a ‘fattie’ so back off!

Ellen Beamer October 21, 2008, 10:18 AM

I don’t recall ever even seeing Apple in a stroller - she’s usually on Gwyneth’s hip! Maybe she was developing scoliosis and had to throw her Apple in a cart.

At any rate, I agree. The girl should be accustomed to walking around in public. I can understand a full day at Disneyland or something, but an average day - no way. A stroller is a parental convenience, not a child’s necessity. Ditch it!

jconroy - Get over yourself. Do you never offer advice to others on how to do things differently or better? New ideas are what make the world go around. Lighten up and get in on the action. There’s plenty of unsolicited advice going around on the internet - that’s mine for you.

The comments about getting fat perpetuate the issues? How can you say that suggesting exercise for a child is an issue? It should be standard. A positive self-image is healthy and the earlier it is instilled in our children how to take care of themselves and stay healthy the better.

Next! Think Gwyneth will tackle the thumbsucking before her little fruit cup starts kindergarten?

Anonymous October 21, 2008, 10:57 AM

I can’t stand it when I see kids that are too big/old:
*to be in a stroller
*that are still using a pacifier
*that are still drinking from a baby bottle

sherry October 21, 2008, 11:02 AM

What you clearly don’t understand is the insanity of the paparazzi. I work in celebrity media and I see the unedited versions of photos. People like the crop that shows just the celebrity. What you don’t see in the crop is the huge crowd of photographers who are following and screaming out, “Gwyneth! Apple! Over here!” What you don’t see is the fans who follow them around.

When celebrities use strollers or carry their kids beyond the age that is the norm, it’s generally a safety issue. Apple could get hurt or lost or worse with the chaos.

Just because you don’t see her getting exercise doesn’t mean she’s not.

jconroy October 21, 2008, 11:42 AM

Ellen Beamer — if the article had been written in a tone that suggested it was “helpful advice” then it may have been fine. But it was not. It was written with much criticism, derogatory terms (“baby veal” & “fatties”) and judgment.

Thanks for your helpful suggestion to lighten up. I’m well aware of all that goes around on the internet. And unfortunately a lot of it is not helpful and supportive. It would be nice if we could not beat each other up so much. I’m tired of the Mommy Wars…it’s not helping anyone.

praying4baby#2 October 21, 2008, 11:53 AM

I THINK IT’S JUSTIFIABLE CONSIDERING THAT THEY ARE IN THE PUBLIC EYE. SHE MIGHT BE TAKING PRECAUTION OF HAVING HER CHILD IN HER CONTROL.

Anonymous October 21, 2008, 12:11 PM

Clearly they need to be worrying about childhood obesity with her… I mean, did you see the size of the little girl’s legs???

Get over yourself!! I’m sure the girl walks plenty. This is all based off of one photo? Give me a break.

Proud Mom of five! October 21, 2008, 12:19 PM

Oh my gosh! Do you have nothing better to do than complain about whether Apple walks or not? What diference does it make your children were born days apart. WOW, GOOD FOR YOU! You must be a very important person! Who knows what the circumstances of the day were when this picture was taken. Did you ever stop to think that maybe they had been out running errands all day and Apple was tired. I’m more concerned with the fact the kid is sucking her thumb at her age. That raises flags that she is not feeling secure for some reason.
The comments about fatties shows the mentality of this author. It is because of you that our youth are walking around worrying about their appearance instead of what is important in life. Good health is very important but calling people fatties shows how vain and uneducated must be. Pick up a book! I feel sorry for your kids. Spend a little time thinking about more important thngs!

Michelle October 21, 2008, 12:24 PM

My 5 yr old rides in an umbrella stroller at Disney. We get around faster and she is shaded.

RealMomsHaveCurves  October 21, 2008, 1:24 PM

I think she would be afraid of the paparazzi jumping all over her kid. And since we’re at it, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen Zahara (Brangelina’s daughter) walk either.

Anonymous October 21, 2008, 1:29 PM

Proud mom of five - if Apple was SOOO tired that she couldn’t walk then her fabulous mother should have kept her at home - how about that? And in case you didn’t notice - she was not swarmed by paparazzi right then - the photo was taken from a distance. And I have to agree with the author of the piece - just because you don’t like the word “fatties” doesn’t mean that kids aren’t fat and unhealthy in this country!

Trina October 21, 2008, 3:26 PM

Anonymous - first, why can’t people just put their name instead of anonymous? it’s not like someone is going to say “lisa, from 9th grade algebra????” anyhow, there obviously was some paparazzi, someone took the picture! and besides, the picture doesn’t show much to the sides, they could be anywhere around her.

how does it affect us that she is in a stroller or sucking her thumb? IT DOESN’T!!!!!

lisa October 21, 2008, 4:39 PM

WHAT is the facination with celebrities anyway? Why do we care who’s dumping who, who’s preggers, who’s not, and on and on and on?

Anonymous October 21, 2008, 8:11 PM

How dare you make assumptions! As women and mothers we should be supporting each other! You have no idea what the situation is and even if you did, the beauty of having your own kids is being able to make your own choices for them. Shame on you!!

Ang October 21, 2008, 8:32 PM

Get out of the stroller and take the thumb out of the mouth!