Final Debate: Actions Speak Louder Than Words

A body language expert analyzes John McCain and Barack Obama in the final presidential debate.

Presidential hopefuls John McCain and Barack Obama squared off in a final debate at Hofstra University in New York. Body language expert Dr. Lillian Glass analyzed the candidates' every move, and this is what she had to say:

McCain

• McCain came out stronger than we've ever seen him.
• The strongest thing he said was, "I'm not President Bush."
• He needed to look at the camera more, and really talk to the people.
• He often used an upward thumb gesture while he was talking, which showed confidence and a winning attitude.
• He was a bit mechanical, but that's likely due to his war injury.

Obama

• Obama looked in the camera much more than McCain did, and that was very powerful.
• He often used an open-handed gesture that shows his own openness, which was excellent.
• His laugh and smile sometimes turned into a smirk, which at times worked against him.
• He defended himself well against McCain.
• He looked very confident, and candidly answered questions and addressed the issues.

"The best part was at the end when they hugged," Dr. Glass says. "It seemed like they really liked each other and they both really respect each other, all politics aside."

But who won? "If you support McCain, you probably came out thinking he did wonderful," she says. "If you support Obama, you probably came out thinking he did wonderful. They both were excellent. I'd say it's a draw. But if you're undecided, you really have a lot to think about now."
What's your opinion?
Related Galleries

next: Sarah Palin = The Mom from "Bobby's World"?
Lori M October 16, 2008, 9:18 AM

We saw the John McCain that stands up for good last night. I thought it was remarkable how he paid attention to Obama’s words and called him out when he was not being truthful. Obama is very good at making you think you heard what he said…He made the comment that he would “look into” offshore drilling. To me, that means the same old lies the Democrats have been trying to feed us. They allow drilling FIFTY MILES out into the ocean. NOT POSSIBLE PEOPLE! Oil is plentiful all over the US and we need to drill now or we will continue to be dependent on Foreign Oil. Foreign countries will drive our economy into the ground for good with high oil prices. That is exactly what they want. They want control of America. Are we going to sit around and allow that to happen? I am voting for the man who is truthful not the man who speaks “eloquently” but doesn’t tell you the whole truth. I want John McCain to reform Washington and to drill for oil NOW!

bettyblue October 16, 2008, 9:34 AM

There is no excuse for Mr. McCain to attempt to defend the people at the McCain/Palin rally who were shouting suggestions re: death to Obama. I did not hear the original event and had only hoped that it was a bitter rumor. After hearing McCain defend it last night during the 3rd Debate, my ire rose. First, it’s nothing more than sociopathic behavior to make such a comment. If any of us, today, made such a comment about George W. or any other prominent person, we would be carted off to jail. Second, if the perpetrators were indeed veterans, as Mr. McCain suggested, then he should not be supporting them but referring them for counseling services through the VA. In any respect, it is unacceptable behavior and should never be condoned by someone who thinks he has the capacity to seek placement in our Nation’s highest office. He is obviously not qualified as he apparently lacks the general intelligence to truly understand complex issues. He just doesn’t get it.

cara October 16, 2008, 10:11 AM

I thouht Jhn McCain was fantastic last night. I agree with what Lori M said. However, I feel that we should also start looking into hemp farming. We could replace all we get from black oil with hemp.

Andi October 16, 2008, 10:53 AM

I enjoyed last night’s debate. I went to bed last night feeling that the vote I cast in a couple of weeks will be the right one. Barack Obama has addressed my concerns; and fact checkers have confirmed that his economic plan will provide greater relief to a greater number of the American population…not just a privileged few.

Research also shows that, while either candidate’s plan will create a greater deficit, Obama’s plan will be less costly (in the billions, while McCain’s plan with take our deficit into the trillions). When it comes to politics, we cannot just trust what politicians are telling us. They are, after all, politicians. We must do our research. Being informed makes all the difference in the world.

Lots of things have been said…a lot of those things have been researched and found to be taken out of context or just plain lies. Neither candidate is without sin in that regard. In my opinion, we should be judging these people based on the facts. I question the credibility of a man who continues to slander his opponent with false accusations even after they have been proven to be blatant lies.

I hope that in the end, people are honest with themselves and vote for the person who will look out for the middle class.

www.factcheck.org

Lisa October 16, 2008, 11:16 AM

What a piece of fluff! This “body language expert” said nothing about McCains excessive blinking and rolling the eyes?

I really appreciate Obamas serious attempt to keep this campaign about the issues. He had the chance to slam the not near qualified to be president Sarah Palin. He chose to rise above it. McCain of course slams Joe Biden because that is what his campaign runs on.

Lori M October 16, 2008, 11:40 AM

Andi I am sorry to say you are perfect for the Democratic party. You make a good puppet. Barack Obama will drive us into a recession with his economic plan. THAT’S A FACT. Look back in history at the economic plan during the great depression. It’s the same as Barack Obama’s. It won’t work!

Jean October 16, 2008, 1:51 PM

Well I enjoyed the Debate, an OBAMA win overwhelmingly and convincingly. Notice that you cannot get angry with people if you want to be President! You cannot wince evertime there is a problem!
You cannot think you know it all when you are unable to explain your own policies! John McCain is far from the 21st Century and needs to get to learn to use the computer-age to his benefit. He voted with Bush to prevent us from getting our hard earned benefits in Social Security at our rightful age. Why can’t McCain start his health program by redistributing his wife’s millions and begin to help the disadvantaged who have no health insurance ? Americans might then TRUST what he says he will do!
And by the way Remember that the 10 Trillion $ per month in Iraq will not be needed anymore - that’s money that belongs to us taxpayers- Puppets? No More! Change we Need will come from OBAMA!

