Body Language Expert: McCain the Most 'Presidential'

Who won the town hall debate? A body language expert says McCain and Obama were both good, but McCain had a definite edge. Find out why.

83169390.jpg
Body language expert Dr. Lillian Glass believes actions speak louder than words. So she watched the candidate's gestures and mannerisms during the presidential debate and gave us her expert analysis:

• When John McCain raises his eyebrows and opens his eyes up wide, it shows a sincerity and an openness that is very confident.

• Obama really looked at McCain when he spoke, and smiled even when being criticized, which showed he is very respectful.

• When McCain put his hand on the Petty Officer and patted him, he was so genuine and passionate. You finally saw a side of him that was lovable and warm.

• When Obama spoke about his mother, his hand opened up and he was talking right to you. He really connected with the audience. You felt his emotion, and it choked people up.

• McCain gestures with such difficulty, it brings you back to the fact that those arms were crushed in war, and how much he suffered for our country.

"Information-wise, they both really won the debate -- it was a virtual tie," says Dr. Glass. "But in terms of body language and communication style, McCain won hands down. He was fluid, engaging, and presidential."

Do you agree? Take our poll, then comment below.

Related Galleries

next: Report: Jamie Lynn Pregnant ... AGAIN!
time4change October 8, 2008, 2:15 AM

McCain clearly did not have the most presidential body language. He did not carry himself well and looked sickly most of the debate. He made several inappropriate gestures when Obama was talking that were intended as a ridicule. You can see this happening in the background if you were watching closely.

Obama spoke with confidence to the people and showed a great deal of respect even when being insulted by McCain.

I would totally have to disagree with the above posted article. I went into this election supporting McCain but have totally lost respect for his campaign. The last two debates have been an insult to the American people. Important issues have been avoided and have no clear plan. We need someone that will work with the American people to meet our needs as a society. I do not feel that McCain has the ability to understand the issues of the middle class and lower class. He only sees the upper crust of society. With the economy the way it is, we can not afford more of the same.

Prantha Trivedi October 8, 2008, 2:15 AM

I do not agree. Obama clearly won. He was confident and self-assured. McCain was angry and his resentment of Obama clearly showed.

Andy October 8, 2008, 2:23 AM

Were you watching the same debate, or Bud Bowl III?

jon October 8, 2008, 4:50 AM

I do agree with the above article. Obama is a great speaker, even a better speaker (HARVARD). But McCain seems to do a bit better when dealing with people face to face. Oboma is better fit for the pedestal.

I want to vote for Obama because of how influential of a speaker he his and how the world sees him. But I wouldn’t even know what I was voting for. Do any of you even know HOW Obama is going to follow through with his plans? Of course not, he never gives ACCURATE information for any of his plans. At least we have one canidate who actually tells us what and how he’s going to do things. The Dems are all letting the good looking, charismatic, and well educated man charm them out of a vote with out even telling them how he will accomplish his plans. If he’s gonna get all this money from taxing the upper class, drop drop drop goes the stock market. We really don’t need to raise taxes on anyone in order for our economy to prosper. JUST PLEASE STOP SPENDING! AND STOP PURCHASING FOREIGN OIL! THE MORE OF OUR ENERGY WE BUY THE BETTER OUR ECONOMY.

Tony  October 8, 2008, 5:05 AM

Disagree, McCain’s body language suggested that he was very nervous, he was not relaxed, poised,confident. Obama was very much at ease with the audience, he didn’t pace and looked directly at the audience. No comparison on content, Obama had it cold, hands down.

Lauri October 8, 2008, 8:10 AM

McCain is totally comfortable when speaking. He has the experience and know-how for the job. Barack is just too green to be President at such a vulnerable time. THIS IS NOT the time for Barack Obama. We’ve changed enough over the last couple of weeks. Let McCain go in and clean things up!
McCain/Palin 2008

sissy October 8, 2008, 8:21 AM

McCain won hands down. He clearly showed his mastery of foreign affairs. McCain’s idea to stabilize housing prices is the single best solution to the slumping economy - ask any economist - McCain knows what he’s talking about and has a true understanding of the issues. Obama is just full of spin. American’s are generally gullible people -

An expert in lie detection (he analyzies speech patterns to determine how much a person is lying) was interviewed recently and he said that McCain is a lot more honest than Obama. And I agree - I’ve never trusted Obama - he’s a great speaker but he doesn’t bring anything concrete to that table.

