Women in Politics: Ballbusters or Whores

We've come along way, baby? Not really. No matter how far women get to breaking that glass ceiling we're still categorized as sex symbols or nut crackers.

palin-blowup-doll-hillary-clinton.jpg

The double standard is alive and well in politics. Recently, a "love doll" has hit the market of vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin. (Um, where's the John McCain blow up doll?!) "Sarah Palin is one hot pundit!," screams the press release for the This Is not Sarah Palin Inflatable Love Doll, distributed by Topco, an adult product company.

It's just sexist political novelty toy business as usual.

Last year, the The Hillary Nutcracker was the 'must have' item for anyone who felt threatened by the highly competent Senator Clinton. How are women ever going to enjoy true equality if we're reduced to cliches-- no matter how much we've accomplished?

hilary clinton doll sarah palin
Celeb Dolls Sarah Palin First Lady Fashions

next: Obama Plans Half-Hour Commercial During Primetime
foxymama October 10, 2008, 2:44 PM

Doesn’t make me mad at all. It’s funny.

Anonymous October 10, 2008, 3:54 PM

tell me some women don’t think about obama in that way?

Gibson  October 10, 2008, 4:14 PM

In the Texas primary, the Clinton campaign used posters of the Hillary Nutcracker with the line “It’s Crunch Time!” In other words, they were definitely not offended by it. The first woman elected President is going to have to appear tough. Hillary and Bill both signed Hillary Nutcrackers at many rallys. Lighten up!

Disrespect  October 10, 2008, 4:20 PM

It’s insulting. Woman don’t stand a chance of ever truly being taken seriously if we’re making blow up dolls of a candidate. Sarah Palin is a mother for goodness sake. Pay her the respect she deserves.

juli October 10, 2008, 7:09 PM

I think they’re both disgusting. And I think there is a double standard. Very rarely does a man get attention as an object. JFK. That’s about it. With women it’s always discussed. From Margaret Thatcher being mannish to Palin as a pageant queen. Almost all political men go under the radar—even when they have affairs!

I'll pass October 10, 2008, 9:13 PM

Anonymous said… tell me some women don’t think about Obama in that way?

Ew. No. McCain either.

a. October 10, 2008, 9:44 PM

I think it’s hilarious.

Charles Orlando October 10, 2008, 9:45 PM

@Juli: NO DOUBT! I just blogged on that exact topic—JFK and more—in response to this. It’s a complete double-standard…

Sara -- ?  October 10, 2008, 10:05 PM

can someone tell me how this is any different from marketing an obama doll eating a watermelon? Why isn’t Sexism considered as despicable as racism/??

anonymous October 10, 2008, 11:31 PM

I think she is doing a great job showing her interest isn’t about popularity but about family and the American people,she doen’t pretend to be someone she’s not.She has family issues the same as us worries about bills,education,America’s econamy.She has our best interest atthe top of her list.

Steve October 11, 2008, 12:32 AM

I want one of those dolls so I can do to Palin what she wants to do to the country.

chuck October 11, 2008, 8:36 PM

Look, Sarah has raw polical talent, she is every mans dream. This gal is better than any playboy centerfold. Hillary reminds everybody of a screeching x-wife. Beeooch.

Anonymous October 11, 2008, 8:38 PM

Hillary sucks, although not crank but crack.

Anonymous October 11, 2008, 8:43 PM

obama is an idiont to the n-th degree

Lori M October 13, 2008, 11:25 AM

I feel sorry for ignorant women who don’t understand how men can be total pigs! What the heck is wrong with you that you think it ok that a woman be represented in this manner? It is not funny at all! It outrages me that women are disrespected in this manner. SOME women are very intelligent and should be recognized for their accomplishments not their BOOBS! Those of you who laugh at this DO NOT UNDERSTAND the feminist movement. You put us “back in the kitchen, barefoot, and pregnant”. You are dumber than the men who exploit womem! Women have fought to overcome this since the 50’s and stuff like this just turns back the clock! If you are a smart woman you will surely be outraged!

Kelly October 13, 2008, 11:38 AM

Women should be respected. This is appauling to say the least!

Lori M October 13, 2008, 3:34 PM

Steve is a prime example of exactly what I am talking about: A total PIG! If you still think this is funny, you are just ridiculously ignorant. Stand up for what is right, whether it is within your party or not! Stop being a puppet for your party and open up your eyes. If there was an Obama doll with an Arab turbin on it’s head and a kuran in his hand would you think that was funny? I hope you get the point! If not, I feel sorry for you!

EK October 14, 2008, 10:33 PM

Can someone who said they thought “it” (what? the nutcracker? The Palin sex toy) was “funny,” can you give three reasons why it’s so terribly amusing and/or NOT a perpetuation of the public’s sexist views of public and high-achieving women?

I’m waiting.

Oh, and LoriM, it’s not men who are to blame; our social structure is. Men and women alike eat up this crap like ice cream. I’ve actually had women say to me: “Men are just naturally better at being in charge” and “women are too emotional to be world leaders.”

Lori M October 15, 2008, 11:09 AM

EK Yeah, it is very apparent that men are not the only ones to blame. Look at the first comment made by foxymama. Apparently, she doesn’t get it, like alot of women. Well, if they want to be portrayed as brainless, sex objects that should not be respected that’s their choice. But, for me and the women in my family we will continue to be outraged by this type of portrayal of women. Maybe, we are just a little more intelligent than the Pamela Anderson’s out there. I don’t want to remembered because of my boobs. I prefer to be remembered by the good things that I have done to make a difference here. The person who said “women are too emotional to be world leaders” must have seen Nancy Pelosi speaking. She is a borderline nut case. Pelosi just spouts off whatever comes to mind and doesn’t care if she looks ridiculously stupid and biased. Thankfully, Governor Palin isn’t a bleeding heart liberal like her. She’s tough and chooses her words wisely.

Who really Cares ? October 29, 2008, 1:38 PM

Who Cares…..it’s over and done with. They did it didn’t they? When will the WORLD learn, that “What we teach our children is acceptable today effects what will happen in the world tomorrow!” And I’m NOT just talking about religion OR Politics. How Sad…
We have become a world lead by nasty news, bad money, polititions, and con artists. And the real question is, Is any one of these things really good for the economy? If our polititions were forced to give 100% of their collected campaign funds back to the society, we’d have a survivor’s chance. Quit Mudslinging! But no, it’s all about the money, isn’t it? He who has the most….Wins! Think about it. It always has been, and always will be! Why even vote……Our opinion does NOT count! It’s the electoral votes that make or break history. And WHO has the electoral votes? People with the money! Any surprise? Not to me. And your just as silly and confused as others, if you think it matters. So, if you really want to make a differance, find out who’s behind all these weird toys and gimmics. Then you’ll find out their viewpoints, their reasoning, their involvement. And then after that, you’ll realize that it all boils down to you and I. They promise everything, invent distractions to make you forget about the fact that they’ve returned nothing, and leave you and I with the problem at hand……to survive! We, the low/middle class has no voice! We are left without the money and the frills of the upperclass to make any sort of differance. Don’t kid yourself. You know down deep it’s true. We have learned throughout history, to roll with the punches. It’s called survival. I just wonder how long this lowerclass ethnic cleasning will take? Armageddon….now there’s something to think about. Call it what you will. Is this it? There’s NOTHING we can do about it……we don’t hold any power to change what is to come, SO, Why make such a big issue about it? WHO REALLY CARES…..?