I'm Scared Barack Obama Will Win

Momlogic's Winter: With Barack Obama in the White House, will it spell danger for African Americans everywhere?

Barack Obama, Daniel Cowart, Paul Schlesselman

My heart is still pounding with fear from reading about two skinheads and their assassination attempt on the presidential candidate. The fact that they were trying to kill him doesn't surprise me -- in fact, I'm surprised that more idiots haven't given it a shot at this point in the game. What scared me was that they were planning to go state to state to kill other African Americans -- including children.

I had to do a double take. Is this not 2008? Haven't we been able to achieve at least some of what Martin Luther King Jr. set out in his famous "I Have a Dream Speech," namely that we as blacks can go to school with whites, work the same occupations, climb the corporate ladder and live pretty much anywhere without fear of burning crosses in our front yards? Yet the fact that a mass killing of African Americans is a pleasant thought to many tells me that maybe we haven't come as far as we thought.

Reportedly there is a margin of African Americans that will not be voting for Obama because they're afraid of his assassination. Until today, I thought that was ridiculous. After all, why should some backwards white supremacists influence the way I choose to vote? Why should I live in fear? However, given the plans of these two men, I, as an African American woman, am beginning to wonder what will happen if he does win.

Will all the Ku Klux Klan members come skulking out of their holes, armed with a gun and a mask, ready to kill the rest of us because a half African man is running the country? Should my elderly relatives down south pick up and move? Worse yet, is it possible that the fallout from having a black man in the White House could erase 60 years of what we have called "progress"?

To be honest, I didn't think I would live to see the day when there would be a black man in office -- and I'm only 27. And, like the rest of the nation, I am biting my nails in anticipation of what will happen on Tuesday -- though I know who I am rooting for. But greater than that, I have to admit I am a little scared of what will happen the day after.

And the day after.

next: Campbell Brown Announces Pregnancy on 'The Daily Show'
chris October 28, 2008, 3:58 PM

I understand your fear because I worry if Barack becomes president the terrorist will come back!

Anonymous October 28, 2008, 4:26 PM

Our last President was a white man. That didn’t work out to well for us. White is described as a melting pot. Not a melting pot lead by only white men. Get over it people. Skin color isn’t even skin deep.

Lynn October 28, 2008, 6:05 PM

We can’t live our lives in fear of the “what if’s”
I’m voting for Obama. There are sick people out there and we can’t let them control our lives.

ANDREA ROUSE-BALDWIN  October 28, 2008, 6:31 PM

I AM NOT AFRAID TO VOTE ON 11.04.2008 I AM HOWEVER AFRAID OF THE ELECTION BEING RIGGED AGAIN! ARE WE AS AMERICANS AFRAID OF A AFRICAN AMERICAN PRESIDENT “CLEANING UP THE CORRUPT POLITICANS / BOYS CLUB BUREAUCY” WHAT ARE WE REALLY AFRAID OF IF OR WHEN BARACK BECOMES PRESIDENT?

ame i. October 28, 2008, 6:42 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I’ll tell you that these two bubbas would probably have gotten themselves caught before they were able to cause any damage. They are from a town about 20 minutes from mine, and being held in the jail of my town. Stupid doesn’t even begin to describe them.
Now, I will be honest and say something most white folks will not. Racism IS still rampant, especially in the South. The perps range from white-trash who never made it past the 5th grade, to upper class so-called Christians. Heck, my own father-in-law, a life-time Democrat, is compagning (sp??) for McCain solely because Obama is black. I have close, blood relatives I keep my children from having contact with because I know they will drop the N word without thinking twice.
Our nation has long been run by rich white men. I don’t know for sure that Obama will be able to do any better because I do know some of the “old-school” white men in Washington will fight him tooth and nail out of spite, but I’m willing to give him a chance to try.

Democrats 08 October 28, 2008, 9:10 PM

Don’t ever fear the weak, cowardly and pitifully insecure, ever.

