Apple Martin, Get Up and Walk!!

Momlogic's Jayne: Call me crazy, but the sight of Gwyneth Paltrow's nearly five-year-old daughter being pushed around in a stroller infuriates me.

Gwyneth Paltrow and child

Now, don't get me wrong -- I love Gwyneth, in fact I feel quite connected to her because we were pregnant with our first children at the same time and had our kids nine days apart. But that doesn't mean I can't give a sister a little advice: Gwyneth, stop confining Apple to a stroller like a baby veal and make her walk!

I'm not sure who I really need to blame here. Does the blame lay squarely on Gwynnie's pin thin shoulders because she automatically throws her Apple into a cart whenever they go out? Or is it little Apple I need to blame for being so gosh darned lazy that she can't even walk around a farmers market. Hmmm?

Well, if it's Gwyneth who's to blame, then I have this to say: Gwyn, make her walk so that she doesn't turn into one of the millions of fatties out there. Exercise is crucial for little kids, and YES that means walking when going on errands etc. Surely you know this because you yourself choose to exercise two hours a day, six days a week -- at least that's what you told Oprah Winfrey when you were a guest on her show recently. So why wouldn't you make Apple walk when you have the chance? Do you want her to be a big fat sloth?

Gwyn, you may say that it's just quicker to put Apple in a stroller when you go out. Well, sure it's a pain to chase after kids as they walk the streets stopping every five minutes to wonder (in awe) about a line of ants crossing the pavement or a picture in a shop window. And yes, in a busy farmers market it can be a drag to carry bags and hold your child's hand but SO WHAT? Since when is every aspect of parenting supposed to be easy? And since when is allowing a perfectly able little girl to sit sullenly in her stroller sucking her thumb while life passes her by -- OK? Gwyn, this really isn't like you -- and I have to say I'm disappointed.

But if it's little Apple's fault and she flat out refuses to walk -- or makes having her walk such a nightmare that you wish you'd never left the house -- then I have this to say: Apple, honey, grow up! Get up! Take your thumb out of your mouth and WALK!

Do you think Apple should be walking? Comment in the momlogic community.

Bluebell Madonna and mom, Spice Girl Geri Halliwell Gwyneth Paltrow and Apple Brad Pitt and Maddox Jolie-Pitt
Celebrity Baby Names: Love It or Not? Celebrity Babies Celebs At Play: Posing or Playing?

next: Pregnant? Go to the Dentist
Crystal  October 21, 2008, 10:03 PM

I’m more disgusted by her sucking her thumb, than her being in a stroller. I hate to see kids over two yrs old sucking a thumb, sucking a binky, or sucking on a bottle. It just irks me.
But whatever. If you want your kids to have buck/deformed or rotten teeth…. then by all means, go ahead and let them.

Sharon October 22, 2008, 8:45 AM

I’m not going to comment on the article, since my thoughts have already been posted.
What I will do is ask other like minded momlogic readers to go to the bottom of the page and click on Contact Us, send them a note that says you’re sick of this kind of divisive crap for no reason. All I want is one place on the internet that I can go and actually find logic, especially when regarding children & parenting. They have named their site MomLogic, and I want them to live up to it! :-D

Pam October 22, 2008, 9:24 AM

I think the stroller is fine. It is much safer then the child walking and getting lost and Mom has free hands to shop. It’s the Moms that carry these older children that get me. Seriously, their backs will suffer, eventually.

leslie October 22, 2008, 12:40 PM

who cares!!!!! my daughter and apple are about the same age, she still rides in a double stroller with her brother. if it means keeping an eye on my child, then so be it, she will ride in a stroller until she is 18. they have some very mean people in this world, and i’d rather be safe then sorry! oh and my daughter still takes a pacifier! so deal with it

Danielle  October 22, 2008, 1:59 PM

Normally, I would be appalled. But being that Gwyneth is a very well known celebrity puts her kids at a MUCH greater risk than the rest of us. I say, anything she can do to keep her daughter within as close range as possible, is an absolute necessity!
I’m much more concerned about the thumb in the mouth! LOL! Drives me insane!

