Exclusive! Carnie Wilson's Weight Loss Triumph

After hitting "rock-bottom" thanks to yo-yo dieting, Carnie Wilson recently slimmed down to 160 lbs. Read on for how she did it -- you can do it too!

carnie wilson

After highly-publicized (and shown on the Internet) gastric bypass surgery, Carnie Wilson hit rock bottom this year with her weight -- a bout of yo-yo dieting ended with her weighing in at 208 lbs. But after starting a diet and exercise program last spring, Carnie dropped 50 lbs! She is determined to keep the weight off -- even as she tries to have a second child with husband Rob Bonfiglio. They already have three-year-old daughter Lola.

Carnie spoke to momlogic about her transformation, relationships, her new attitude about food, relationships and her new found confidence.

Here in her own words, are Carnie's top tricks to losing weight.

ML: How did you stick to your diet, even when you felt like giving up?

CW: I started by doing vigorous workouts and gave up all flour, sugar, red meat and dairy. I kept telling myself I deserved this healthy mindset and body. When faced with food options, I often asked myself "What do I really want -- that slice of pizza, or to reach my goal of losing 50 lbs. and getting pregnant?"

•I must say, keeping a food journal really made me accountable and it was exciting and empowering to see my steady progress. Every morsel of food went down on paper.

•I never wanted to give up -- never. Of course, I had some challenging days, but they just made me realize how much more I wanted to succeed.

ML: What's your top trick for resisting cravings?

CW: I suggest preparing healthy snacks in the morning or afternoon and keep them ready for when those nighttime cravings hit. And mix it up -- one day have celery sticks with all-natural peanut butter (1 tablespoon at a time). The next day, have hot chicken broth sprinkled with sautéed mushrooms and onions (heated in the microwave and ready for sprinkling).

•Another great snack is scrambled egg whites. (I always use cooking spray or a teaspoon of olive oil). Season them with sea salt and onion powder -- it's so satisfying. Another idea is to eat six baby carrots dipped in 2-3 tablespoons of hummus. It's so fab! Just limit your carrot-intake to three times a week (they have a higher sugar level).

•My weakness is nighttime cravings. After putting Lola to bed, I always need a little something. Sometimes I eat 5 to 10 raw almonds sprinkled with cinnamon. And other nights I sip on a nice big mug of herbal tea. Most importantly, I stay out of the kitchen and get into bed with a magazine or book. When I want to go back in the kitchen, I literally say to myself, "No. You are not going to snack right now ... you're not really hungry ... it's just your brain talking, not your tummy."

•Another trick: People don't realize that when they feel hungry, sometimes they're just thirsty. When cravings hit, power down some water, wait five minutes and your craving will pass -- I promise.

ML: If you could offer one piece of advice to moms starting a diet, what would it be?

CW: My advice to moms starting a diet is: Don't start a diet. Diets don't work. Just make healthy choices for you and your family. Start by tracking what you eat by using a food journal every day for three days (but eat as you normally would), then carefully add up the calories. Liquids count! You'll see you may be eating a ton more then you think.

•Also, decrease your fat, carbs and sugar and increase your veggie intake. Make your protein portions much smaller (3-4 ounces per meal). Drink at least two liters of water per day and go walking with a friend three times a week for 20-40 minutes.

•Set a goal to lose 1-2 lbs a week -- it's totally do-able. Most importantly: Do not underestimate the power of your own mind and body. Good luck!

Tell us about your weight loss stories in the momlogic community.

Related Galleries
Dangerously ThinMoms Lose Pounds!Extreme Celeb Weight Change

next: Sarah Palin 2012
ED October 31, 2008, 2:34 PM

It is unbelievable to see such a tranformation, from where she came from to where she is now. For anyone else doing this journey. Please stay on top of your nutrition needs. www.bariatricadvantage.com check the site out it can really help.

