Casey Anthony Searched for Chloroform Recipes

New reports show the mother of missing toddler Caylee Anthony researched how to create her own deadly concoction.

We already knew there were high levels of chloroform in the trunk of Casey Anthony's car where investigators say Caylee's body had been, along with a mysterious stain in the trunk and Caylee's hairs and dirt. We also knew someone using Casey Anthony's computer had been researching for where to buy chloroform.

But now we learn searches for "chloroform recipes" were also found on Casey's computer. According to a guest on "Nancy Grace," creating chloroform is not only cheap, it's easy to make with a simple trip to CVS or Walmart.

A Google search of "how do you make chloroform" yields more than one million websites listed with instructions. On one site, there was an explicit warning about chloroform's dangers, calling the chemical extremely dangerous and unpredictable and a warning to keep kids away from chloroform.

To make chloroform, all you need is bleach, ice, and acetone (a similar ingredient is found in nail polish remover).

Moms of young kids often search for recipes online ... but not like this. Why do you think Casey Anthony wanted to make her own chloroform? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: Criminal Parents Publicly Humiliated
Miracle2 October 23, 2008, 11:24 AM

I think KC was looking for a less bloody way to get rid of Caylee. Shall we ask Cindy if this still qualifies KC for the Mother of the Year award???

marylee October 23, 2008, 11:29 AM

hmmmm let me guess um maybe so she wouldn’t have to purchase it, as that would leave more of a trail to investigate such as reciepts etc. but there should be reciepts to prove that she bought the “ingredients” which would be incriminating evidence against her. she murdered that poor little girl and i wish she would get the death penalty which would be lethal injection, wouldn’t it be ironic if she got injected with chloroform herself, a taste of her own medicine……

Anonymous October 23, 2008, 11:30 AM

I think she intended to drug her and go out..not necessarily to kill her. But, this is horrible and I can’t believe any mother would do this. Why didn’t she just sign her over to the grandparents? That poor baby girl!

Belle October 23, 2008, 11:41 AM

I agree with anonymous, that I think Casey researched Chloroform as a way to knock Caylee out so she could go out and party. I suspect that she left Casey sleeping in her car at night while she was doing it, too. Perhaps the child died during one of these incidences. It is only speculation, but considering the depravity of this young lady, it is very likely that she could have done this. She seemed spoiled and narcissistic, which makes it all possible.
In regards to some Chat post with myitaliano, it is very clear that Casey was frustrated with her situation. She was frustrated not being able to go out and party when she wanted, of not being able to go see her boyfriend, who was clearly seeing Caylee as an incumberance, and Casey was just fed up in general on having to depend on other people. Did she murder her child? Well, she certainly had the means and the motive. Narcisstic, spoiled brat, sociopaths don’t care about anything if it stands in the way of them getting what they want and think they deserve. Have fun in jail Casey. The only one deserves anything now, is Caylee, and that includes a proper funeral, since it is fairly clear she is no longer alive.

belle October 23, 2008, 11:47 AM

Oh, and my opinion on the reference to Zani in the above mentioned post, I wonder if she was using Zanax to knock her kid out prior to the (possible) use of Chloroform. Casey states that she was tired of waiting on her Mom and tired of waiting on Zani. Maybe she had run out of pills and was trying to find an untraceable way to get more pills! Nothing would surprise me from this sociopath.

beth October 23, 2008, 11:54 AM

when it comes to the grandparents..i think they have their heads in the sand. i feel so sorry for them when we all find out casey was responsible for this whole mess.YES..their daughter is a murderer….the worst kind.the murder of a little child. her mental exam report was right on the money.she is unable to feel any sorrow except maybe for herself because she got caught. absolutely no sorrow for her daughter Caylee.She never deserved Caylee in the first place.what a sad situation and what a sad family…..beth in florida

Sally October 23, 2008, 11:54 AM

I doubt if Casey will ever tell the truth about what happened to Caylee. All we can go by is the evidence.

The air tests show the air in Casey’s car trunk was saturated with chloroform and that a decomposing body was in the trunk. Caylee’s hair found in the trunk had a dark ring proving that she is dead. Cadaver dogs hit on a smell of a dead body in the car trunk and in the back yard of the Anthonys.

