Autism Community Accepts Denis Leary's Apology

They call off a nationwide protest, but want a percentage of the book's proceeds donated to autism research.

denis leary

Mark Anthony Ramirez of Autism United is calling off a nationwide boycott planned against Denis Leary, and accepting his apology for his controversial comments in his book "Why We Suck" that said autism isn't a "real" disorder.

The group is calling for the comedian to either delete the chapter that targets autism or donate a portion of the proceeds from the book. To counter claims by Leary that his comments have been taken out of context, and to assure that he does not profit from the controversy, the group has put the offending chapter online for free on websites across the nation.

"As a parent of a child with autism, I feel he owes the autism community the money he is making for using what has quickly become an epidemic in our country as a cheap ploy to sell his book," said Ramirez. "He should donate a portion of his sales to assist children with autism."

"As a fellow comedian I respect Denis' right to free speech and expression, but this chapter in his book, and his statements thereafter, seriously put his integrity in question," said Ramirez.

Do you accept Leary's apology?

next: Moms, Quit Dressing Up at School!
roland October 31, 2008, 5:39 PM

‘Scuse me, but Autism United is not “the autism community.” It’s a band of organizations that mostly share a similarly narrow view of what causes autism and how it should be treated. There are plenty of parents and others who don’t subscribe to those views. Although in this particular case i happen to agree with their position, please don’t presume to assert that Autism United speaks for all of us.

PhilCommander October 31, 2008, 8:35 PM

Watch this video…Autism, The Face Of Recovery.
Thanks!

larry cunningham November 2, 2008, 7:26 PM

I have a son that has autism, it was the MMR shot that started this whole disorder. Now, I am not good with the big words or doing things in a calm manner so my comment is this: If Mr Leary can run his mouth about my son and and the problems that effect everything from his speech to never being able to function like a regular kid, I would love for that “stupid” “lazy” prick to fly his sorry a** to West Virginia and meet me face to face like a real man. I would tell him what I think of him and then beat that stupid son of a b**ch within an inch of his life. So there you go Mr. Leary you can kiss my a** and die before I would ever accept your pr guys appology because everybody knows that prick wouldn’t have said it, he just wants to sale books. just larry cunningham

Jami November 6, 2008, 11:03 AM

Larry Cunningham I understand your anger. My cousin also has autism and yes it was the MMR shot that was the biggest factor. If the experts are so concerned why have they not tried to improve the MMR shot so that it is not so risky. About Leary there are no words that express my anger.

lisa January 10, 2009, 7:02 PM

dennis has quite the attitude; but theres still something likeable about him. sometiimes he runs his mouth a bit too much i think.

lisa January 10, 2009, 7:32 PM