Jennifer Hudson's Mom Found Dead

UPDATE: Arrest made in double murder of mother and brother.

hudsons mom

TMZ is reporting that Jennifer Hudson's mother Darnell Hudson Donerson was one of two victims shot and killed in her Chicago home earlier today. A neighbor tells TMZ the other victim was Jennifer's brother Jason.

Essence reports Jennifer is the youngest of three children. She was very close with her mother. In fact, Darnell was the first person Hudson called after landing the part on "Dreamgirls." "I was on the phone to my mom right away. There was a little celebration," Jennifer told OK!

Last month, Jennifer Hudson announced she was engaged to be married. Our thoughts go out to Jennifer and her family during this difficult time.

UPDATE: An all points bulletin has been issued for Hudson's 7-year-old nephew who may have been taken from the scene. Police are looking for 1994 white Suburban with the license plate X584859.

hudson nephew

UPDATE: Police are looking for William Balfour (seen below), who they claim could be with the missing 7-year-old. According to records, Balfour listed Hudson's mother's address as a place of residence within the last year. According to the Illinois Department of Corrections website, Balfour is currently on parole after serving jail time for attempted murder. According to People magazine, the man is believed to be the boy's father.

william balfour

UPDATE: Lost in all this is Jennifer's sister Julia, mother of the missing 7-year-old, reports TMZ. She reportedly works as a bus driver in Chicago. Her employer told TMZ she worked her shift today. She hasn't been seen since.

UPDATE: According to TMZ, a WBBM reporter is saying that neighbors have said a family member in the Hudson household apparently tried to steal a car a few weeks ago, an argument ensued, and he vowed revenge. A photo on Julia's MySpace page posted prior to today's events alludes to some kind of dispute with William over a car.

UPDATE: TMZ reports William Balfour has been taken into custody but not charged. Hudson's nephew, Julian, is still missing. Balfour is reportedly refusing to cooperate with police or supply information.

next: Get into the Halloween Spirit!
Nicole October 24, 2008, 7:07 PM

Wat did this really happen I can’t believe this I hope God heals Jennifer and whoever killed her mother,brother, and kidnapped her nephew if u see this u WILL be SEVERLY punnished

R.D. Humphrey October 24, 2008, 7:14 PM

This is a truly sad and despicable event, I pray that person or person(s) will be apprehended as soon as possible. Jennifer Hudson is truly blessed and our Savior, Jesus Christ will help her and her family through this ordeal. As a fan, our condolescences are with her at this time.

Tula Garris October 24, 2008, 7:15 PM

My family will be praying for you Jennifer, along with all of your other family members. Peace and Love

Jane  October 24, 2008, 7:56 PM

This is so sad! My thoughts & prayers are with her family…

Xania Craig October 24, 2008, 8:00 PM

Poor Jennifer…. She seems like such a sweet girl. May her family members rest in peace.

Christy October 24, 2008, 8:18 PM

OMG..this is such a Horrible and heartbreaking thing to happen to anyone.
It doesnt matter whether your a celebrity or not. my prayers are with her, and for her to be able to get through this the best she can.

mary October 24, 2008, 8:45 PM

This is so sad! I hope they find the little boy, and my prayers will be for Jennifer and her family tonight. I can’t imagine the pain of losing loved ones to violence like that!

Adriana October 24, 2008, 9:01 PM

I know she is probably unconsolable right now, I can feel her pain. I also know the heartache of losing a brother due to violence. She is losing two family members at once. Let all of our prayers touch her heart and hopefully allow her to cope with this horrible tragedy.

april October 24, 2008, 9:10 PM

just shows you someone can “have it all” and it is all taken away in an instant…I will pray for her. We all experience tragedy in life, none of us can escape it. I am praying they find the nephew.

Linda Pitts October 24, 2008, 10:22 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your tragedy. I know how it feels to lose a mother, but not a brother. Put your faith in God and he will see you through. When I was dealing with the lost of my mom, I kept reading St. John 14:1, it seems to give me strength. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

kia October 24, 2008, 10:47 PM

sorry for the lose of your mom and brother.i pray for the safe return of your nephew an your sister.keep god first and remember he will get you through this just be strong.

Rowena Green October 24, 2008, 11:24 PM

MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHT ARE WITH YOU. SORRY FOR YOUR LOST GOD WILL GET YOU THROUGH THIS. I’M PRAYING FOR YOUR STRENGTH IN THE LORD.

wisdomone October 24, 2008, 11:28 PM

Their r no words I can say t you to make u feel any comfort but god is in control and he does not put more on u than u can bare.

may god continue to watch over u and ur family.

MO October 24, 2008, 11:38 PM

I hope and pray that the Lord will put it all together for jen and family.I can say by losing my sister by murder Jesus will help her through it all….
GOD BLESS THEM ALL.EVEN THE MAN WHO DID IT.GOD WILL HAVE HIS GLORY BELIEVE THAT..
THANKS..

Gee Gee October 25, 2008, 3:14 AM

I know that at this time nothing anyone says will help to heal your wound,but know that in time you will come to accept that we have no control over and we must trust and humble to gods divine wisdom. This is not a mistake or a by chance happening. God called their sprits back home to soar to the next phase of order, only the flesh that housed the spirit was destroyed,it was only a temporary house, you might not remember,but,you choose to come through it. Accept and respect god doing what he knows is best. You will heal in time if you accept that god has full reign over this and all things. god bless

Ola October 25, 2008, 6:43 AM

My prayers go out to you and your family. I Pray that God will give you the strength you need to get through this terrible tragedy. May God forever bless you.

penni October 25, 2008, 6:54 AM

I know what it is like to lose a brother and your Mother ,there is no pain I know that is greater , but I also know that time is a great healer it doesn’t make the pain go awy nothing will ever do that it just makes it a lil easier to deal with from day to day you hold on to the good memories someone may have taken them fromyou but the one thing thy can never take from you is the memories those or with you forever so therefore they are with you FOREVER! We allbelong to God and we are only loned to each other for a lil while to touch someone heart in one way or another and then he calls us back because we are his .I miss my mo and my brother every day of my life and this will never change but I know one day whenever I am finihed doing whatever it is our Father sent me here to do he will call me back and I’ll be seeing them again and sometimes it hurts so much it feels like a hot knife in my chest but I close my eyes and I have my memories and I smile because knowone can take them from me. so keep your head up Jennifer don’t dispair you can make it, I did just call on Jesus you know he there.My prayes are with you and there for you Farmily as well an I know they Will return your nephew to you safe and sound peace

Rochelle October 25, 2008, 9:07 AM

My thoughts and Prayer go out to you and your family Jennifer I know how it feels to loose your mother I lost mine in 2006 and I miss her evryday But God heals all wounds as well as time. And they are in are in a better place because we live in a mean and cruel world where there is nothing but heartache and pain. Just remember she walking around on that street paved with Gold and singing glorious songs in our fathers masion with your father and brother. It is a sad situation of how it happened, but they have a new life one that we can only dream of they are with God. Keep your Head Up. TheY Love and she will always watch over you.

JANET October 25, 2008, 10:40 AM

Lord, we come to you today to touch the hearts of Jennifer, Julia and their family. Return Julian safely to these sisters. May their mom and brother find rest in your Kingdom. I also pray that the person who did this horrific act ask for your forgiveness Lord. It is not for our understanding but yours. IN JESUS NAME WE PRAY AMEN.

Shirley Ragland October 25, 2008, 12:58 PM

Jennifer, you have my deepest sympathy on your lost, stay strong, keep your head up and I will keep you and yoour family in my prayers god bless you.