Michelle October 23, 2008, 1:58 AM

I don’t think Gwyneth cares what any of us think. Anyone think she actually visits this site just to check to see if anyone is critisizing her parenting skills. At least she’s pushing the stroller and not a nanny, she takes her kid with her, hey me too!! Cool with me!!

Kami October 27, 2008, 6:17 AM

this picture is of Moses Martin not Apple. I saw a picture of her children today and they both look exactly the same and both have long blonde hair!! I would not have believed it if I didn’t see the picture myself..

Donna October 27, 2008, 2:07 PM

My almost 5 year old daughter sometimes gets a ride in the stroller when we are out for a really long outing. We always bring a double stroller and a small stroller when we go to the zoo. I love how people are so judgmental by looking at a picture. You have absolutely no idea what was going on at the time that picture was taken. Maybe the girl felt sick or was sick or was just plain tired. The single most important thing that I have learned as a parent is never ever to judge another parent. I have been in situations that I thought I would never be in as a parent. You should try writing some real informative articles instead of this garbage!

Meagan October 27, 2008, 7:50 PM

Gwyneth should make her daughter walk!I have a three year old who no longer uses a pram/stroller so what’s Apple’s excuse?

Tania October 27, 2008, 8:30 PM

Oh to be the perfect mother who wrote this article. Is it good weather up there on your high horse?

Kimberley October 27, 2008, 9:02 PM

When my daughter was five she had a medical condition that meant she couldn’t walk long distances without huge amounts of pain. I also had a three year old and a baby. I was abused by other mothers or older women on several occasions (or overhead rude comments) because the five year old was in the pram or because the five year old was in the pram, while the baby was on my hip and the three year old walking. (We used various combinations depending on the day or distance). It was very hurtful to the self-conscious five year old and to me. Perhaps Apple has a medical condition. Unless you know, you shouldn’t comment, as my daughter was a thin but healthy looking child who “didn’t look like there was anything wrong” just like Apple.

Anonymous October 28, 2008, 1:33 AM

get a life! Who cares when a child is in /out of a pram, learns to ride a bike without training wheels, sucks a thumb, had a bottle, or (boob!) past the ‘norm”, learns to read,sleeps alone all nite, without a nite lite, can be toilet trained day and nite etc etc! gosh, this world is full of so many judgemental intolerant people & women who shld know better, r the worst! Model 2 ure children that there is a thing called DIVERSITY, thank god we r not all the same & we all make choices 4 OUR children! Concentrate ure concerns on bigger issues, like world poverty, & climate change and making sure every child has access to a good education and health care not comparing ure existence and ure childrens’ dev 2 some1 else’s! Sheya

lauren h October 29, 2008, 6:22 PM

is she always seen in a stroller?….i have no clue….but it seems to me her apple girl could have been ill or recovering and not up to being out tromping around but mom needed to go and also took her for some fresh air….honestly moms can be so mean about what other moms do….she isnt neglecting this child….and the way things are out there every day….it seems this wrath is totally midirected on someone who may be a little over protective….good for her…

Gems March 1, 2009, 8:54 PM

Wow! Does this lady have nothing to fill her time? To get mad at a mom with a kid is a stroller is insane. Maybe she could put that anger to better use, she could get angry at corrupt governments, countries that oppress women, etc.

Lady, leave Gwen be. Try getting mad at the absentee moms or ones that let their 10yr olds drive them to the liquor store because they are too drunk to drive.

Rachel March 16, 2009, 2:43 PM

Wow, never coming to this site again. Seriously worried about the world’s most healthful mom’s childrennot getting excercise? No. Can’t think of anything new to say/write? Yes.

personal loans December 10, 2009, 1:54 PM

Good Morning!!! www.momlogic.com is one of the most outstanding informational websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. All the best.

dofollow bookmarking sites March 29, 2011, 12:59 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

dofollowblog March 29, 2011, 2:31 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.