Obama / Biden All The Way

abe October 28, 2008, 9:51 PM

This is why I think Obama will be good at fighting terrorism. Those white supremacists are terrorists, not any different from the ones that we are supposedly fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Clearly, Obama isn’t scared, which is what we need in a leader. Bush flinched big time and lost his judgment (if he ever had any) by overreacting and screwing up (which is probably what the terrorists wanted anyway). Bush acts like he’s tough, but if you think about it, anyone can be tough if they have the most powerful military behind them. In reality he’s like an insecure tough guy. Obama, like Martin Luther King, Lincoln, Kennedy, Ghandi, etc have strength in their convictions and are in a completely different category than Bushy. That being said, I worry for Obama because of these domestic terrorists, how they all seem to be of the republican persuasion, and how McCain/Palin rallies seem to bring out the worst in their supporters. Prayers and crossed fingers for Obama.

Anonymous October 28, 2008, 10:17 PM

I’m scared that if he does get assasinated, the riots that will follow will be insanely astronomical. It would start a new race war in this country of the likes we have never seen. It’s sad because I want him to win yet I’m afraid too. But I’m still more afraid NOT to vote for him because the alternative is scary too.

mary October 28, 2008, 10:25 PM

abe, the McCain/Palin rallies do not bring out the “worst” in their supporters… they bring out the best in their supporters and the “worst” in the lowlife scum who are there for the wrong reasons, just like the lowlife scum who show up at Obama rallies wearing misogynistic slogans on their t-shirts or shout out demeaning things against women. Lowlife scum are lowlife scum, period. Please don’t confuse republicans with these scum because there are scum who happen to be democrats, too.

With that said, I do have a real concern that Obama will have an attempt made to take his life. And I’m scared for any fall-out from that as well. I think people of all colors will be very angry if he is killed. I do disagree with the other poster though in that I don’t think this gives him an edge on dealing with terrorism! These white supremacists are very different than the terrorists abroad, and very different levels of sophistication and means to carry out their visions. This does not give Obama an edge, please don’t be fooled into thinking that. People need to stop seeing Obama as anything other than “a man”. He’s gotten the nickname Messiah because people are expecting him to heal the world, take care of the bad guys, and part the oceans and give us clean energy sources and all that stuff.

Jan October 28, 2008, 10:33 PM

My only concern is that the fear-based, devisive,’linch mob’ Palin mentality will rule. The only evil is Palin. She is unethical, uses people & situations, tells lies and is proud of it. She is arrogant and not bright; she has no capacity to process information nor has she any interest in diplomcay. She and her husband are the only terrorists in the campaign. If something happens to Obama the blood is on her hands and her linch mob fan with their “let’s kill him” fervor.

mary October 28, 2008, 11:00 PM

Oh my goodness, Jan… your post is just as ‘evil’ as the words you are throwing around. Obama was already a target long before Palin stepped into the picture. It has nothing to do with Palin. Again, a few lowlife scum at a rally does not translate into “let’s kill him fervor”. Good grief.

annoymous October 28, 2008, 11:03 PM

I agree with much of Obama’s campaign, though I do not agree with some of the people voting, I happened to come across a few african american that said they were voting for him, I asked if they had any knowledge on his policies, they did not. It goes to show the majority of the votes are being based on skin color.

Bill October 29, 2008, 2:29 AM

Why don’t people reason well? “I came across a few african american…..It goes to show that the majority…”
A few is not a majority! Learn to think and reason and democracy can be maintained other wise it will wither and die as more rash idiotic reasoning is propagated!