Christy November 3, 2008, 10:50 AM

I too lost 150 lbs following basics like this. I didnt have the surgery although I tried, I just could not afford it.
I wished I could talk to other people about this type weight loss, because although I feel tons better, I had dramtic hair loss. I kepts it off 2 years now, and my hair is still thinning out.

Anonymous November 3, 2008, 8:37 PM

im sorry but theyre saying she weighed 208 in the first pic? nice try

Taylor November 8, 2008, 2:24 PM

I heard on TMZ that she lost the weight by doing the YRG Workout with former wrestler Diamond Dallas Page

GoogleBot November 11, 2008, 11:15 AM

DAESH ONOTOLE V PRAVITELI VSELENNOI!

YahooBot November 11, 2008, 5:41 PM

Nice site, thanks for information!

HairyMan November 11, 2008, 11:27 PM

Not bad… Not bad.

betty November 14, 2008, 12:18 PM

i hit 320 then got to 280 had a duodenal switch in 2002 i am now 137. with this procedure i can eat ANYTHING i want just need to limit sugar cuz it is absorbed in the mouth. my mom had it 14 yrs ago and maintains 160! no need to diet with this procedure and it is totally reversible unlike carnies! statas show people who have gastric bypass eventually get it back but the ds they dont!! good luck to you all i am soo happy!!!

LexieDi March 1, 2010, 10:42 PM

Why are we encouraging women to be thin? To hate their bodies if they happen to be fat? Why aren’t we advocating health? That’s what we should be doing.

I call BS, body hate on this!

Viesiagam September 1, 2010, 7:59 AM

Hi!
Has anyone any experience with bali plus
? I’m looking into it and I am confused so any help would be really appreciated!
Thanks!

irena October 4, 2010, 2:00 PM

Its almost unbelievable that someone can change so dramatically. Good luck, Irena from cheap hosting

Iphone Sex October 20, 2010, 2:11 PM

Hi I found your blog on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later

unlocked iphone sprint prepaid October 20, 2010, 9:02 PM

Wow We allow how to state this can also wonderful. Even writing that submit ought To have taken consumers a seriously extended time. numerous thanks being the exertion!

Tamie Corkill October 23, 2010, 5:16 AM

Hi, i am brian.Thank’s for sharing this post.This is ideal useful and informative material.great post and keep it build up.Blogs in most cases are always helpful one way like Gadgetrix.com . reason being to this site,Nikon is more best than Olympus as High Tech. tha tha

southwest ticker October 24, 2010, 8:50 AM

Hrmm that was weird, my comment got eaten. Anyway I wanted To say that it’s nice To know that someone else and so mentioned this as I had trouble finding the same info elsewhere. This was the first location that told me the answer. Thanks. sory my english bad i am an filipines

luxury tavel ticket October 27, 2010, 10:08 AM

I own, I need not been by this webpage on a lengthy time… however it was another ecstasy To spy it is such an important issue and ignored by so Countless, monotonous professionals. I credit you To usurp making people more aware as for viable issues.

middle back pain relief November 3, 2010, 1:22 AM

It is great that they finally realize this. But what can people do to get rid of the issues? The unfair practice has been so for a long time.

Plastic Surgery Safe November 12, 2010, 12:17 AM

What are you stating, man? I realize everyones got their own opinion, but really? Listen, your web log is cool. I like the efforts you put into it, especially with the vids and the pics. But, come on. Theres gotta be a better way to say this, a way that doesnt make it seem like everybody here is stupid!

Arica Bobbett November 12, 2010, 11:29 AM

I thought it i has going how to be some boring old post, but this truly compensated as my time. I will content a link how to this homepage going on my url. I am sure my visitors went find that in truth helpfulsory my english bad i am an indian

Outstanding article. There’s a lot as for effective information here, though I did want how to let you recognise something positive – I am running Ubuntu with the up-To-date beta as to Opera, and the design as for Ones New url is kind as to funky as me. I can understand the article, but the navigation doesn’t function so solid.