Lab Tests Find Evidence in Casey's Trunk

DNA found in Casey Anthony's trunk reveals evidence of human decomposition.

This morning's "Today" show discussed the latest news in the case of Casey Anthony, the young Florida mother who is accused of killing her three-year-old daughter Caylee who went missing in mid-July.

Police believe Caylee is dead, and tomorrow Casey will be arraigned on murder charges. Recent FBI lab tests have revealed a single hair found in Casey's trunk, which shows characteristics of decomposition.

But there's one glitch - the DNA in the trunk could either belong to Caylee or Casey, so neither mother nor daughter can be excluded from the source.

According to Casey's lawyer, that's not enough evidence to convict Casey.

Watch the video:

next: Obama Returns to the Campaign Trail
John Lloyd Scharf October 27, 2008, 1:29 PM

I am certain this is a mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) test they ran.

Except for mutations that happen about twice in every 33 generations, the mtDNA goes from one genaration to the next without change.

Therefore, the evidence could be the mother, the sister, their grandmother, the daughter or even a male of that mmaternal lineage for the last 400 years.

The only way to know the mother from the daughter is by X chromosome or autosomal DNA testing. I doubt they have even tried this.l

John Lloyd Scharf October 27, 2008, 1:31 PM

Why they even did this test is remarkable. They know it could match a maternal brother, sister, uncle, aunt, son, or daughter. It is very likely mtDNA they tested instead of autosomal or X chromome testing.

Jason October 27, 2008, 1:55 PM

I think it’s pretty obvious it is Caylee’s hair… if it shows signs of decomposition, then it can’t be Casey because we all know she is alive and well… as is the rest of her family that may have similar DNA profiles.

marylee October 27, 2008, 2:07 PM

i think she is definately guilty and i think it was premeditated. they say that the form of death penalty there is lethal injection, maybe they should give her a dose of her own medicine and kill her like she did her daughter inject her with some chloroform.

Shazaam Ashley October 27, 2008, 3:09 PM

The hair found and tested had a black decomposition band on it. Live people do not have decomposition bands on their hair.
Sorry, Casey. You are not the “donor”

millee October 27, 2008, 6:00 PM

Won’t hair start decomposing on its own once it’s disconnected from a person’s head? Because the hair shows signs of decomposition… I don’t think that proves that the owner of that hair is dead. So, yes I think the hair could belong to either Caylee or Casey or a bunch of random other people. The prosecution is skating on this ice with this evidence. I think they are counting on public opinion to doctor the jury for them.

sailorgirl October 27, 2008, 7:22 PM

black decomposition bands ONLY show up on hair that was at one time attached to the scalp of a deceased person. the hair itself does not show signs of decomposition.

millee October 27, 2008, 7:38 PM

I know that people have said that there were “black decomposition bands.” But, I haven’t seen anything mentioning that in the actual police reports. They only mention “signs of decomposition.” And, contrary to popular belief, hair does decompose. The root bed dehydrates and the length of the hair and circumference of the hair will shrink as a result. If decomposition bands were found, that’s one thing. I just have not heard that from a police report or other reliable source. Maybe I missed it, who knows?

Anonymous October 27, 2008, 7:40 PM

millee October 27, 2008, 7:45 PM

I apologize for the double post.
I accidentally hit reload while the post page was up. :)

William Rock Honey October 28, 2008, 12:38 PM

“THIS MESSAGE MIGHT HAVE SAVED THE ANTHONY FAMILY ??

We all need to realize what can happen to us. I have written 31 writings with writing formula’s as a teaching tool for the Church to change and save lives.

We have solved three huge bible mysteries and are looking for a person that
might like to know about these mysteries. Please contact us below.

We hope that Caylee Marie will come home alive and well to the many people who have
come to love her.

The Mighty God Worldwide Church & William Rock Honey’s

The Pure and Clean Heart Sculptor ©

You could read this entire writing every day to keep it fresh in your memory!