Myra October 16, 2008, 1:57 PM

Oh my God Lori, can you let people have their own opinions without putting them down. What’s your problem?

Gem October 16, 2008, 2:03 PM

Lori I totally disagree with you. McCain? Our President? No. He has no respect for women what so ever and he only asked Palin to be VP because she was a woman. Which was an even more stupid idea on his part because she’s not ready. I hate to call a person stupid but she’s not as intellectually competent of being a successful VP.

I digress, McCain looked like a fish stuck up a pipe. He was flustered, and just talking trash about Obama. They need to stop trash talking and address the real issues.

Open your eyes, McCain is going to put America in a greater depression. And I secretly believe that he is a racist and I hope he is not. I’m not racist and I wasn’t raised that way. I don’t like people who are, Regardless of their race.

I hope you grow some common sense tat some Americans lack and think about who you are voting for.

Debra October 16, 2008, 2:03 PM

I agree with Lorie M. Besides that, if Obama makes president, they will be partying in the streets in Iraq. We don’t need Obama in the WhiteHouse, for president. We need McCain. McCain is not the only one that slams people. Open your eyes Andi, and Lisa. Do you want another great depression? Like Obama says: “We’ll look into it!”. Obama’s proposal will not work, BUT HEY!! “We’ll look into it!”

gem October 16, 2008, 2:07 PM

excuse me i meant “that”

Heather October 16, 2008, 3:03 PM

Bettyblue:
Your post is untrue and very misleading. If you had listened to Senator McCain’s entire response, you would have heard him say that the veterans, along with all of the other Americans that have attended his speeches are respectable people and he cares deeply for them. THEN he referenced the few “fringe” people that may have made horrendous remarks and he vehemently chastised them and said that they were deplorable and he didn’t agree with them. He also remarked that Obama has had some fanatics at his rallies that have shouted similar rants aimed at himself and Palin and he wasn’t going to hold Obama responsible for the actions of those individuals.

Before going off on a tirade, you should check your facts and listen to both sides of the story. I’ll bet that you cheered Obama on though when he said, repeatedly, that 100% of McCain’s ads are negative—even NBC analysts called Obama out on that lie…

Bridgette Garcia  October 16, 2008, 3:04 PM

What does Lawyer Mean???? Liar!! Isn’t that what all the lawyer jokes are about. I think people for get that!! let me ask you all a good question why did our ancestors move to this country??? to be free from Government and to have freedom of religion right!! I think Obama is good at being a Liar and I really like Mccain’s truthfulness that he brings to the table. He knows what he is gonna do and he know’s how to do it!!! I would hire Obama to be my Lawyer but not my president!!!

Drill Baby Drill !!! October 16, 2008, 3:33 PM

I’ve tried to post information about Obama’s tax plan and associations twice and they’re not showing up. Why is that happening? Suspicious!

McCain won!

Anonymous October 16, 2008, 4:00 PM

I agree with bridgette !!!
Obama cuz be my Lawyer not my president !!!

BELINDA LANDRM October 16, 2008, 4:03 PM

Bridgette Garcia, Do I know you. If so I am very surpise at your comment. Please baby get the facts

Travis’s Mom
Please respond

Lori M October 16, 2008, 4:06 PM

Drill Baby Drill The same thing happens to me…sometimes I write my comment three times before I get it through. The bottom line is Barack Obama’s tax plan is a socialist plan where government robs you of your hard earned money and gives it to those who choose not to work hard. If you want your hard earned money to go to welfare recipients then go ahead and vote for Barack Obama. Yeah, he’s right when he says the wealth will go around but I don’t think the ones having to pay for it to go around will be too happy. Barack Obama is lying just like Clinton did…I won’t raise your taxes he said. BULL! He did raise our taxes. He was a liar and so is Barack Obama. Don’t buy into this, he is fake. He’s a smooth talker and most smooth talkers are just liars. They know how to twist words to make you think they are on your side. He actually laid alot of the blame on the middle class last night by saying we have to stop living beyond our means and take responsibility for our spending. EXCUSE ME, but that’s not me! I have an excellent credit rating and have never missed a payment on anything and that’s the God’s honest truth. My husband and I work hard and if we can’t afford it then we don’t buy it. That’s that! So I resent Obama trying to blame the American people. If the Democrats would quit delaying drilling we could keep our gas prices down and people could afford to live again. How dare Obama blame us! This is the fault of all the crooked, bleeding heart politicians in Congress and the money hungry people on Wall Street. It’s not our fault. The only fault we take is in trusting them to be honest and do a good job. Apparently, we made a mistake we allowed Democrats two miserable years in Congress. Look at the chaos that has happened since they got in…Let’s get rid of them and get some reformers in. McCain and Palin I bet Congress is scared to death that they’ll get in…”What will they do with our private jets?!” HaHa!!! Ebay will be very busy! HaHa!!!

Lori M October 16, 2008, 4:08 PM

Janice October 16, 2008, 4:19 PM

Lori— I think you need to get some fresh air.

And I bet if you looked to see the political party of those money hungry Wall Street people at the top…they would be Republicans.

Palin would have to reform herself first…by not using tax payers money for her religious retreats for her and her family.

FAYEGALE October 16, 2008, 4:33 PM

Lori, I am so proud of you because after all its all about you “right”

Sounds like you as smooth as they come.

One thing about Clinton when he was in office American people was in a better state. So now, tell me do you enjoyed the high gas prices and the way Bush has ran thing in the hole. If so you also need to get the facts. So the question is do you want change are more of the same. Sound like you want more of the same. So if you do get over it. Because we need a change and it starts with Obama.