'I Kissed a Girl ... And Got Suspended!'

Three girls were recently punished for playing Katy Perry's smash hit "I Kissed a Girl" at a high school pep rally. Is this fair?

katy perry singing
Recently, three girls on a high school baton twirling team were suspended for playing Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" at a school pep rally in North Texas. The nerve!

Jordan Downey, one of the disciplined seniors who has twirled for the past four years, says she didn't think the school would really care about the song. "They told us that it probably won't be a very good idea, and then we decided, like, it's not a big deal, we'll just run for it, no one's going to care!"

However, school officials say the girls broke the student code of conduct and as punishment, will not be allowed to attend two football games and one pep rally.

But Downey said she thinks she and the other two girls were disciplined merely because the song is about a girl kissing another girl. "It's a song," says Downey. "It's just like any other song."

Jordon Downey's mother, Jane is sticking up for her daughter, saying the incident wasn't a big deal. She does agree, however, that Jordan broke the rules and should be punished.

next: Your Man Thinks You're Hotter in the Winter
foxymama October 2, 2008, 2:40 PM

I like the song - but not good for a school pep rally.

hmmm October 2, 2008, 5:17 PM

Where is all this politically correct BS coming from?
I don’t remember outrage when “Come On Feel The Noise, Girls Rock Your Boys” was played at my Jr. high dance.

Becca October 3, 2008, 5:51 AM

It just goes to show that schools so often punish things that don’t need to be! After all they could have warned the girls or written them up! However a suspension is a bit much! I worked in the schools for over 4 years and have seen countless times where kids should have been suspended and weren’t and vise versa! I think part of the issue of them correctly punishing is that they try to make examples out of students. They also don’t have enough control over issue now that parents always but their noses in! I agree parents should have a say but it also hurts the schools when they can’t punish your kids out of fear of being taken to court over it!While this incident shouldn’t have happened it did and I think other kids need to take it as a warning to respect school policy!

Ki October 3, 2008, 7:19 AM

They were told “it probly wouldn’t be a good idea”, which to them sounded like “We don’t really care”. A coach should have stepped in and said “No”

Lourdes October 3, 2008, 11:49 AM

Ki I completely agree with you. I was about to use the exact same thing you did until I read your posting. It’s true. If they were going to get in trouble for playing that song they should’ve told them they could NOT play it. But they said “wouldn’t be a good idea” where do you hear “NO”! Nowhere. And her mother has every right to defend her. How ignorant of the school to suspend them. The song plays on over hundereds of radio stations across the country, even on Spanish stations. Obviously, not everyone seems to have a problem with it.

birdsfly October 3, 2008, 12:24 PM

They have a problem with this song but not all of the other sexually suggestive songs cheerleaders and dance squads use for pep rally routines. swell.

Lourdes October 3, 2008, 12:32 PM

Like Bubba Sparx Booty Rockin’ Everywhere,I Wanna F*ck You by Akon, I’m in Love with A Stripper, Brittany Spears Oops I didn’t Again “Video”, All kinds of other songs. TOO MANY TO NAME!

Missy October 3, 2008, 4:56 PM

DUMB. Its a cute song. Besides, they will soon be in college to find out more…

chrissylou October 3, 2008, 5:35 PM

It is true that many highschool dance teams do their routines to very suggestive songs, as a mom I am often embarassed to be sitting at a game watching the halftime show. I wonder if I am watching highschool dancers, or strippers. It shows a lack of good judgment by the coach who is ultimatley to blame, not the girls.

JaNohn March 14, 2009, 8:06 PM

You know what. I hate that stupid song. It goes against everything I am teaching my children. I agree, the HS should have told them NO. But what makes me mad about this entire situation is that they probably don’t ban songs the sexually degrade women. As parents, teachers and administrators we need to be clear that the school environment needs to remain as neutral as possible. I know it’s hard, but the excuse of it plays everywhere is not acceptable. Everywhere is not a safe place; school should be.

Until my children are out my house, I plan on monitoring what they hear.They have and will hear things that go against our faith however, we have the opportunity to talk about it and allow them to form the appropriate judgment.

Hearing a song like this at school, not just from a fellow student condones the activity. Girls kissing girls or boys is not a song that a dance team should be dancing to, even in HS. Explore your sexuality on your own time.

amber April 17, 2009, 10:54 PM

i think that playing the song “i kissed a girl” at a school pep rally is perfectly ok.at my school we have a large population of homosexual and bisexual kids who all love the song we love playing the songin study halls and our teachers and principal all love the song.so to be punished for playing a simple song is outragous even if it talks about two girls kissing.and as the ones being punished take in now cause once you get into the world it wont matter wat sexuality u are if u have a degree,a profitable job, and a house (apartment),u could be a thousand dollars.ur untouchable(not to be taken literally)except for the govt theyll pound you like a rock.and now that im ranting (a good rant but a rant none the less)i better go

downlaod full movies September 11, 2010, 8:03 PM

Well, I agree with what you wrote, but not with all of it. Regardless, it’s all very good material. Thanks!

ebook western torrents March 15, 2011, 5:21 AM

Please, keep up the awesome work and continue to post topics like this. I am really fan of your site. %WEBSITE%