Are you or your kids skipping breakfast in an effort to lose weight? If you are, you should listen up!
In 12 out of 16 recently reviewed studies, breakfast skipping was actually associated with an increase in body mass index. Nutritionist and celebrity fitness expert JJ Virgin tells us why breakfast is the magic bullet to our day.
For one thing, eating a healthy breakfast can reduce hunger throughout the day, and help you to make wiser food choices at other meals. Plus, if you're routinely eating breakfast, you also have a greater likelihood of making other healthy lifestyle choices, like fitting in regular exercise. What's really important is that after a long period of fasting during the night, without breakfast, you increase stress hormones, burn off precious muscle and slow down your metabolism -- all of which may lead to the accumulation of body fat. Not good moms!
It matters what you eat, too. Most studies linking breakfast to weight control emphasize having a healthy breakfast containing lean protein, in addition to whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats. So, here are a few balanced meal ideas to ensure you are getting your day off to the right start.
1) Veggie omelet made with extra virgin olive oil and a piece of whole-wheat toast.
2) Smoothie made with ½ cup of fresh fruit, water, protein powder and a spoonful of natural nut butter.
3) Salmon on 1/2 whole-grain bagel spread with goat's milk cheese.
4) Oatmeal topped with ground flaxseed meal & raisins and a side of Canadian Bacon.
5) Greek yogurt topped with ½ cup of fresh fruit and chopped walnuts.