Search for Caylee May Halt Due to Money Woes

A tough economy forces one nonprofit group to call off its search for the missing three-year-old.

Caylee Anthony

Equusearch, a nonprofit organization helping to search Orlando for missing toddler Caylee Anthony may need to end its efforts because of the tough economy.

"We gotta think about what's good for Equusearch in these tough economic times, because people who donate money may not donate again if all our money goes to one person when there are more [missing persons] out there," Tim Miller, the founder of the nonprofit.

The company has already spent $44,000 on the search for Caylee, who disappeared in June, and they've only recouped only $12,000 of their costs from public and private donations.

Authorities believe the girl's mother, Casey Anthony, had something to do with her daughter's disappearance. Caylee was last seen in mid-June, just two months before her third birthday. Police believe Caylee is dead, and say they have evidence that a decomposing body was in the trunk of Casey Anthony's car.

Miller says he'll have his final decision on Monday.

next: Health Officials Ban Fish Pedicures
Tina October 13, 2008, 4:31 PM

It is very sad to know that there is a dead toddler out there somewhere and the mother of this precious child refuses to tell where her child can be found. It has taken up time and resources of many concerned people around the world and now Equusearch has no money to continue searching. I hope the courts find Casey Anthony quilty of all charges and will put her behind bars where she belongs. If by some miracle they find Caylee’s body I hope they give Casey death but then again if she is put in prison and is released to the general population there she may get just that “death” without the trouble or expense of lithal injection. There has been to much time, money and attention already given to a proven lier and complete waste of skin (CASEY ANTHONY). This is one definetly messed up individual that shows no concern for her precious daughter and wants out of any accountability when it comes to what she has done to her daughter or any of her friends and family. Equusearch has done a wonderful job and should be commended and respected.

Adrian October 13, 2008, 5:31 PM

I agree that it is sad that our economy can halt the search for a precious toddler. I’m willing to pitch in $20. Maybe if enough of us can we can keep the search going. Cindy and George deserve closure, no matter what their daughter has done. They didn’t ask for this.

Dorothy October 13, 2008, 7:37 PM

This is for Tina…
Tina, I am sad to report this but the prisoners in a prison wouldn’t do anything to her(Casey). There are a lot of baby killers in the prisons around the country and most prisoners don’t even ask why someone is in prison. If they do know a person killed a child they really don’t give it much of a thought. It is a sad situation but it is true.
I have been in the South Dakota state prison for women for DWI’S and know women who have killed their children or other peoples children and the women in there don’t care. There are a lot of harded women in prisons.
Even the women who child molest do not get much of a thought. I find both very distubing myself, but if I were to say anything to any of the women I probally would have gotten a write up for causing problems! Can you believe that?!
The prison would have punished me for being judgmental.
It is a sad sad world Tina….. I too hope she is put in prison for life without parole or gets the death sentence. I believe the police are dragging their feet, but the day will come when she (Casey) gets her just reward… Prison. We just have to hope they find that beautiful Caylee and put her to rest in a grave under a pretty shade tree with beautiful flowers always around her!

Dori October 13, 2008, 10:45 PM

I hope they find Caylee.The truth will come out.The sad thing is it might not come out for five to ten more years.

Amanda October 14, 2008, 4:06 AM

I am disgusted a woman like this could even function as a parent for even this long. Casey caller her child names, refuses to give up her location, then in the face of acusation still sits tight lipped so she doesn’t have to face the consequences. She is going to pay one way or another. I have three kids and would never do that. Partying, men, all that…when you are a mom nothing comes before your kids. casey if you didn’t want your daughter you should have given her up for adoption. I feel Caylee is no longer with us. I feel Casey, that you did it. I hope you rot you worthless pile of ^%$#, and as for your own father ratting you out…just deserts!
~With the angels~

viv November 13, 2008, 9:29 AM

What a shame because her mom is getting donations sent to her jail so she can have goodies.