Julio October 8, 2008, 8:27 AM

I’m Republican, I’m going to vote for McCain, but I’m not blind, Obama won clearly, if we are talking about body language what I saw last night was an aching McCain, slow, rigid, not pleasent to watch, on the other hand, Obama’s body language was more fluid, more energetic, more relaxed. To me Obama looked more presidential than McCain, I wish it was the other way around.

Julio October 8, 2008, 8:35 AM

People, I think a lot of you writing here are missing the point, this article is talking about body language, is not about what they say or didn’t say, so Sissy, I agree with you in what you are saying, but this is about body language, how people looked at them, and to me, Dr. Lillian Glass is totally wrong.

Cathy October 8, 2008, 9:01 AM

If I was watching without listening, I would say that Obama was confident and calm while McCain was trapped in a weary and uncomfortable body. I would like to see the two of them comfortably seated, face to face, talking back and forth until they were both hoarse. No unfair strain on an older person and no time limits. Otherwise, the “debates” are just talking points and reinforcers for people who have already decided how they will vote.

john October 8, 2008, 9:24 AM

McCain’s voice told the story for me. It was shaking with nervousness and stress at times when talking about certain issues. I was afraid for his health.
No way in the world did McCain win this debate.

Matt October 8, 2008, 9:49 AM

Obama not only won CLEARLY with body language, he had a great deal more information pertaining to how his policies would work, and why.

For all those that say, “Obama wants change, but won’t tell us WHAT change!” Well… you’re wrong! He laid it all out there last night! He explained what he was going to do, while McCain, much like Sarah Palin at her debate, regurgitated conservative talking points for every answer.

For those of you who truly believe Obama is not being honest or clear with the American people… take a listen to McCain last night, and ask yourself… Did McCain explain ANYTHING?! Nope… he’s a war hero… that’s apparently all he needs.

trainman October 8, 2008, 9:59 AM

Body Language??? McCain waddled all night long. What does waddling communicate???

bullwinkle October 8, 2008, 10:05 AM

Sarah Palin is a terrorist. For over 30 years, the Wasilla beauty queen runner up and vice presidential candidate has murdered and butchered my family and friends. Stop the terrorist Palin!

Natalie October 8, 2008, 10:16 AM

McCain did not win. This must be the same person who wrote the article about Palin’s body language in her last debate. Obviously the person is biased, and a republican. McCain walked like he had a metal T in his back and shoulders, gestured roughly, and blinked constantly. Obama, however, gestured openly, easily, spoke with confidence, and is completely honest.

Tim October 8, 2008, 10:39 AM

After carefully watching the debates up to now, I have absolutely no idea how any educated person (past 8th grade at least) could vote McCain/Palin.

Tanya October 8, 2008, 10:55 AM

McCain was a little obnoxious last night. Anyone who has a pair of eyes or ears could see and hear that Obama was definitely the most “presidential” in this debate last night. I’m a proud supporter of Obama and was very happy with his work last night and wish he could have stuck it to McCain just a little more.

cara October 8, 2008, 11:15 AM

There will clearly be no swaying of the minds of those who are blindly following Barry and it screams tons how the Obamanuti’s love to put down those who oppose their leader with snide remarks such as attacking one’s intellect or my personal fav, calling them crazy. As for reading into body language, my personal favorite was when both candidates where at the graves of the unmarked soldiers, youtube it if you can, and watch the difference in both men’s actions.

For me, McCain has always come across as the most honest of a person, whereas Obama seems phoney, a “scott peterson” persona…(remember how all of his wife’s friends thought he was so “perfect”!) Usually those are the most deceitful and dangerous. BUT most people are liars so how, if they themselves are dishonest, could they possibly even remotely give a unbiased opinion especially on body language when they don’t even know themselves. Um, they can’t.

Barry’s going to win and Lord knows, all of you Obamanuti’s are goig to have to learn the hard way.

(anyone else having trouble typing here? And for me, it’s just this site….maybe the site owners are trying to filter me…I have had many very valid anti-O points not posted.)

Rachael October 8, 2008, 11:20 AM

McCain obviously WON!!! You Obama supporters do the same tatics, after the debates you flood the internet saying Obama won and hyping him up. It won’t work, the American people saw the debate and saw that McCain has the wisdom, experience and knowledge to run a nation, Obama doesn’t know what he’s doing. He just speaks from what his advisers tell him, he has only been at this 3 years!!! That is less time than high school!!! Please!!!

shanna October 8, 2008, 12:53 PM

This expert is full of BS!
There is no way McCain’s body launguage cinched him as the most presidential.
She is clearly a Republican!
Obama was the winner by a long shot.