Your Man Would Rather Surf the 'Net Than Talk to You

New research says his laptop gives him bliss. Say what?

man with laptop computer

You come home and want to talk to your guy, but he's engrossed in Facebook, email, or fantasy sports -- and he barely looks up to say hello.

Sure, you feel slighted, but new research says you shouldn't take it personally. According to experts, while both men and women like to unwind and relax, they have very different ideas of what makes for happiness.

For women, bliss means spending time with her family, and for men, it's being parked in front of the computer.

Here are some interesting stats:

• Just over half of men say happiness means surfing the Internet, playing online games or poking around on Facebook, compared to only 39% of women.

• 55% of women say eating dinner and spending time together as a family makes them happiest, compared to 45% of men.

So how can you satisfy his need to zone out and still squeeze in QT? When you come home from work, just do your own thing (i.e.: take a bubble bath, call a friend, or play with the kids). When you give him space, he'll be itching for quality time.

next: Palin: A Pitbull in Tattooed Lip Liner
Hollie October 1, 2008, 5:40 PM

I love my husband…don’t get me wrong but these type of articles seem to cater more towards the men. Mainly on how we need to baby them in order to get things we want. Even if that thing is time to be together. I don’t think it’s too much to ask to be acknowledged when we come home.

Kira October 1, 2008, 6:08 PM

Im with Hollie on this.. its not the first article Ive seen on here that cater to men.

Matthew October 1, 2008, 7:52 PM

As a man, I wouldn’t mind more articles that talk about how much men as husbands and fathers contribute to a family. This is the second article that seems to denigrate men that I’ve seen recently (the fantasy sports article comes to mind) and I don’t appreciate the propagating of negative stereotypes regarding men.

Anonymous October 1, 2008, 9:32 PM

I agree with what the article says but there are limitations with everything. When you are sacrificing your needs more than he is his, something needs to change.. or in my case, when you are only getting maybe a 20 min “REAL” conversation in a day then something needs to change… it’s all about balance and what one is willing to sacrifice.

Scarlett October 2, 2008, 6:41 AM

Dear Anonymous,

You get 20 minuntes of “REAL” conversation each day?!?! Tips please??? ;)

Scarlett

Naomi October 2, 2008, 12:08 PM

honestly what it comes down to is self control. yes, my husband does this to wind down, and then he gets off and spends time with us. i understand because i am the same way. but we make sure things that need to be done are done and that our kids have quality time with us. for us, it’s like reading a book or watching a television program when you come home and your brain is tired.