Body Language Expert: Palin Won the Debate Hands Down

Find out why in a Momlogic exclusive interview.

sarah palin

Body language expert Dr. Lillian Glass analyzed last night's VP debate ... and says Sarah Palin was the clear winner.

Here's why, according to Dr. Glass:

• When Palin first got to the stage, she blew a kiss, which is typically unprofessional and certainly unpresidential. But at the same time, it's endearing and refreshing. It's something we haven't seen before.

• She looked right into the camera, really connecting with her audience. Biden kept looking away, and referring to the host, which was disconnecting.

• Palin's folksy, and she knows it works ... so she's really playing it, milking it. It makes her likable to many people.

• The only time Palin faltered is when she was talking about Israel, a heavy issue. But she got right back on her feet.

• Palin's smile and winks are coquettish and charming. People respond to them because it's refreshing. We've seen the smug curmudgeonly faces for so long, it's a nice change.

Do you agree?

Related Galleries

next: Calling All Elephants and Donkeys
foxymama October 3, 2008, 5:12 PM

I don’t think Lillian here is an expert at body language.

S. Davis October 3, 2008, 5:19 PM

I would have to agree foxymama! Palin clearly appeared out of place and nervously jestered to the audience. An obvious fallacy on her part, she’s out of her league.

LA girl October 3, 2008, 5:48 PM

Her folksy non educated answers were ridiculous.

april October 3, 2008, 5:56 PM

Lillian Glass, I totally agree with you. Sarah Palin is a breath of fresh air.
Love her.

lucy October 3, 2008, 5:59 PM

Palin had ZERO substance. Who does this folksy stuff work on? I don’t know a single person that finds that appealing.

cpm October 3, 2008, 6:06 PM

I don’t need folksy in the White House. I need smart, knowledgeable, mature. I feel that she is always on the defense. If she feels attacked now and has to wink her way out of uncomfortable situations, what the heck is she going to do in office? And didn’t anyone else hear the quivering in her voice? It sounded as if she were on the verge of hysteria at times!

Kathy October 3, 2008, 6:25 PM

Fresh, yes. Won? No way. I can see why women say they ‘Love her” I can’t for one minute understand why ANYONE could fall for the PR stunt that the Republicans pulled and think she’s in any way good for the country.

Marquita October 3, 2008, 6:32 PM

What is this a debate or a beauty pageant, come on Biden won the debate.

Dr.P. October 3, 2008, 6:33 PM

Is this a joke? Dr. Glass may be an “expert,” but it’s not on body language. Give me a break!

Palin was ridiculous. I want the vp of my PTA to be “folksy,” not the VP of the U.S.
Get another “expert” next time!

norma October 3, 2008, 6:55 PM

To me, Palin was laughable, contrived, obvious, coached…and very high school.

Helene October 3, 2008, 7:32 PM

I couldn’t stomach the “you betcha’” and “darn right”s or the “up there” (in Alaska) - how “up there” is Alaska from the rest of the US?

Her eye contact and ability to refrain from stuttering or stumbling when she didn’t know “the answer” were impressive. I sure wouldn’t want to be in her RED shoes!!! (Not sure the VP debates is the place for such a fashion statement!)

mary October 3, 2008, 7:35 PM

Are there that many gullible people in the world? Can’t you recognize a performance when you see one? I’m amazed by the number of people who felt a “connection” with Palin. If you want to have a connection, please get a dog. It least you’ll know it’s sincere and hasn’t received countless hours of debate coaching.

No under con artists thrive in this country.

And that isn’t to say that she doesn’t have any experience - she just has too little of it.

Vicki Chrzanowski October 3, 2008, 7:48 PM

Palin is a very good talker, so is a Con Man.

nyc mom October 3, 2008, 8:40 PM

hahahaha
all you that hate Palin for her charisma…what do you think Obama is all about. He is all show and no substance and YOU fell for that!!

mary October 3, 2008, 8:46 PM

I think she did very well. I am feeling more comfortable with a McCain Palin vote right now than the Obama Biden vote, because for one, I appreciate that she is going to have a clear cut role to work on energy and education. Biden, to me, seems like a guy who really wants to be president, and even in the debate last night, he referred to how he was going to be ‘right there’ with Obama for every decision, giving his advice. Well, on the surface that sounds nice, but when you stop to think about it, doesn’t it seem like that means we’re really going to have President Obiden, instead of President Obama? That just makes me uneasy to think of the two of them trying to be President ‘together’. I honestly feel that Sarah Palin can have a productive role as a VP, even if foreign policy, etc. are not her strengths… if she is put to good work in energy and education issues, then I feel comfortable with that.

I also felt as though the whole thing about Obama promising a month/year of when we will be done with Iraq really smacks of “more of the same” because how many times during the Bush administration have we been led on about a potential withdrawal from Iraq… America is frustrated and Barack’s plan is only going to leave more American’s disappointed, and potentially put the soldiers in an even more difficult position, to make his promise come true. I am leaning towards McCain at this point, although I do think that if elected, Obama will be ‘fine’. I don’t think things in this country will get worse with either McCain or Obama. It’s really ABB at this point…anybody but Bush.

Anonymous October 3, 2008, 9:06 PM

Palin did better than expected because not much was expected. She did not instill confidence that she is capable of doing what is being proposed of her.

mary October 3, 2008, 9:29 PM

Actually, I disagree. She came across as the Sarah Palin we saw at the convention—it had nothing to do with low expectations. The expectations were that she should come out as herself, which she did… the expectations were high, and she met them.

CallingFoul October 3, 2008, 9:33 PM

The suggestion that this article is from a body language expert is insulting to our intelligence.

Lori M October 3, 2008, 11:06 PM

I agree with the Doctor! She did connect with her audience and that really ticks off Barack Obama’s fan club! I love it! She looked right in the camera and spoke to the people not to Gwen or whoever else Biden was speaking to. I find it ridiculous how people are so judgmental of Governor Palin. Would it kill Democrats to say one nice thing about her? Why do liberals have to be so hateful? Are they threatened by her presence? She is a strong woman and anyone who can stand up and debate Biden without fault is a winner in my book. Biden came out the liar in this debate and only a deaf, dumb, and blind person could say different. It is easy to sit and judge Governor Palin from your couch but try debating her and see how well YOU do… HA! So many people think they are such experts…it’s laughable and totally ridiculous!

Kelly October 3, 2008, 11:27 PM

Sarah Palin is magnificently charming and charismatic. She is by far the best woman speaker I have seen. She made me feel like she was actually speaking to me. I heard her sincerity in her voice and I trusted what she had to say. She wants to help me and my family. Unlike other politicians who are self serving, she gets the fact that her job is to serve the people. So does John McCain. They will make a great team and I look forward to seeing them work together for the betterment of our country. They have a dream that they share together to make our government less about power and more about serving the people. That is ultimately what we hire our government to do. Unfortunetly, greed and power seem to take over some of those hired and government then leaves us powerless.