It's Friday, the end of a long work week -- and the girls want to get together for happy hour, have a couple of libations, nosh and chat. How do we avoid those dreaded fried appetizers?
The munchie menu at most establishments consists of fried tidbits, chips, pretzels and nuts, french fries, quesadillas, nachos ... get the picture? You don't have to miss out because you are a healthy eater -- you just have to plan a bit and do a little detective work on the menu.
Here are five tips from registered dietitian Diane Henderiks:
1. Eat a light snack before you go. It will help you make healthier food choices.
2. Watch calories in cocktails or skip it. Choose lite beer, wine or your favorite spirit mixed with seltzer and a splash of juice.
3. Know the calories you are drinking. Alcohol adds empty calories fast!
150 calories is equal to: 6 oz. of wine, 1.5 oz. of liquor, 16 oz. of lite beer, 12 oz. of regular beer.
4. Have seltzer or water between drinks.
5. For food selections choose: raw or steamed veggies with hummus or salsa, raw bar items, sushi (not tempura), garden salads (dressing on the side) and broth-based soups.
Also, whip up these appetizers to enjoy with the girls, courtesy of Diane Henderiks: