Guest blogger Tula Jeng: Give the Earth more treats and fewer tricks this Halloween by burying the old habit of using disposable trick-or-treat bags. Instead of purchasing spooky, molded plastic jack-o-lanterns or paper treat totes, why not look for unique, durable and eco-friendly candy carriers that can be reused and reanimated year after year?
It's easy to repurpose an old pillowcase with pumpkin appliqués and patches like mama used to do. Or, perhaps you'd like to test your slip-knot skills and crochet a ghoulish goodie bag. Whichever your poison, you'll rest in peace knowing that your little one is lugging their loot in an Earth-friendly sack.
However, if DIY isn't your bag, we've conjured up some bewitchingly sustainable totes for your waste-weary witches and warlocks. Constructed primarily from independent designers and crafters, many of these goodie bags are limited editions, so act fast before these treats cross over into the Otherworld.
1. Halloween Spider Purse ($5)
2. Dancing Spiders Trick-or-Treat Bag ($18)
3. Halloween Trick-or-Treat Satchel ($14.99)
4. Trick-or-Treat Bag with Ghost Appliqué ($13)
5. Haunted House Trick-or-Treat Bag ($20)
6. Devil Cat Bag ($27.95)
7. Chico Bag "Go Green this Halloween" Bag with carrying pouch ($4.95)
8. Black Kitty Felt Bag ($7)
9. Bertie the Bat Tote Bag ($37)
10. Treat Bag Crochet Pattern Pack ($7.99)