One Clean Your Heart - I am a Wonderful Miracle * Motivated to Totally Clean up *
My Entire Heart * Mind * Spirit * Soul and My Spoken Words * Bad thoughts could lead me
to danger and unsolvable problems * I am Only Thinking Pure and Clean Thoughts

Two Direction - I am a Wonderful Miracle * Motivated to read these directions * It is best
Not to have attractive people up in front of my mate * or speak of any of those people
To keep my mate happy * I could obey all laws and never do anything immoral or illegal
And be cautious about letting unknown people into my home or auto * or too close to me

Three Determined - I am a Wonderful Miracle * Motivated to be
Enthusiastic * Determined and Strong and bring honor to myself and my parents *
Many things I could conceive and believe I could achieve * I could do it now

Four Receive - I am a Wonderful Miracle * Motivated to have the Best Habits *
Daily routine * Integrity * Morals and Character * I could search from all angles *
Arrange everything and ask this way * Is This Okay * then I could receive *

Five Success - I am a Wonderful Miracle * Motivated to be Persistent * Courageous
And Responsible and build my Ability and my Priceless Good Name * The formula for Success is *
A Good Name * Responsibility * Education * Ability and Self Determination *
I could keep after and seek victory in all that I do * and victory could be mine *

Six Forgiving - I am a Wonderful Miracle * Motivated to never curse or curse any person *
It is best not to do Any Arguments * Anger or Vengeance * or use another persons name *
A Silent Mouth Gathers No Trouble * I could forgive myself now and start over *

Seven Freedom - I am a Wonderful Miracle * Motivated to never do any Mental Abuse *
Physical harm or Murder to any person * or beat my children to keep my freedom *

Eight Saved - I am a Wonderful Miracle * Motivated to never flirt * chase or be sexual *
With a Married or Taken Person * or cheat on My Mate * Trusting only the people
I have checked out * It is best to only associate with good people * If it looks to good to be true *
It Might not be true * I could tend my own business * I could be saved applying all this

Nine Respect - I am a Wonderful Miracle * Motivated to never steal or tell any lies
* or lies on any person or desire another’s Valuables or Mate * Respect is value *
What I value and respect I could keep * what I don’t value I could lose * my last words could be *
I am glad I valued and spent more time with people who * are important to me

Ten is Pure Clean Heart - I am a Priceless and Intelligent Spiritual Messenger *
Caring enough to send a donation to cover the cost getting this writing out * to Totally Clean Up
The Hearts * Minds * Spirits * Souls and Thoughts of millions of people around The World *
My Heart is now Pure and Clean and I am Now Reborn * A Brand New Person *

William Rock Honey is The Prince of Sculptors - He donated all this
About William Rock Honey – Many inventions in science since 1992 * Worldwide Teacher
Please Help us cover cost to get this writing out * to Help The Children and Adults on the street * Please Send donations * to this address * The Mighty God Worldwide Church * Mailbox 71707 * 37407 * USA * E-Mail-THEMIGHTYGOD101@YAHOO.COM F2006-H © Copyright 2006 All rights Reserved

Morela September 5, 2009, 12:55 AM

Give please. A joke’s a very serious thing.
I am from France and now study English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “mk consultent online share trading.”

Thanks for the help ;), Morela.

Tuan September 9, 2009, 10:33 AM

Excuse me. There is an evil tendency underlying all our technology - the tendency to do what is reasonable even when it isn’t any good.
I am from Cyprus and now teach English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “After the sporting, seller talents traced up and women commented naturally to authoritative rose.”

Waiting for a reply :o, Tuan.

stop and download movies here September 11, 2010, 7:29 PM

Good blog with some intriguing information. I am going to be back.

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 4:45 PM

I appreciate this web site and will be coming back once again.

Merchant December 22, 2010, 9:51 PM

i concur… 100% thks

Sid Sanchirico January 23, 2011, 11:46 AM

you killed it with this post