Skipping Breakfast Makes You Fat

Are you or your kids skipping breakfast in an effort to lose weight? If you are, you should listen up!

11919432.jpg

In 12 out of 16 recently reviewed studies, breakfast skipping was actually associated with an increase in body mass index. Nutritionist and celebrity fitness expert JJ Virgin tells us why breakfast is the magic bullet to our day.

For one thing, eating a healthy breakfast can reduce hunger throughout the day, and help you to make wiser food choices at other meals. Plus, if you're routinely eating breakfast, you also have a greater likelihood of making other healthy lifestyle choices, like fitting in regular exercise. What's really important is that after a long period of fasting during the night, without breakfast, you increase stress hormones, burn off precious muscle and slow down your metabolism -- all of which may lead to the accumulation of body fat. Not good moms!

It matters what you eat, too. Most studies linking breakfast to weight control emphasize having a healthy breakfast containing lean protein, in addition to whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats. So, here are a few balanced meal ideas to ensure you are getting your day off to the right start.

1) Veggie omelet made with extra virgin olive oil and a piece of whole-wheat toast.
2) Smoothie made with ½ cup of fresh fruit, water, protein powder and a spoonful of natural nut butter.
3) Salmon on 1/2 whole-grain bagel spread with goat's milk cheese.
4) Oatmeal topped with ground flaxseed meal & raisins and a side of Canadian Bacon.
5) Greek yogurt topped with ½ cup of fresh fruit and chopped walnuts.

next: Ellen's Halloween Surprises
Jill October 30, 2008, 11:46 AM

Those breakfast suggestions sound great- except I usually don’t stock Greek yogurt, flaxseed meal or goat’s milk cheese handy in the cupboard.

Susan October 30, 2008, 5:03 PM

That is the point - you have to stock your cupboards and fridge with what is healthy for you to eat.

vanesa October 31, 2008, 7:45 AM

Yeah I wish I had the time to make a perfect breakfast like this! I have to get up @ 6:30 every morning just to make it to work on time! And that’s with dropping my son off @ my moms house. And you could never trust the stores to make it that way cuz they will say yes yes yes but you know they didn’t listen to a word you said :(

Paul R November 25, 2008, 9:41 PM

All these fancy schmancy suggestions. Yes, breakfast is an important meal but you don’t have to put together a veggie omelet with extra virgin olive oil or oatmeal topped with ground flaxseed meal or whatever. A small bowl of cornflakes with fresh fruit and skim milk will do the job very nicely, thank-you. Should hunger pangs hit before breakfast time, try quelling it with a banana or and apple. Keep it simple, and healthy.

The trick to successful dieting and healthy eating is to make things simpler, not more complicated.

MiMi December 4, 2008, 6:54 AM

You’re missing the point! Protein and healthy fats are essential for weight management (i.e. kick-starts metabolism) and growing kids,and a bowl of sugary cornflakes topped with sugary fruit and doused in hormone-laden liquid doesn’t get it done. The trick to long term weight control and successful dieting is choosing the right balance at every meal. The above examples are just that. Use your imagination and use these examples as guides, not commandments!

Kyleigh July 2, 2009, 12:11 AM

Give please. You’ve achieved success in your field when you don’t know whether what you’re doing is work or play.
I am from Islands and learning to speak English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: “Boise, idthough he claims it to be worth at least twice as much, flea market vendor roger jenkins is willing to let an unidentifiable.”

Waiting for a reply ;), Kyleigh.

Vashti September 9, 2009, 7:27 AM

Hey. There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers.
I am from Brazil and know bad English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “David lloyd’s set for jacket for vendetta in warrior only did in soft, making it a less-than-perfect half suit that cocked unsuccessfully back with the few effeminate gender.”

;-) Thanks in advance. Vashti.

cheapviagra3602 August 30, 2010, 8:40 AM
Joe Jencks October 19, 2010, 4:38 PM

Just proves the old adage. It’s an ill wind that blows no good. - Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window. Attributed to Steve Wozniak

Jack Jellerson October 19, 2010, 5:17 PM

Just proves the old adage. It’s an ill wind that blows no good. - A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain. - Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

John Jerald October 19, 2010, 6:34 PM

Then again, the opposite could be true. - I took a test in Existentialism. I left all the answers blank and got 100. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Jeremy Jinwright October 19, 2010, 7:14 PM

I was studying something else about this on another blog. Interesting. Your perspective on it is novel. - Adam and Eve had many advantages, but the principal one was that they escaped teething. - Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Jeremy Jacobs October 19, 2010, 7:52 PM

It only goes to show where there’s will there’s a way. Keep on trying. - Here comes the orator with his flood of words and his drop of reason. - Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790

Jeffrey Janosko October 19, 2010, 8:29 PM

Hey, nice blog with good info. I really like coming back here often. There?s only one thing that annoys me and that is the misfunctioning of comment posting. I usually get to 500 error page, and have to do the post twice. - Don’t improve it into a flop! - Samuel Goldwyn 1882 - 1974

Joseph Joplin October 19, 2010, 9:06 PM

Just read it and went gosh, I know why I was poor in the debate class. - If my films don’t show a profit, I know I’m doing something right. - Woody Allen Born 1935

John Jedlicka October 19, 2010, 10:19 PM

I was studying something else about this on another blog. Interesting. Your perspective on it is novel. - He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals. - Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790

Juan Jeremiah October 19, 2010, 11:32 PM

Strange this post is totaly irrelevant to the search query I entered in google but it was listed on the first page. - If a computer cable has one end, then it has another. Attributed to Lyall’s Conjecture

Juan Joslin October 20, 2010, 12:08 AM

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying here but it could do with more detail. - Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog. Attributed to Doug Larson

Jerry Jarencio October 20, 2010, 1:21 AM

Jose Jersey October 20, 2010, 1:59 AM

Just read it and went gosh, I know why I was poor in the debate class. - Give me a couple of years, and I’ll make that actress an overnight success. - Samuel Goldwyn 1882 - 1974