Casey, Cindy, George, Lee, the tow trunk driver and a homicide detective all said the car smelled like death.

The prosecution will no doubt use all of this evidence, plus Casey’s computer search on how to make chloroform and of missing children’s sites as proof of pre-meditation of first degree murder.

Anonymous October 23, 2008, 12:08 PM

I don’t think there are enough details to really speculate. Do we know when she searched the internet for chloroform?

If it were before Caylee allegedly died then I think she was looking for a way to get the baby to sleep soundly while she partied. Maybe she ran out of ‘Zani’ (xanax) and needed an alternative.

Or, even though, I hate to think it and prefer to reserve some faith in humanity(not Casey herself but in humanity) that mothers do not plot to murder their children, it is possible Miracle2 is right she wanted a ‘non-bloody’ way to get rid of her child.

If the searches were conducted after Caylee died, as I have read elsewhere, she could have been looking for chloroform to clean up the mess and cover her tracks. I guess chloroform can be used to remove dna evidence.

In my opinion any of these options still spell atrocity and tragedy.

pamela October 23, 2008, 12:10 PM

She wasn’t searching for chloroform as a way to just knock the baby out, she was searching of a way to murder her without bloodshed, otherwise she would not have also been searching “missing children” sites. She was looking for a way to kill her and also for an excuse after she did as to why she was missing.

D Jones October 23, 2008, 12:13 PM

I read a lot of blogs on this case, and every time I see the ‘accident’ theory come up, I jump in. When you research missing kids websites before yours goes missing, when you are looking up how to make toxic and illegal chemicals when other means of knocking that child out are available, then the accident scenario is just not too likely.

Sally October 23, 2008, 12:16 PM

Anonymous, of course the searches were done before Caylee died. That’s why the state will use it as pre-meditation. She wouldn’t take time to research on how to make chloroform to clean up the car. This was pure chloroform they found in the car trunk, the kind that knocks someone out, not the kind they use in cleaners.

sherry  October 23, 2008, 12:18 PM

My theroy on this subject is if she purchased Chloform on line , Where could she have had it shipped? That could raise some guestions.This way a recipe she could buy the ingrediants from the places she shopped .THEN ONE WOULD KNOW.

Tracey October 23, 2008, 12:20 PM

I totally agree, D Jones. This was NO accident. This woman (and I use the term loosely) disgusts me.

Anonymous October 23, 2008, 12:20 PM

Innocent question further to my anonmous post above, but has the date of those internet searches been released? because both the missing child and chloroform searches could be explained by an accidental death that she needed to cover up. Of course this only makes sense if the searches occurred after Caylee went missing.

Anonymous October 23, 2008, 12:22 PM

Sally, I had not read anywhere that those searches occurred prior to June 16. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sally October 23, 2008, 12:32 PM

D. Jones, I am with you. How could anyone say it was an accident after looking at Casey’s behavior? Every time anyone says it is an accident, Nancy Grace asks them: “If I find you lying at the foot of the stairs unconscious, do you want me to call 911 or bury you in the backyard or throw you in a dumpster?”

Casey is a sociopath. She will do what is best for her. What is best for Casey if her child died in an accident? Call 911 and have proof Caylee died in an accident or to get rid of the body so there is no proof?

The investigators gave her plenty of opportunity to say it was an accident and then it would have been all over. Instead, she lied and refused to cooperate.

What is best for Casey? To sit in jail and face the death penalty when all she has to do is say Caylee died in an accident, tell them where the body is and they can prove it wasn’t murder.

Instead, Casey is sitting in jail and facing the death penalty because she is counting on them not finding the body and finding out she murdered her child. That tells me it was no accident.

Anonymous October 23, 2008, 12:32 PM

She probably didn’t have the money to buy chloroform so she had to make it.

Joyce October 23, 2008, 12:37 PM

I pray they find caylee.

D Jones October 23, 2008, 12:41 PM

If you’re a parent, you KNOW Casey is guilty; the behavior says it all.

RealMomsHaveCurves  October 23, 2008, 12:50 PM

It’s obvious she’s guilty. They found DNA in the trunk (and what other reason would ANYONE be looking for chloroform recipes?) I don’t care if they’re saying the evidence is circumstantial. I hope she goes straight to jail.