Anonymous October 29, 2008, 5:03 AM

I really admire Dr. Martin Luther King, but Obama is nothing as him. I am from Mexico, living in Mexico, and I cann’t understand how an American couldn’t see it. Obama is not as Martin L. King, is not… Martin Luther King was a real christian heroe… we has the blessing of God, he talked words from his spirit, Obama talks words from his mind, his desires, his own desires…

I am really worry about what will happen with that wonderful country callled United States when that man, Obama, win. I don’t know why, but I have really bad feelings about this man, and, as me… many people here. I think he is not a good person. Many strange things there are around him…

I have admired United States for a long time… You have been a great nation, may be, one of the greatest in all the human history. But, the Bible said that is necessary that a new kingdom over the world began… so, USA have to decline. Many people think that it is Europe. I hope you can understand what I am trying to tell you.

I could never think that my eyes could see it… but, now I am almost sure I will see it… We pray to God, he opens the eyes of Americans… because, you have been an key part of the development of may countries, economically, socially, and, most important, spiritually through christianity and we appreciate it so much.

Terrible bad things for USA could become with Obama in WH… Please, open your eyes… Although, I have the hope… American people can see the true… and know that their country was built by the grace of God. And that man, Obama, doesn’t seem, not at all, as a christian…

I hope you have the blessing for God, because bad times are comming for the world, including America. Many people all around the world will be praying for the marcy of God over USA, specially in this ellection… but you, American people, have to be able to see beyond the commun things… not everthing that shines is gold… And the evel always has customers of goodness.

God Bless you America!

D Upson October 29, 2008, 7:47 AM

I’m not afraid of voting for Barack, or what will happen to him. I know that if we keep him and his family lifted in Prayer, that everything will be OK! I’m confident that he’s “The One” who can led us “through the path” out from the arms of the Bushs’, Chaney’s and McCain’s politics, he is the righteous one! AMEN

Charles October 29, 2008, 10:48 AM

An attempt was made on the life of Andrew Jackson on January 30, 1835. Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth on April 14, 1865. You don’t have to be black for people to hate you.

will October 29, 2008, 11:59 AM

Don’t be scared.

Apple Chap October 29, 2008, 1:53 PM

You tell it! I was thinking what you wrote, but was to afraid to say it out loud. Prayers are what we need.

xinunus October 29, 2008, 2:21 PM

Lets be honest here. If she was a Democrat the media would be backing its removal but because she is a Republican the “NOT SO MAINSTREAM MEDIA” could care less. That is why the “NOT SO MAINSTREAM MEDIA” thinks when a Democrat minority runs for office its HISTORIC but when a Republican minority runs its attack attack attack time. Look at how the “NOT SO MAINSTREAM MEDIA” portrayed Pelosi as the first female speaker of the house, Obama as the first black president candidate, as Hillary as the first female president candidate is HISTORIC. HAVE YOU HEARD ONCE, JUST ONCE, ANY PART OF THE “NOT SO MAINSTREAM MEDIA” DECLARE Sarah Palin RUNNING AS VP AS HISTORIC? NO YOU HAVENT. BECAUSE YOUR ALL BEING PLAYED LIKE FOOLS BY THE “NOT SO MAINSTREAM MEDIA”. THE WOMEN IN THIS COUNTRY SHOULD BE PISSED AT THE WAY PALIN HAS BEEN TREATED. IT’S SEXIST AND PRETTY DMAN PATHETIC!!!!!!

Family Outcast October 30, 2008, 10:55 AM

This election is the first election that has ever struck fear in me. Not only have a seen the rash of racism still left our country, I have learned that my family, whom I thought were educated civil minded people are just the opposite. While sitting at my grandmother’s house a few weeks ago, I heard not only my grandmother, but most of my aunt’s spewing racist nonsense from their mouths. I couldn’t believe my ears! my grandmother used the ‘n’ word to describe obama, and my jaw hit the floor. i left without saying a word about it because i knew my words would fall of deaf ears. I cannot believe that the family i grew up in has views that are so far from my own, and that i never realized how hateful they could be. MY OWN SISTER is a bit of a racist, and we grew up side by side. I don’t understand it, but i’m not afraid to vote for the man i know will turn this country around! in fact i already voted for him yesterday.